Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
constantmotion

Friends: (0)
Default Large Scale Piper J-3 Cub Help

I have just acquired a large scale Piper J-3 Cub Gasser for free. It was flown one time about 7 years ago and put up. From my measurements, I believe that it is a 1/5th scale. Wingspan is 85". Width of the wing is 15 1/2". Fuselage is 60 1/2" long (without cowl from front of fuse to the end of the rudder). The fuselage is 6 1/2" wide (at the widest point). I am trying to figure out who made this kit. From my research, I believe that it's a SIG, but I don't know where their length measurement starts and ends. The other things that has me puzzled is, there is no access door on the side and the wing is one solid piece. Most large scale Cubs have a two piece wing. I am sure that might was built to have a solid wing or access door.

Any help would be appreciated. I can provide more pics or measurements if needed.

It weights in at around 10lbs without motor and fuel tank. I am going to convert it to electric. I plan one pulling all the monocoat off and redoing it. While it's off, I am going to try lightening it up a little bit. I have ordered the SIG cowl to see if it'll work out.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
constantmotion

I pulled the covering off the wing today and good thing I did. It had some dirt dobber nests in it. There was some sort of a rattle in the center section, so I pulled all the balsa sheets off. It doesn't look like the plans called for a splittable wing. It doesn't look jerry rigged to make it solid. Might just resheet what I pulled off and leave it be.

I did find an instrument panel in the rear of the fuselage. It looks exactly like the Hangar 9 one. But I cannot find any kits (current or discontinued) within my wingspan range. The Robart landing gear is what took me to Hanger 9. Their description for the 1/4 scale gear mentioned "For the Hangar 9 & Sig and any other 1/4 Scale Cub's with up to a 6 1/2" wide Fuselage". The 1/5 scale was for 5 1/8" wide fuselage

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...?ProdID=HAN183
Old 03-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
I have just acquired a large scale Piper J-3 Cub Gasser for free. It was flown one time about 7 years ago and put up. From my measurements, I believe that it is a 1/5th scale. Wingspan is 85". Width of the wing is 15 1/2". Fuselage is 60 1/2" long (without cowl from front of fuse to the end of the rudder). The fuselage is 6 1/2" wide (at the widest point). I am trying to figure out who made this kit. From my research, I believe that it's a SIG, but I don't know where their length measurement starts and ends. The other things that has me puzzled is, there is no access door on the side and the wing is one solid piece. Most large scale Cubs have a two piece wing. I am sure that might was built to have a solid wing or access door.

Any help would be appreciated. I can provide more pics or measurements if needed.

It weights in at around 10lbs without motor and fuel tank. I am going to convert it to electric. I plan one pulling all the monocoat off and redoing it. While it's off, I am going to try lightening it up a little bit. I have ordered the SIG cowl to see if it'll work out.
I flew one like that in the late 1990's, using an Astroflight Geared 90 brush type motor with 38 nicad cells. Weight was 16 pounds. That motor turned a 20X10 standard wood prop at around 5900 RPM, for just under 1000 watts. This provided for about a 50 foot take off run off of short grass. I put several hundred flights on it, before selling it to a guy that was planning to put a glow engine in it.

The model flew very well with this power setup. Nowdays, one of the brushless motors rated at perhaps 1000 - 1500 watts would work well. Such as a Hacker A60 series motor. You need to turn a big prop at low RPM for this model. It is not designed to fly fast.

Note that this model REQUIRES the use of the rudder during turns to adjust for adverse yaw. It will turn with ailerons, but looks very strange with the wings banked for a South turn, while the nose looks headed North.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
constantmotion

I think I have the scale figured out. Clipped wing 1/4 scale.

Standard 1:1 J-3 Cub has a 35’-1-1/2 Wingspan. 1/5 scale is 84.3" 1/4 scale is 105.375"
Clipped wing standard 1:1 J-Cub has a 28’-5-1/2 Wingspan. 1/5 scale is 68.3" 1/4 scale is 85.375"

Mine is a smidgen over 85"

I am another step closer. The build instructions for the SIG 1/4 Clipped Wing J-3 cub are identical. Solid wing, bracing is the same, etc. The wing build is the same construction unlike other brands of this scale.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

I think I have the scale figured out. Clipped wing 1/4 scale.

Standard 1:1 J-3 Cub has a 35-1-1/2 Wingspan. 1/5 scale is 84.3" 1/4 scale is 105.375"
Clipped wing standard 1:1 J-Cub has a 28-5-1/2 Wingspan. 1/5 scale is 68.3" 1/4 scale is 85.375"

Mine is a smidgen over 85"

I am another step closer. The build instructions for the SIG 1/4 Clipped Wing J-3 cub are identical. Solid wing, bracing is the same, etc. The wing build is the same construction unlike other brands of this scale.
Mine was a full 1/4 scale, for a 9 foot wingspan.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC
Friends: (2)

What in the heck is that thing hanging off the front with the prop. Is that a old Maloney engine
Old 03-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
constantmotion

Originally Posted by Big Johnny View Post
What in the heck is that thing hanging off the front with the prop. Is that a old Maloney engine
I found out that it's a 2 stroke chainsaw engine.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

It sure looks like an old Maloney engine.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
PaperAirplane
Subscribed...

Club: None (yet...)
Friends: (7)

It's amazing how the wood still looks fresh underneath all that nasty covering. Looks like it could turn out a nice plane for sure.

Hanger: GWS Slow Stick; Nutball
Old 03-25-2011, 02:34 AM   #10
constantmotion

This is how it sits as of now.....hadn't made much progress.

Waiting on some materials. Going to make an access door. I have ordered an interior from dbalsa.com
Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
cpmalish

Club: C.A.R.D.S. Lansing MI
Friends: (5)

thats a good looking cub I have a 1/6 scale that I put together a while back it was a ARF made by green models I did a build thread on here but if your taking yours this far down probably nothbing I did will help but can't wait to see it completed,Chris
Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Nice Cub here is a Good 1300 Watt motor that will Power up a 13 + Pound plane, its a 90 size Equall with a 100 AMP ESC Combo for $99.99 , use a 7 Cell lipo battery, one 4 cell and one 3 cell hooked in series, because the 100 AMP ESC is limited to a 7 cell lipo only, Hope that helps, Chellie

you will need to use a high voltage UBEC as the 100 AMP ESC does not come with a BEC.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ubhvoulbe.html

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...b23488b28347b5

0.90 Gas Conversion - GH4130-08 & 100A ESC
[Combo - 4130]Regular Price: $129.99
Special Price: $99.99
Click to enlarge

Powerful motor replacement for .60-.90 size glow engine airplanes
Motor Stats
Wire Winds / Turns: 16
Ni-Mh Battery : 16 - 24 cells
Li-Po Battery : 5 / 8 cells
RPM per volt : 380
Max efficiency : 88%
Max efficiency current : 18 - 40A (>81%)
No Load Current / 10V : 1.5A
Max Current : 60A / 60 sec
Dimension : 50 x 65mm
Shaft : 6mm
Max Watts: 1300W
Continuous Watts: 1000W
Weight : 400g (14oz)
Recommended Model Weight : 3,000 - 6,000g (6.6 lbs to 13.25 lbs)

Grayson / Welgard 100A ESC

Advanced Edition
  • Weight: 84 .9 grams / 2.99 oz..
  • Size: 3.11 x 1.77 x 0.89 in. in. (79.1 x 45 x 22)
  • Battery Input: 2-7 Li-Poly Cells
  • Throttle Calibration: Auto
  • Constant Current: 100 A
  • Max Current: 125A / 10 Sec
  • AUTO CELL DETECT!!!
  • BEC: None (see below)
  • Timing: Programmable - 1/7/15/30
  • High rate Switching: Programmable - 8/16K
  • Voltage cutoff: Programmable
  • Brake: Programmable On/Off
  • Auto shut down when signal is lost
No Onboard BEC. Requires External U-BEC (Battery Eliminating Circuit)

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

with 7 cells, its a good idea to use a anti spark device.

http://mgm-compro.com/pdf/en-antispark-d230808.pdf

Here are some Ways of mounting the Electric motor to the plane that might be of help.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39483

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
constantmotion

Chellie....thanks for that info. I was actually looking at that motor last night. I didn't like that ESC b/c it was only limited to 7cells. I found a Turnigy motor (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4913) that is pretty close to that one. I know most most of the Grayson Hobby motor are just rebadged Turnigy motors anyway.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Chellie....thanks for that info. I was actually looking at that motor last night. I didn't like that ESC b/c it was only limited to 7cells. I found a Turnigy motor (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4913) that is pretty close to that one. I know most most of the Grayson Hobby motor are just rebadged Turnigy motors anyway.
Hi The larger Turnigy Motors dont seem to hold up very well, I think the BP motors are made by Gemini but i could be wrong, I like the smaller Gold Turnigy Motors, 40mm cans and smaller, but the larger turnigy motors seem to like to throw magnets, unless they are glued in some more with high temp epoxy, You might want to look into using a E-Flite 90 motor or power 90, they seem to be a little better than the turnigy motors, with out costing a lot more, Just my 2 cents worth, Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...e-Power90.html

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Brushles.../dp/B0013B2BFW

Old 03-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
constantmotion

Didn't know that. Thanks. I was thinking that I might try to splurge a little on the motor just b/c this plane is a lot more expensive and fragile that my others.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

I have had excellent service from the Exceed Monster Power Motors from Hobby Partz. I have their Monster .32, .46, .60 & 1.10. The Price is right too. The Monster 1.10 on 8s1p 5000 would pull that Cub till the cows come home. The only problem is finding an inexpensive HV ESC. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Castle ICE 75 ESC http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVJN1&P=ML I made the right decision.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Is it me or the camera, or is the fuselage twisted/bent?.. Kooking at the front view in the first post the wing saddle looks well out of line with the rest of the fuselage

Guess you can sort this out during the re-build.

Steve
Old 04-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
constantmotion

It might be the camera phone doing that. The plane had a rough landing on it's first and only flight several years ago and the damage happened right behing the wing straddle on the port side. I haven't seen anything out of whack. I will double check that to be sure.

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Is it me or the camera, or is the fuselage twisted/bent?.. Kooking at the front view in the first post the wing saddle looks well out of line with the rest of the fuselage

Guess you can sort this out during the re-build.

Steve
Old 04-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #20
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

I'm an admitted Hacker nut, but with 7 of them that have three years flying on them, they've all performed well. No problems what so ever, except for one crash with a model where one aileron came completely off during flight due to bad design of the aileron hinges. That bent up the motor shaft and ball dented the bearings. A call to Hacker got me new bearings and a shaft for less than $20 for a Hacker A40-12L motor. (Replacing those parts is not for the faint of heart, best to have Hacker do it.)

And, I'm running all of them right at their maximum peak power rating. After landing they usually are about 10-15 degrees F above ambient temperature, as measured by a thermocouple temperature probe on a Fluke 87V digital multimeter.

http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Bru...By-Series.aspx

And these motors perform within 5 or 10% of predicted values as indicated by www.motocalc.com. Something that is not always true on some other name brand motors.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #21
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

View BEAR-AvHistory's Gallery13
Club: Raleigh Durham Radio Control AMA Club #733

Been running this motor on a 5S5000, 80amp ESC, 7.5amp UBEC & a 15X8 cherry wood prop (all from Hobby King) for about 14 months. Plane weighs 12lbs AUW with a 94" WS.

Flys very well at 50% throttle. Use 100% only at the end of a long run scale takeoff. At 100% power it pulls 1250watts @ 66amps

Also have a 1/4 scale 15lb Piper PA-12 running on a SK 5065/270 & 8S batteries (4X2) which would be overkill for 10lb plane.

Regardless of which brand motor you settle on something in the 1200-1300 watt range should have enough extra power to get you out of any trouble

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	telemount.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	146617
Click image for larger version

Name:	pa12motor.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	146618

Kevin
Old 04-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #22
constantmotion

I did end up getting the motor/esc combo from Grayson Hobby. It's a .90 sized brushless motor. It's a 4130-08 380KV. I'll give it a try. Now to try to figure out the motor mount length and prop size. Once that's done, the electrics will be complete and I can finish up a little more wood work and then decided on the covering. I am not sure if I want to waste the money and try it myself and pay someone else to do it. I have never done any covering before.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #23
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
I'm an admitted Hacker nut, but with 7 of them that have three years flying on them, they've all performed well. No problems what so ever, except for one crash with a model where one aileron came completely off during flight due to bad design of the aileron hinges. That bent up the motor shaft and ball dented the bearings. A call to Hacker got me new bearings and a shaft for less than $20 for a Hacker A40-12L motor. (Replacing those parts is not for the faint of heart, best to have Hacker do it.)

And, I'm running all of them right at their maximum peak power rating. After landing they usually are about 10-15 degrees F above ambient temperature, as measured by a thermocouple temperature probe on a Fluke 87V digital multimeter.

http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Bru...By-Series.aspx

And these motors perform within 5 or 10% of predicted values as indicated by www.motocalc.com. Something that is not always true on some other name brand motors.
Yaeh I know Hackers are the Cats Meow, but I had to save up to buy my last Hacker.(A60 20M) Most of the time, I have to go the best bang for the buck route. I work the mess out of the Monsters and yet to have one bite the dust.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #24
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Big Johnny View Post
Yaeh I know Hackers are the Cats Meow, but I had to save up to buy my last Hacker.(A60 20M) Most of the time, I have to go the best bang for the buck route. I work the mess out of the Monsters and yet to have one bite the dust.
LOL
I started buying parts for my Extra 330 Giant Scale model back in October. Finally got enough parts to complete the model in January. The cost of these larger models sky rockets with the third power of the wingspan of the model

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft