Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Vintage and old timer models Discuss nostalgic vintage aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-11-2015, 05:29 AM   #1
Eddy

Friends: (1)
Default CA hinges ?

What is absolutely the most reliable CA hinge to use. Can they be trusted on planes up to 8 pounds ? Can you either describe them, or give me a Brand name ?

Thank you.

Eddy
Old 02-11-2015, 05:34 AM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (2)

We use CA hinges on some planes with 50cc gas engines. Properly installed they work just fine.

I tend to prefer the Great Planes precut CA hinges for heavy duty use.

The key is proper installation and that means a good SNUG slot and THIN CA. Thinner CA is better. More will wick in and soak the wood + hinge material.

Medium or thick CA WILL NOT SOAK IN and will cause hinge failure.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

CA hinges .... I nickname them "Lazy-Hinges" .......

I've had enough sheer off at the hinge line that I am not a happy user of them.
I prefer Mylar strip without the 'paper' addition that makes the CA hinge work.

My Extra 300 .... 58" span job ... I caught one elevator other day ... not a big knock ... but it sheered two of the 3 CA hinges fitted by previous owner ... replaced by Mylar.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 02-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
Al_M

Friends: (0)

I returned to sewn hinges.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #5
Yakfishingfool

I also had two rip out on the vert stab of a bird of time on landing. Caught the vert stab on the grass and the bottom two pulled out. They were installed by the previous owner as well but it was the plastic center that came out and only the fibrous material was left. Cleaned them out and went with dubro's feel better.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:32 AM   #6
Eddy

" I also had two rip out on the vert stab of a bird of time on landing. Caught the vert stab on the grass and the bottom two pulled out. "

If you land badly, and rip them out in tall grass, or even hit a tree; how can you blame the hinges for being of poor quality ? ? ? I don't plan on doing that.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (2)

Any time a CA hinge comes out without taking chunks of wood with it... it wasn't glued in right.

Typically this is a symptom of using med or thick CA which only bonds the hinges to the outer surface of the wood instead of being well soaked and bonding over the entire contact area between hinge and wood (both sides)
Old 02-15-2015, 07:36 AM   #8
hillbille
Super Contributor

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I still use CA hinges - I just don't use the CA anymore. I make the slit(s) and test fit the hinges. Then I soak them( the hinges) in water to wet them and after dropping a few drops of Gorilla glue on a paper - I dab the hinge ends in the GG. Only the slightest amount is needed and it needs to be wiped/spread as thinly as is possible and only along the very ends of the hinge. Then just slide it into the slit. They can be pinned to hold temporarily while the glue sets (about 1 hour - usually) and then the method is repeated for the other side, making the hinge joint as close as it needs to be.

Sometimes the glue does/will foam out of the slit - but it can be picked away with a safety pin easily enough and the hing never becomes "brittle" from the application of the glue.

If done properly - the "wet" GG will foam and adhere to any and all surfaces and will be extremely hard to "rip out".

BTW - mylar isn't too good for the GG - Tyvek is much better and easily as strong. The "pinned" hinges work well too as the glue makes a good bond through the "holes" of the hinges!

Of course - it really isn't "instant" as it takes the wetted glue an hour or so to "set" but the result is fabulous, clean and very sturdy.

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978 KK6NKY
Old 02-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
" I also had two rip out on the vert stab of a bird of time on landing. Caught the vert stab on the grass and the bottom two pulled out. "

If you land badly, and rip them out in tall grass, or even hit a tree; how can you blame the hinges for being of poor quality ? ? ? I don't plan on doing that.
If you refer back to the post - he does say that the hinge material separated from the 'paper' - which I have had happen as well.

The stress in a tail with no undercarraige as a glider - usually is high and that rudder is often first to let go. Hinges have to be good ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 02-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #10
Al_M

Mine never ripped out but they broke at the hinge line and it was in a glider.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #11
Paul Paolozzi

Thanks for the info
Old 05-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #12
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

I also prefer the Great Planes hinges. When a kit supplies their own, I still buy the Great Planes.

One tip is to get PLENTY of CA into the hinge, both sides, then use your finger tips to compress all four points for half a minute. Make sure that balsa has no gap. Sure I need to twist my fingers to break them lose most of the time and later use a small amount of debonder on the covering, but if that hinge aint clamped/compressed when that CA boils, you got nothing.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 05-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #13
Paul Paolozzi

TWO PROBLEMS with EMax servos... I have found the all metal gears ES08MD11 servo arms Only a few of the plastic arms fit on the metal outside gear...
Out of 4 servos that come with a small bag of 4 each arms only 2 fit on the sprocket...

Also when drilling holes to attach the servo to the plane the drill tears up the wires that are next to the end of the servo. Give me some ideas how to solve these problems. Do I have to use an old servo to drill the holes, then bolt the new servo on the plane ?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #14
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Originally Posted by Paul Paolozzi View Post
TWO PROBLEMS with EMax servos... I have found the all metal gears ES08MD11 servo arms Only a few of the plastic arms fit on the metal outside gear...
Out of 4 servos that come with a small bag of 4 each arms only 2 fit on the sprocket...

Also when drilling holes to attach the servo to the plane the drill tears up the wires that are next to the end of the servo. Give me some ideas how to solve these problems. Do I have to use an old servo to drill the holes, then bolt the new servo on the plane ?
Paul I think you are confused on where you are posting?

I just wanted to throw something out there on hinges, I have been using Tyvek for hinge material for quite a few yesrs now. I haven't tried it on anything huge but they have held up very well on my 40-sized planes.

If anyone isn't familiar with Tyvek it is a construction material used for houses, but most of my material I cut from white mailing envelopes since they are made of the material. It has fiberglass strands impregnated throughout and it can not be ripped easily in any direction.

Just something I have found that works well for me. Obviously as mentioned proper installation is a must.

Interests: R/C Fixed-wing aircraft, or most anything that is modeled after something that is real and actually exists.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

One note of caution and I repeat :

CA Hinges have one unenviable trait : They harden with age. Especially when soaked with CA. The CA causes the 'paper' part to harden, the surfaces moving while flying ... over time that hardness causes fractures. So please check your hinges regularly - I know you do - but add the 'twist' test to make sure they are not failing.

This is what happens when they fail due to age and hardness :

Elevator hinges went one side and part failed other ...

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models