Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-06-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
Zapper2003

Send a message via AIM to Zapper2003 Send a message via Yahoo to Zapper2003
Friends: (0)
Default Torn or Confused: You decide!

Hello all. Self-admitted new guy here. A few months ago I picked up an RTF Flyzone Playmate micro 3ch airplane on a whim. Never having flown before, I just winged it (literally) and gave it a toss and buzzed around, and im hooked. I've been having a blast with it, no major crashes or parts broken yet, but I've become a bit 'bored' with it. I've also, within the last week, picked up the Phoenix sim with the Spektrum DX5e radio, and have been enjoying that a ton as well. Having no actual hands-on experience with a 4 channel plane, but doing well with the sim, I feel confident enough to step up to the plate and upgrade myself and my skills to a bigger, more capable plane.

At this point, I'm torn between two planes in particular: The Eflite Mini Pulse XT PnP, and the Parkzone T28 Trojan BnF.

I really like the looks of the MPXT, and all of the reviews on this plane say its an excellent piece and would be a great second plane. Being built of balsa and ply, my only concern is durability,and moreso repairability. The foam plane I'm used to is amazingly forgiving in a crash (granted it only weighs 1oz.!) and can easily be repaired and put back up really fast.

The Trojan appeals to me because of its BnF price (I won't have to buy a battery or receiver), and being foam, I know I'll be able to easily repair it in the event of a severe crash, and the cost of replacement parts isn't nearly as high as the Eflite plane.

That being said, at this point, I am unsure of exactly which route I should go. I have flown the Trojan in the sim, and its a fun plane to fly (MPXT is not in the sim), and it seems like a good deal, but aesthetically, to me, is less appealing.

With the MPXT being considered a good 2nd plane, can I ask the question of whether or not the Playmate can be considered a first plane? I would really like to step up to 4 channels, but if staying at 3 is recommended, I really like the looks (and price) of the Select Scale Super Cub.

Thanks in advance everyone. I've learned a lot by reading these forums.

- Zack
Old 03-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery5
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (39)

The Trojans are great flyinf planes and a lot of fun. Why not do that one as number two and the MPXT number three?

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 03-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Zack!

Welcome to Wattflyer! It's a great bunch of people.

Speaking to to you not as an expert, but just as a guy who just went through the transition you're talking about. I just maidened my T-28 and for me it's really working great (so far) as a "second plane". The cool thing is that it's pretty aggressive at full throttle but EXTREMLY docile at about 2/3 throttle. If you have 3-channel experience and spend a few hours in the sim getting used to four channels, you'll have no problem flying the T-28 if you keep it slow and steady. My favorite thing about it so far is the way it lands. It floats in perfectly at about 1/4 throttle and I had no problem sticking the landings on rough wet grass. My Super Cub would have flipped forward no matter what I did... Nose wheels rock!

Anyway... I'm still a noob at this and other people may have smarter things to say. But the T-28 works great as a second plane for me at least. I think I'll be pretty busy this summer mastering aerobatics at full throttle. And once I've had enough of that, there are endless upgrade possibilities with stronger motor, flaps, retracts and lots of other fun stuff.

AMA #959089
Old 03-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
idealhobbies
Super Contributor

Club: C.D.P.A.
Friends: (2)

T28 hands down. The Mini Pulse is can be quite a handful at times. I would not recommend it as a second plane. The T28 on the other hand, is the perfect second plane. NJSwede described it perfectly.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Yep the T28 is hands down the better choice. Much more forgiving, and an easy to fix if you boink it.

The Pulse as a balsa bird, is a more advanced flyer. And unless you have building skills, not something you want to make a second step bird. One boo boo that would take 5 minutes to fix on the Trojan, will be a several hour repair on the Pulse.

Though you will learn to repair balsa structures and do covering.

Go with the Trojan, like said it's a 2 flyer, nice and slow with easy take offs and landings because of the trike gear, or wind it up and it will do most aerobatics right out of the box.

Biggest thing to remember with a 4 channel. For the most part they go where you point them. They will not self correct like a 3 channel does. Most 3 channels have lots of dihedral in the wing so that they want to fly straight and level. 4 channel birds don't.
You put a 3 channel in a banking turn and let go of the sticks, it will level out and fly away nice and straight. 4 channel in the same situation, will continue on in the same attitude till it hits the ground.

Lotta good info on the Trojan threads, read up.

And lastly, WELCOME TO WATTFLYER, and the addiction.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
Zapper2003

Thanks everyone. I will start doing some more research on the Trojan. Would there be any other recommended 4channel birds to look into?

From what I've researched and seen in videos, the MPXT is a very quick plane, and from the videos/reviews I've read, it seemingly wont land because of how easy it glides at slow speed. That, to me, seems like a double edged sword. Coming in for a landing, I'd be temped to 'throw' it on the ground in order to get the wheels down so I can cut power, rather than just glide it down (which is what I do in the sim with the Trojan.) Also, perhaps its an inaccuracy in the sim, the trojan will (kind of) self-right over time. If I bank it one direction a little, and let it continue to fly, it does somewhat try to return to level flight over quite a distance, as where (for instance) the super cub LP will almost instantly go level and continue flying straight.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
Also, perhaps its an inaccuracy in the sim, the trojan will (kind of) self-right over time. If I bank it one direction a little, and let it continue to fly, it does somewhat try to return to level flight over quite a distance, as where (for instance) the super cub LP will almost instantly go level and continue flying straight.
I think the sim has it mostly right. The T-28 has a bit of dihedral, but the dihedral effect isn't as pronounced as the with the Super Cub, for example, since the high wings add to the self-righting characteristics. A paraglider is an extreme example of high wing. It wants to get back to a state where the rider is right below the wing. So does a high-wing aircraft. It's like a pendulum.

Long-winded way of saying: Yes, it will self-right to some extent, but nowhere near what a high-wing plane would.

Dihedral on the T-28D:

AMA #959089
Old 03-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Made my first four channel flight Saturday morning with a UM T-28 which was set up with higher control throws for an experienced pilot, not an ideal situation. Flew it on my DX-5e radio set to low rates. I have flown a Vapor and Radian pretty extensively and various other three channel planes on occasion. I have no simulator time and did not use a buddy box.

Basically it was a non-issue. I kept in mind that all I wanted to do on the first flight was to fly controlled circuits at about 2/3 throttle until I could internalize the necessity to cancel a turn with opposite control movement. I worked on altitude control, some variation in throttle and flying the plane where I wanted. I tossed in a roll to show I wasn't a slave to the training program and brought her in for an unremarkable landing. Lands just like a Vapor, establish sink rate in level flight with throttle, wait for the possible ballooning from ground effect, adjust throttle as necessary for a nice touchdown. Watch aileron inputs when on final.

This is a perfect plane to learn 4-channel and I have no doubt that the full size (okay park flier size) is even better. I would suggest flying over grass, not pavement.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #9
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

I totally agree with swede get a high wing trainer....If you get into trouble you can almost let go of the sticks and it will fly to upright itself just from my short experience got my apprentice in nov10 very easy trainer to fly very durable foam motor mount is crap made my own, also it is big 58", ez to see, and i use a dx5e tx too just my 2 cents
Old 03-08-2011, 03:00 AM   #10
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

Did 2 long flights with 6 or 8 landings with my Apprentice (high wing) 15e today. Maiden and 1st solo on 4 ch! NO DAMAGE! Some landings were "walk away from" and a couple were greased on! Whole different animals with 4 ch!
Old 03-08-2011, 03:21 AM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

I second the motion on CrimzonRider's observation. The Apprentice is perhaps overlooked as a great transition between 3 and 4 channel. Yes, you CAN fly a Trojan. But if for any reason you have misgivings about an abrupt progression to a warbird, the Apprentice is a great bird which will remain fun long after you're an old hand with it.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

And it is faster than I thought it would be at WOT!! At rotation and WOT, it will climb fast and try to go vert while still very low.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #13
Zapper2003

Now I'm looking at the Flyzone Cessna 350 Corvalis and the Parkzone Stinson SR10 Reliant. I really like the looks of those two!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #14
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

I really like the stinson also i just dont think im quite ready for a tail dragger
I am in the shopping mode now my apprentice just became a 80mph lawndart right wing broke 200ft up and havent maiden my 182 yet almost got the 350 pretty dang sexy a/c!!!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 AM   #15
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
And it is faster than I thought it would be at WOT!! At rotation and WOT, it will climb fast and try to go vert while still very low.

She dont play around!!!!! lil gitty gitty and she's up I put a neodym 15 and 50esc and she almost went to space but this morn she also goes into the dirt fast
Old 03-09-2011, 02:39 AM   #16
Zapper2003

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
I really like the stinson also i just dont think im quite ready for a tail dragger
I am in the shopping mode now my apprentice just became a 80mph lawndart right wing broke 200ft up and havent maiden my 182 yet almost got the 350 pretty dang sexy a/c!!!!!

That sucks about the wreck.

Why do you think you aren't ready for a tail dragger?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #17
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Now I'm looking at the Flyzone Cessna 350 Corvalis and the Parkzone Stinson SR10 Reliant. I really like the looks of those two!
Hi
Pleased to meet you
2 great choices( i want them both as well)
The stinson will be more gentle in flight of the two so i would recomend that one first and then the corvalis for a third plane
take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 03-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #18
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

That sucks about the wreck.

Why do you think you aren't ready for a tail dragger?

Have you ever driven anything with rear steer? very sensitive left and right and I think after the tail comes up You need to give it just a bit of up elev... i think ...someone else chime in on the procedure of TO with a taildragger...I am just so happy with trikes right now or maybe my left hand isnt as smart as my right one is!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #19
Zapper2003

My flyzone playmate is a tail dragger and is a hoot to takeoff with.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #20
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

My flyzone playmate is a tail dragger and is a hoot to takeoff with.
I might be a little hesitant of taildraggers but a stinson just might put me over the edge. What size were you looking at? motor?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:10 AM   #21
Zapper2003

I'm looking at the Parkzone Stinson. It comes with a 480 outrunner, 50" wingspan with optional flaps. Looks like it has nice rugged landing gear as well.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #22
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

What about the PZ Switch? It looks like ez high wing taildragger to start and then you can switch it to low wing by adding canopy and changing wing. Simple
Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #23
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
What about the PZ Switch? It looks like ez high wing taildragger to start and then you can switch it to low wing by adding canopy and changing wing. Simple
Hi
That would be the Flyzone Switch, shes not a Parkzone product and they are a marvelous aircraft
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57632
take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 03-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #24
Zapper2003

The switch is a nice looking plane, and I like the wing-placement options, but the price is a little higher than I'd want, considering I just need a BnF plane.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #25
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Talking

The switch is a nice looking plane, and I like the wing-placement options, but the price is a little higher than I'd want, considering I just need a BnF plane.
Hi
Yes as they are being setup as a rtf package to cater more too the beginner who wants to learn on the high wing and then progress on to aerobatics with the low wing without another purchase of a 2nd plane
I on the other hand think they would make the perfect travel aircraft to keep in your car or truck for spur of the moment fun
It would be very nice if they offered a PNP version
Take care
Yours Hank

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners