Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (10)
Default Is the F27C Stryker a good 3rd-4th plane?

Ok, I only have about 5 flights on my ParkZone T-28D, but I'm already daydreaming about my next plane. (Addicted? Me?) I think I want something ungodly fast. Question is, would the F27C Stryker make a good plane once I've mastered the T28D? Or is it too insanely fast even with the stock setup?

AMA #959089
Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
I think you would do fine with the level of experiance you have
The Strykers fly like they are on rails and can slow down quite well when need be
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 03-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Surprisingly the Stryker is not that hard of a plane to fly. My son started out with a GWS Pico Cub, then went to an E-Starter, then the C model Stryker he flew, well still flies, it and took to it right away.

The cool thing is yeah, it can be really fast, but it flies equally well at slower speeds so you can cut the throttle back at firs, get used to it, then let'r rip!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

I think once going the Stryker may be able to fly slightly slower than the T-28. The main issues are:
Launching-the Stryker uses a small prop for speed with little thrust so it takes a bit to bite and get on the prop. Learning to launch that type of plane is a new skill. Be CAREFUL of that prop! Follow through-always!
Orientation-cool color scheme on the ground, sucks in the air. Delta shaped planes are harder to orient to and the problem increases with speed.
AND--
The need for more speed. They are fast but certainly not ungodly fast. They are only a bit faster than a T-28 in stock form. Speed costs. A lot of Strykers are soon upgraded for more power.
So....They are pretty easy to build and the parts are cheap. May as well start that way. LOTS and LOTS of Stryker 'hop-up' threads. Do a few searches.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

1kW 

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the color scheme. I think I'd paint the bottom neon orange and the top neon green or something like that. Otherwise, I'm pretty certain I'd lose orientation and lawndart it...

And the hop-ups... That's part of the fun, isn't it? :-)

AMA #959089
Old 03-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

View Grasshopper's Gallery48
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (52)

The Multiplex Fun Jet is another good one if you don't mind doing a little assembly. Here's one I painted for better orientation. Even though we clocked it at 105 mph, it also flys slow really well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04027.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	144468

Name:	DSC04030.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	144469

Tom
Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

1kW 

I keep hearing that the F27C is easier than the Funjet to fly, since it handles better at low speeds. Correct or not?

AMA #959089
Old 03-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I keep hearing that the F27C is easier than the Funjet to fly, since it handles better at low speeds. Correct or not?
Hi
Untrue they can fly very slow and quite nicely at that speed
Do enjoy
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 03-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

View Grasshopper's Gallery48
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (52)

I haven't flown a Stryker so I can't say for sure. My Fun Jet would slow to almost a crawl. One advantage the Stryker has is replacement parts availability.

Tom
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

If you are confident of your skills the FJ is a somewhat faster platform with the same power system. Slow speed is probably more similar than different as long as the WEIGHT is similar. I put my Stryker power system into a FJ so am sure of this. They do fly differently and some of that is a matter of taste.

The Stryker PARTS are easier to come by and cheaper. This can be a benefit when learning. IMO the FJ is just a better plane.

To start with the probability of high speed dorking is pretty high so cheap parts can be attractive until you get over that phase. I think I had a bit more experience than you do when I went to the Stryker and still hammered it in a half dozen times, pretty badly ripping the motor mount out, crushing the nose, stripping servos and the like. I've only had one crash with the FJ in 2 years of flying it AFTER I learned how to handle that kind of plane and speed. A common strategy is Stryker to learn, FJ to progress.

Yes, upgrades are fun but trying to break the 100mph barrier (common) can get expensive (4S, 5S, 6S lipos, 60A+ ESC, motors that will handle the power without frying, etc). It's also harder on the Stryker due to the drag.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
If you are confident of your skills the FJ is a somewhat faster platform with the same power system. Slow speed is probably more similar than different as long as the WEIGHT is the similar. I put my Stryker power system into a FJ so am sure of this. They do fly differently and some of that is a matter of taste.

The Stryker PARTS are easier to come by and cheaper. This can be a benefit when learning. IMO the FJ is just a better plane.

To start with the probability of high speed dorking is pretty high so cheap parts can be attractive until you get over that phase. I think I had a bit more experience than you do when I went to the Stryker and still hammered it in a half dozen times, pretty badly ripping the motor mount out, crushing the nose, stripping servos and the like. I've only had one crash with the FJ in 2 years of flying it AFTER I learned how to handle that kind of plane and speed. A common strategy is Stryker to learn, FJ to progress.

Yes, upgrades are fun but trying to break the 100mph barrier (common) can get expensive (4S, 5S, 6S lipos, 60A+ ESC, motors that will handle the power without frying, etc). It's also harder on the Stryker due to the drag.
Hi
I agree
The FJ has excellent flight characteristics
Do enjoy
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
TylerJCooper

Club: Attempted to start an Omaha Park Club (Aeronuts)
Friends: (8)

I have flow both the Stryker and FunJet. I ended up purchasing the FunJet. Cost more in the long run because you have to get your own power system and there isn't much for replacement parts. However, I wouldn't change anything. The FJ is just a good plane. I am pretty sure I am breaking the 100 mph limit and need to get a paint job on it. The thing is out of my sight in no time. I would recommend the FunJet if you want something that you can continue to invest into for more speed. I will no longer need to look for my speed plane because the FunJet gives me more then I need with room to grow.

Looking forward to seeing which way you go. Either way you are going to have fun.

Sir Isaac Newton had an apple, I have a plane.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #13
skyman

Friends: (0)

Ok, I only have about 5 flights on my ParkZone T-28D, but I'm already daydreaming about my next plane. (Addicted? Me?) I think I want something ungodly fast. Question is, would the F27C Stryker make a good plane once I've mastered the T28D? Or is it too insanely fast even with the stock setup?
If you are feeling brave, go Habu! It would probably be best though if you bought a cheap HK, BH, or NP plane first though to get you more practice before you jump into edf. This looks like a good one.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a220-800bf109-arf.html

"I didn't crash... I just did an inverted nose landing!"
Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Go ahead, buy the Stryker, and I shall lead you into the "Dark Side" of the Stryker my son. Muh ha ha Haha aha ha a ha haah a Cough Cough.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #15
RCFlyer44

View RCFlyer44's Gallery2
Club: RC Wingers, Mooresville, NC
Send a message via Yahoo to RCFlyer44
Friends: (8)

The Stryker was my second plane after I got comfortable on the T-28 as well. It was a little squirrelly at first, but just took some getting used to. Set up dual rates and some expo and I think you will be fine. Flies great and better yet there are tons of replacement parts. I had a major hatch blow out in a high speed shallow dive last fall and in no time had all three hatch covers, new motor and prop and back in the air. It looks a little rough around the edges but flies great. Just this past weekend I added 156 LED lights to make it a night flier and still have some more to go for the inside of the vertical stabilizers but ran out of lights, waiting on HK now.

I would still like to get the funjet to try out too, no one at our club has it, but almost everyone has at least one Stryker! Our LHS sales it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Strykerlights.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	144545
Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)
Cool Fun Plane

This thread is about a year old, however I have been flying now for only 15 months, I currently own 2 Cubs, 2 EDFs, a Corsair, swift 2 and a Wild Hawk in my Hanger and I just recently added a Stryker F27C to my inventory. I know they don't make it anymore and why buy a C when you can have a Q right? Here is the thing I went to a warehouse, of sorts, in Greeley Colorado a place called "Things with Wings" and I stumbled across this F27C and he only wanted 125 bucks for the BnF version. Whom am I to turn down a deal like that. Slammed down some cash and went flying. This is a fun plane. Flies great out of the box. Just a bit if trim and she took off out of my hand with 3/4 throttle and in not time I was booking down at 75 plus MPH. Sure I cant do the whole upside down spinning thingy that you can do with the Q but if you think you are ready for a Delta type wing but are unsure if you can handle the whole rudder thing get one of these. Heres the catch you gotta find one first and I don't know how easy that can be. But I think this would make a great 3rd plane. Just my .02 cents and would love to here from more folks who own a F27C and your experience with it

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Fish,
And here I thought " The Need for Speed" was reserved for Naval Aviators !-LOL
If anybody was ready for a Stryker it's got to be you ! My Radjet is the closest thing that comes remotely close to that type of speed.

I've seen both Strykers versions fly at our field and they are screamers to say the least. Scary fast.

The addiction continues. Maiden of the Durafly DH-88 Comet this weekend and just got sucked-in to the Funfighter/Skyangel vortex with an AT-6 Texan. Hey, $50.00 from BH. Could not keep my finger clicking on the "Place Order" tab. The Rare Bear will be soon to follow I'm sure. These little prop jobs will go ~ 100 mph on 4S. 650-720mm WS. Arrives 95% complete. One hour later? Flying ! Trying to restrain myself to one per month but's it's so easy to fall in love as you well know.

Sometimes feel like the teenager in the experimental stage. Large planes, edf's, scratchbuilt foamies, everything except gassers. Maybe even try 3D someday.

Look forward to your flight report and vid !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 07-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Fish,
And here I thought " The Need for Speed" was reserved for Naval Aviators !-LOL
If anybody was ready for a Stryker it's got to be you ! My Radjet is the closest thing that comes remotely close to that type of speed.

I've seen both Strykers versions fly at our field and they are screamers to say the least. Scary fast.

The addiction continues. Maiden of the Durafly DH-88 Comet this weekend and just got sucked-in to the Funfighter/Skyangel vortex with an AT-6 Texan. Hey, $50.00 from BH. Could not keep my finger clicking on the "Place Order" tab. The Rare Bear will be soon to follow I'm sure. These little prop jobs will go ~ 100 mph on 4S. 650-720mm WS. Arrives 95% complete. One hour later? Flying ! Trying to restrain myself to one per month but's it's so easy to fall in love as you well know.

Sometimes feel like the teenager in the experimental stage. Large planes, edf's, scratchbuilt foamies, everything except gassers. Maybe even try 3D someday.

Look forward to your flight report and vid !

-Hawk
Thanks Hawk. Yea it seems my addiction knows no bounds Good luck with those other planes. Im sure you wil be flying them at speeds unimaginable. I like the F27C because it is far lighter than the Q. Both are screamers I think stock the q is faster but the C has plenty of speed. I think she will give hours of exctement. I am glad I owned a Swift and my Bronco Dart before owning one because Deltas can seem real twitchy at first and I needed to get used to them before screaming down the field.

This hobby also brings out the kid in me. When I first started attempting speed runs my buddy noticed I would not breathe. So I had to say something or I would be holding my breath until blue in the face. I think my last random quote was from Star Trek "Captain the engines were not ment to go at these speeds, we could fly her apart." "Then fly her apart then!"

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #19
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

In case you needed a reason.
Like a Classic Ford Mustang or Chevy Camaro they have made modern versions of them but you cant beat an original classic such as the F27C.
Enjoy

Oh yea the wind was blowing 10-15mph. WHAT WIND IN WYOMING??? Cant be

Old 09-10-2012, 04:04 AM   #20
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Oh yeah, the Stryker C is a classic alright. A couple of the guys at our field have super modded-out versions. Yikes ! Hard to follow. Awesome speed.

Just bought the new Skyangels 50mm Katana: http://www.hobbyb.com/2012-new-skyan...html?cPath=121

$54.00 + $22.00 shipping. Could not resist.

Looks like a Stinger/Meteor. This one also has a rudder. Should be fun but won't have the speed of a Stryker by any stretch. Had the little Rare Bear going 100 the other day. Knees are still shaking. More cheap thrills.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #21
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Oh yeah, the Stryker C is a classic alright. A couple of the guys at our field have super modded-out versions. Yikes ! Hard to follow. Awesome speed.

Just bought the new Skyangels 50mm Katana: http://www.hobbyb.com/2012-new-skyan...html?cPath=121

$54.00 + $22.00 shipping. Could not resist.

Looks like a Stinger/Meteor. This one also has a rudder. Should be fun but won't have the speed of a Stryker by any stretch. Had the little Rare Bear going 100 the other day. Knees are still shaking. More cheap thrills.
That skyamgel does look cool Hawk it seems you adiction knows no bounds LOL

Old 09-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Just remember an EDF is a whole nother way of flying.
Spool up can be a bummer. You will not have the "turn and burn" capability of a Stryker, or for that matter a lot of prop jobs.

Just the way they are. You need to think way ahead when flying them. Unlike a prop, it takes a second or two for an EDF to power/spool up. Not something you want to find out when you are low and slow.

Ask my bud Ken, he flew my F20, ungodly fast bird. Until he had to land. Low and slow over the runway, as it tended to float in when it hit ground effect. Gobbled up 900' of runway, still had another 400' to go and decided to go around. Full power all the way into the ground. Pancaked it in and it looked like a bottle rocket bouncing off the ground.

Anyhow, word of advice on any new bird you get. Read every thread/post you can find on it first. Then you'll know the quirks and fixes beforehand.
Save you a lot of grief.

If you like the Katana, watch NitroPlanes for the Concept X when they put it on sale. I picked up the ARF version for something like 40 bucks.
Made the fixes, and put stupid power in it. It is right up there with the "Black" Strykers for pure stupid speed, yet has lost all it's preexisting faults to become a blast to fly.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/69a01-red-arf.html

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pm35147.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	162522 "Goblin" HET F-20

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners