Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
tehlump

Friends: (2)
Default I need strong dbl sided tape to mount servos...

I'm building a mountain models L4 grasshopper. The directions call for mounting the rudder and elevator servos inside the fuselage, taped directly to the side of the fuselage.

The problem is that I bought a pack of dbl sided tape from the LHS thinking it would be the best for the job...it's not. The servos pull free from the side of the fuselage after only a few surface movements. Obviously i don't want to try and fly it like this...Does anyone have any suggestions for a super strong dbl sided tape?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
spad

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by tehlump View Post
I'm building a mountain models L4 grasshopper. The directions call for mounting the rudder and elevator servos inside the fuselage, taped directly to the side of the fuselage.

The problem is that I bought a pack of dbl sided tape from the LHS thinking it would be the best for the job...it's not. The servos pull free from the side of the fuselage after only a few surface movements. Obviously i don't want to try and fly it like this...Does anyone have any suggestions for a super strong dbl sided tape?
I have this model, and love it! I used hot glue to mount the servos and after 6 months they are still firmly in place, and the servos undamaged. However, if you wish to send me a self-addressed, stamped envelope, I can send you a piece of very strong Graupner double-sided tape that came from a kit, and which I've never used.

I vote for hot glue.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
tehlump

dangit, sometimes the simplest answers are the ones my brain completely overlooks...I think you're right, hot glue is the answer here!

BTW-I haven't flown it yet but I have thoroughly enjoyed the build as well. Mine looks pretty rough as this is my first build ever, the covering job is pretty dodgy and I'm terrible at controlling glue flow so I have inadvertently dribbled glue all over the covering I'm just going to pretend it's battle damage and be happy with that! I'm very close to maiden...right now I'm trying to decide if I should wait until I get my graphics from Callie, she is taking the pat tritle graphics on her website and adding the noseart from the full scale grasshopper named 'mistress'. I can't wait!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
spad

My God, that will be beautiful!

I got my graphics from Callie, and they were about 15% too big: you might want to make darn sure she has scaled them since I got mine about 6 months ago.

I say wait for the graphics, then maiden!

You will absolutely love this plane-mine is way overpowered with an Eflite Park 400 of all things!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
tehlump

Originally Posted by spad View Post
My God, that will be beautiful!

I got my graphics from Callie, and they were about 15% too big: you might want to make darn sure she has scaled them since I got mine about 6 months ago.

I say wait for the graphics, then maiden!

You will absolutely love this plane-mine is way overpowered with an Eflite Park 400 of all things!
We've emailed back and forth a few times and she said she had specifically worked with the MM L4 so maybe she's made adjustments...I picked that one precisely because the noseart looked so cool on what essentially is a Cub! To keep costs down I told her I'd be happy with the graphics she had pre-packaged on the Pat Tritle L4 with the addition of the 'mistress' noseart. She is also changing the letters to my initials on one side and my son's on the other...he's gonna love that! He's 6 and can't wait for it to get in the air! I was almost afraid to ask about adding the custom work, figuring it would add a huge amount of money to the pre-packaged stuff...nope! She's doing it all for $26!!!!!! what a smoking deal!

Mine will be waaaay over powered as well, I had a brushless setup in my slow stick that has been re-purposed for the L4...it's a package kit from radicalrc, a GWS 002 brushless outrunner and a castle thunderbird 18 ESC. I figure I'll just putt around at 1/2 throttle and everything will look good
Old 03-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

Another idea I have heard works well but have tried myself ( at least that I know of) is to put some thin CA on the wood surface you are going to use the double stick tape on before you mount the servo and allow it to dry, then use the double stick with your servo. The tape adhesive is supposed to be more effective on the glued surface than on the raw wood.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
tehlump

Originally Posted by dumo01 View Post
Another idea I have heard works well but have tried myself ( at least that I know of) is to put some thin CA on the wood surface you are going to use the double stick tape on before you mount the servo and allow it to dry, then use the double stick with your servo. The tape adhesive is supposed to be more effective on the glued surface than on the raw wood.
that might be a good idea even when using hot glue. I noticed that the dbl sided tape pulled off and when I looked you could see fine bits of wood attached to the tape even though I wiped the area down prior to sticking it on...sounds like 'hardening' up the surface with CA might help tremendously.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
spad

CA is a great idea!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

View Lieutenant Loughead's Gallery35
Club: Flown 517 days in a row!
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (24)

Strong double sided tape = "3M Very High Bond" or "VHB" tape.

That's what you REALLY want. I've used it on my Blade CX2, to hold the LiPo under the helicopter -- and after 200+ flights, it never let go!

Owner of the UNCLUB flying site and hobby shop in Arcadia, OK.

AMA #930992
Old 03-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

View Saddlebum's Gallery5

Originally Posted by tehlump View Post

Go to your local Automotive Parts retailer and ask for 3M Body Trim Mounting Tape.

This is the tape used to mount plastic pieces to car bodies. It's VERY strong, has only a bit of "give" and can be de-mounted if required.

...The Bum
Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
gramps2161
Community Moderator

View gramps2161's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

One other thing to do is wrap a layer of blue tape around the servo. Mix up some epoxy applie the epoxy to the fuse where the servo is going to mount and then place the servo into the epoxy. I take the epoxy and go around the blue tape with a thin coat of the epoxy to lock it in all the way around.
If and when you need to remove the servo just heat up a blade to soften the epoxy and peel off the blue tape, and out comes a clean servo the epoxy stays with the blue tape.

If this is going inside the fuse and there is no good way to get at after covering I want to know that servo is not coming loose.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft