Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
tehlump

Friends: (2)
Default PZ F4u corsair-lost contact...hard landing, broke aileron servo arm-need replacement

I was flying my corsair yesterday at the local park. During the last flight my contact popped out of my eye and landed on my cheek!

I was trying to be still and quickly get the plane on the ground which ended up with the plane taking a hard landing (I belly land the corsair). My contact promptly fell off my cheek, bounced off my arm and landed in the grass. Luckily I was able to find the contact so that saved $160!!!! The corsair wasn't quite so lucky, the landing broke the servo arm off the aileron.

Easy fix! However when I got home I realized that this aileron servo has a larger diameter shaft and finer threads then all of the spare servo arms I had. Obviously there are different servo output shafts, but all the servos I have are small like the PZ servo. The question is how to I locate the correct servo arm? Are there names for each type of servo output shaft?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

I think is what you need:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1132

you can get it from HH direct or if you can take the servo ( with or without aircraft) to a LHS you can probably look through their parts and hopefully find the size you need. They vary by size and tooth configuration depending on the size of the servo and manufacturer, so I would have to just visually pick what looks close through the package and check it. At least they are not expensive.
I gave up wearing contacts before I started flying, but now I have those nice, warm, humid mornings where you turn away from the sun and have both lenses on my glasses fog up; can't see the airplane with or wiith out
Old 03-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

View guapoman2000's Gallery56
Friends: (11)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by tehlump View Post
I was flying my corsair yesterday at the local park. During the last flight my contact popped out of my eye and landed on my cheek!

I was trying to be still and quickly get the plane on the ground which ended up with the plane taking a hard landing (I belly land the corsair). My contact promptly fell off my cheek, bounced off my arm and landed in the grass. Luckily I was able to find the contact so that saved $160!!!! The corsair wasn't quite so lucky, the landing broke the servo arm off the aileron.

Easy fix! However when I got home I realized that this aileron servo has a larger diameter shaft and finer threads then all of the spare servo arms I had. Obviously there are different servo output shafts, but all the servos I have are small like the PZ servo. The question is how to I locate the correct servo arm? Are there names for each type of servo output shaft?
If you Slammed Down hard on the belly of that model and did not come down nicely (greased landing) then, I highly recommend to get yourself a NEW Servo for the Aileron such as the PKZ1081 and you can see it is a long lead servo ANALOG!

These servos have nylon gears and no telling if they have some cracks on the teeth train and you don't want to find out in the air once you get that model air worthy again!

I would not trust that servo, matter of fact I would check the other one as well.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1081
Old 03-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

+1 what gaupoman said! I had a landing gear tear out at landing (I think it was previously loosened, as it was a nice landing, gear fell out during roll-out) and the little bump and dragging was enough to ruin the servo.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
tehlump

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
If you Slammed Down hard on the belly of that model and did not come down nicely (greased landing) then, I highly recommend to get yourself a NEW Servo for the Aileron such as the PKZ1081 and you can see it is a long lead servo ANALOG!

These servos have nylon gears and no telling if they have some cracks on the teeth train and you don't want to find out in the air once you get that model air worthy again!

I would not trust that servo, matter of fact I would check the other one as well.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1081
It actually wasn't that bad of a landing...I was proud of myself for not immediately nose diving in! I think the aileron link was caught on something...that doesn't bode well for the health of my servo though! You make a good suggestion, I'll probably just pick up a couple new servos rather than chance it!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
JZSlenker

Send a message via AIM to JZSlenker
Friends: (1)

I did the same thing last week (less the contacts). I went to put a new arm on and found it larger than my replacement parts. Luckily my LHS had the correct arms
Old 03-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
tehlump

Originally Posted by dumo01 View Post
...I gave up wearing contacts before I started flying, but now I have those nice, warm, humid mornings where you turn away from the sun and have both lenses on my glasses fog up; can't see the airplane with or wiith out
I have a very strong prescription, it required me to wear very small glasses to keep them from being 2 inches thick on the edges! The problem was that due to the amount of correction needed I ended up seeing everything very much smaller than what they really were. Contacts help me see everything at the correct size, I noticed that now I can more easily see the plane's orientation, I had a lot of trouble with that when I was wearing glasses. Maybe I just need to come up with an automatic eye irrigation system!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #8
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

View guapoman2000's Gallery56
Friends: (11)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tehlump View Post
I have a very strong prescription, it required me to wear very small glasses to keep them from being 2 inches thick on the edges! The problem was that due to the amount of correction needed I ended up seeing everything very much smaller than what they really were. Contacts help me see everything at the correct size, I noticed that now I can more easily see the plane's orientation, I had a lot of trouble with that when I was wearing glasses. Maybe I just need to come up with an automatic eye irrigation system!
Well, I want to say that I have lots of respect to someone like in your condition (Eye Sight) to come clean and realize how important it is to "SEE" your models while they are flying!

I have had someone that my close buddy took under his wing and this fellow just continued crashing and one day he finally said to us that he needed to get new glasses!

My buddy and I gave him the riot act and said that yes he needed to get glasses ASAP because we were flying out of a private location assuming that we all took great care in checking our models the night before (which this guy who needed glasses did not) and that we all needed to check Eye Sight every year to make sure all is okay with being able to control the models we bring out to fly at this location.

Just last week, I had the painful news to this guy that we were not going to meet up with him any longer as a result of him not listening to us and at least getting the needed corrective lenses that he needed. Also, every time we meet up he always had an issue with a model with this or that and it got pretty old and not to mention the crashes and fly away incidents!

I am glad you are taking action on your own for your corrective lenses.

Carlos
Old 03-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Carlos, the old "you can lead a horse to water......"
Some folks just don't want to listen.

Eye sight is one of those things that go bad on you so slowly you don't really notice it.
I know for me it was having trouble with orientation when I had a fast mover way out there. Then I started to notice when driving signs at a certain distance weren't real sharp looking.

One trip to the eye doc took care of that. Man it was like going from night to day.

Just have to admit we are all getting older, and stuff just doesn't work like it used to.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
tehlump

I've always had bad eyes, I started wearing glasses when I was about 5 or so. During HS I started wearing contacts in order to play football, I couldn't fit glasses under my helmet and I am completely blind without them! In those days I wore soft contacts, very comfortable but they had a hard time staying oriented on my eye correctly, toric lenses correct astigmatism by staying oriented using small weights on the bottom of the lens.

I got away from contacts for a while due to money issues, I've been wearing glasses exclusively for about 5 years now. I've been wanting to return to contacts and just recently decided to take the plunge. Unfortunately my eyes have worsened over the years, they're now so bad that soft contacts aren't made for such a strong prescription (-13 diopters of near sightedness correction + astigmatism correction) so i had to go to rigid gas permeable contacts...hard contacts! They've been difficult to adjust to, they're much smaller than soft contacts and initially you feel like you always have eyelashes in your eyes! Initially my opthomologist said I had to get custom contact lenses...I went for that appt and after paying $150 for the consultation I was told that my new lenses would be $900!!! wow. I found another place that was able to fit me in standard hard lenses but even then it was $320 just for the contacts...plust another $100 consultation.

I've had them for a couple of weeks now and I am adjusting to them, there are positives...they seem to stay oriented correctly much more so than the soft lenses ever did. The other great thing I'm happy with is how BIG everything seems now! I'd been so used to glasses that I'd forgotten how poorly I see in them!

I've had no problems with them popping out until the other day while flying, I'm sure it was just because I had let them get too dry in the wind...I'm putting a bottle of eyedrops in my field box for flying!
Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #11
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

I was curious how your contacts were so expensive ... now I know! I have bifocal contacts and use a fairly expensive company and mine are "only" $10 per eye. Found out that contacts are like jeans, one companies fits better and therefore more comfortable.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
tehlump

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
I was curious how your contacts were so expensive ... now I know! I have bifocal contacts and use a fairly expensive company and mine are "only" $10 per eye. Found out that contacts are like jeans, one companies fits better and therefore more comfortable.
Man oh man would I LOOOOVE to be able to wear cheaper contacts! It's genuinely a 'heart-stopping' moment to lose these expensive ones. I went to the flying field to watch yesterday and had one slide off my cornea and over to the corner of my eye, I couldn't tell initially if the contact was still in my eye or not, I just knew I couldn't see any more. I went to the bathroom to take advantage of the mirror and ultimately found it hiding in the corner of my eye, it took some coaxing to get it back into its place!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Club: Gooney Birds Flo, SC
Friends: (13)
Wink years

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Carlos, the old "you can lead a horse to water......"
Some folks just don't want to listen.

Eye sight is one of those things that go bad on you so slowly you don't really notice it.
I know for me it was having trouble with orientation when I had a fast mover way out there. Then I started to notice when driving signs at a certain distance weren't real sharp looking.

One trip to the eye doc took care of that. Man it was like going from night to day.

Just have to admit we are all getting older, and stuff just doesn't work like it used to.
I've been 39 for years, don't know what your talking about "getting older"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics