Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)
Default Once again Horizon Hobby Service is Stellar!

Once again Horizon Hobby's stellar support and customer service are just incredible. I sent my Son's 9303 transmitter in for repair as we were having intermittent issues with it. I got him a bind and fly Radian for Christmas and had three lockouts on the maiden flight with it, the last one resulting in a crash. We sent the plane in for repair and they sent us a new one even though they said no problem was found with it. (another awesome deal but not the point of this story) So I started to suspect the Transmitter as he had issues with other planes as well once we got to thinking about it.

So the radio was sent in to get checked out. I explained very clearly that I bought the radio used and did not know its history so it could very well have been dropped or worse but who knows. We checked it over very well when we got it and was comfortable that there were no problems with it... or so we thought.

They found the problem right away, repaired it and sent back to us in minimal time. A great explanation was included as to what the problem was and the defective part was returned so I could see what the issue was. Apparently the previous owner had disassembled the antenna cap and when he put it back together he crushed the antenna lead inside the outer plastic cone. The antenna was all scrunched and coiled up at the base! I guess he was flying like having a 72mhz antenna pushed all the way in. I'm truly surprised he didn't crash everything he owns! (I'll take a picture tonight to show what I mean about the antenna)

So anyway, the radio comes back today, the old antenna in the box for us to see what was wrong and it's all good to go. Now my Son can fly with confidence again knowing his radio is 100%!

but here is the real kicker... The note with the radio said the antenna was replaced as a courtesy... NO CHARGE! They did not even charge me return shipping.

Thank you so very much!

HORIZON HOBBY IS THE BEST!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

View groundrushesup's Gallery45
Club: Hill Country Wattheads
Send a message via AIM to groundrushesup
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Once again Horizon Hobby's stellar support and customer service are just incredible. I sent my Son's 9303 transmitter in for repair as we were having intermittent issues with it. I got him a bind and fly Radian for Christmas and had three lockouts on the maiden flight with it, the last one resulting in a crash. We sent the plane in for repair and they sent us a new one even though they said no problem was found with it. (another awesome deal but not the point of this story) So I started to suspect the Transmitter as he had issues with other planes as well once we got to thinking about it.

So the radio was sent in to get checked out. I explained very clearly that I bought the radio used and did not know its history so it could very well have been dropped or worse but who knows. We checked it over very well when we got it and was comfortable that there were no problems with it... or so we thought.

They found the problem right away, repaired it and sent back to us in minimal time. A great explanation was included as to what the problem was and the defective part was returned so I could see what the issue was. Apparently the previous owner had disassembled the antenna cap and when he put it back together he crushed the antenna lead inside the outer plastic cone. The antenna was all scrunched and coiled up at the base! I guess he was flying like having a 72mhz antenna pushed all the way in. I'm truly surprised he didn't crash everything he owns! (I'll take a picture tonight to show what I mean about the antenna)

So anyway, the radio comes back today, the old antenna in the box for us to see what was wrong and it's all good to go. Now my Son can fly with confidence again knowing his radio is 100%!

but here is the real kicker... The note with the radio said the antenna was replaced as a courtesy... NO CHARGE! They did not even charge me return shipping.

Thank you so very much!

Excellent as always.

Interesting that this turned out to be the issue - as the only time I ever had a lockout problem it was caused by the same thing - in my clumsiness I had squished the antenna when replacing the cap. There are posts about it on WF oh I guess a few years back now...

Now its the first thing I recommend checking when people have issues with Spektrum radios.

Glad it turned out well for you!

gru

Everybody's Somebody at The Hill Country Watthead's Thread!
Stop in and see what we're up to!

Visit Our Youtube Channel, too!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
spad

Friends: (0)

I agree that Horizon has excellent customer service, but I'm curios as to why anyone would remove the antenna "cap."

Ground, what were you doing, and why?

I have a JR X9303 and hope to learn something.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by spad View Post
I agree that Horizon has excellent customer service, but I'm curios as to why anyone would remove the antenna "cap."

I was curious too. Like I mentioned, I bought this radio used and now, after talking to some other folks that bought stuff from this guy in our club it seems that everything he touched he broke. He got into some serious trouble and is now in prison. His wife asked us as club officers to liquidate his RC stuff and I got the radio for a fair price to help her out. Little did I, or anyone else who bought stuff know, that apparently he liked to take stuff apart and attempt to put it back together...

I am so glad we sent that radio in to get checked over. It's good to know that everything else is working properly on it now.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
RCFlyer44

View RCFlyer44's Gallery2
Club: RC Wingers, Mooresville, NC
Send a message via Yahoo to RCFlyer44
Friends: (8)

Once again Horizon Hobby's stellar support and customer service are just incredible.

I had a very similar experience with a Spektrum rx that was not working, I called and the guy one the phone gave me a couple of tips on what to try and then determined over the phone that it was bad and sent me a new one, next step up, with a shipping label to return mine.

I used them when I wanted to upgraded my radio and decided on the Spektrum DX8 through Horizon Hobby simply because their service is just terrific!! Just hope some new guy doesn't take over and decide to pinch pennies cutting service.

Tower Hobbies service used to be great but I had a really hard time getting them to replace a cracked rotor blade on a small helicopter that was delivered that way.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Originally Posted by spad View Post

As I recall I was juggling a few too many things between two hands and I set my radio down on something slanted... the radio decided to slide off, and I managed to catch it by the antenna - less than ideal but better than smacking pavement.

The antenna casing is thin plastic that sorta screws on or snaps into place just past the "knuckle" - in my case it did not come all the way off but just enough, and I immediately snapped it back into place, apparently squishing the wire down, totally unaware of what I'd done.

I actually have a video of the lockout happening, so you can kinda judge the range limitation - good thing it was a chuck glider conversion that was pretty durable and the motor mount was designed out of square balsa stock so it would shear... so no big loss as I recall - but still.

Video:

Cheers,
GRU

Old 03-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

1kW 

I was curious too. Like I mentioned, I bought this radio used and now, after talking to some other folks that bought stuff from this guy in our club it seems that everything he touched he broke. He got into some serious trouble and is now in prison. His wife asked us as club officers to liquidate his RC stuff and I got the radio for a fair price to help her out. Little did I, or anyone else who bought stuff know, that apparently he liked to take stuff apart and attempt to put it back together...

I am so glad we sent that radio in to get checked over. It's good to know that everything else is working properly on it now.

Hey, I don't break EVERYTHING I touch lol

Old 03-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
SHADY
Got Glue??

Friends: (4)

Awesome.... Always great service in my experience as well....

Confucius say: "Man who go to bed wif itchy butt, may wake up wif smerry finga."
Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
oakleyjp

Club: None Yet
Default They are great to deal with!

I have never had any problems with support from Horizon Hobby. Number one in my book.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
unloco2

Thumbs up

I want to be included in the Horizon Hobby Customer Service Fan Club. SUPER is not enough!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
RCFlyer44

View RCFlyer44's Gallery2
Club: RC Wingers, Mooresville, NC
Send a message via Yahoo to RCFlyer44
Friends: (8)

Have to chime in on this one again (last time was back in April) because I dealt with them on the phone. Checked on a back ordered item and was told it should be in by the end of this week but when I asked if a new order for just a couple of lights for my Super Cub would mess anything up and she said no not at all but I could just add them to be shipped out with your current order and not incur any extra shipping charges. Way to go Horizon!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Friends: (3)

I called Horizon to inform them that I lost the manual to my DX6i. The lady on the phone only asked me on question: what address will we be sending a new manual to? I know a manual is not a big item, but it is my own fault I lost it. They didn't have to send me a new one free of charge.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
I called Horizon to inform them that I lost the manual to my DX6i. The lady on the phone only asked me on question: what address will we be sending a new manual to? I know a manual is not a big item, but it is my own fault I lost it. They didn't have to send me a new one free of charge.
Typical of Horizon! Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #14
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Sent my Warhawk to them for repair, and to know what the problem is. Eagerly awaiting the results and if it is included in warranty.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

They sent me a brand new Warhawk BNF complete with another charger and battery! My plane arrived to them on Friday, and I had a new one on Tuesday.

They do have higher prices than anyone else but I have no complaints because of the service they give. They know how to retain customers.

Now of the weather would just cooperate.......

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions