Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
TylerJCooper

Club: Attempted to start an Omaha Park Club (Aeronuts)
Friends: (8)
Default FunJet vs FunJet Ultra

I had a brown out last week and piled my FunJet into the ground at about 80 mph. Needless to say, gorilla glue was already holding the thing together and the result of the crash are beyond gorilla glues abilities. I am on the hunt to get another FunJet and not sure if I should go with the Ultra. The sole purpose of this plane is to break the 100 mph mark, which I think I have the set-up to do.

So the question is: FunJet or FunJet Ultra. Do you really get anything more with the Ultra for the mark up in price?

Sir Isaac Newton had an apple, I have a plane.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)

Originally Posted by TylerJCooper View Post
I had a brown out last week and piled my FunJet into the ground at about 80 mph. Needless to say, gorilla glue was already holding the thing together and the result of the crash are beyond gorilla glues abilities. I am on the hunt to get another FunJet and not sure if I should go with the Ultra. The sole purpose of this plane is to break the 100 mph mark, which I think I have the set-up to do.

So the question is: FunJet or FunJet Ultra. Do you really get anything more with the Ultra for the mark up in price?
bummer on the brown out, were you using a ubec also, not a good idea to use the AR6100 series Receivers in a fast plane, use a full range receiver, like the AR6200 with a UBEC, 2.4 radios have issues that you have to be aware of, or you will lose you plane, the Funjet is good enough, with out having to spend the extra money for the ultra. hope that helps, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

View groundrushesup's Gallery45
Club: Hill Country Wattheads
Send a message via AIM to groundrushesup
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (20)

I did notice the Ultra comes without "wing tanks" which prob ups the speed and roll rate a chunk...

My $0.02

GRU

Everybody's Somebody at The Hill Country Watthead's Thread!
Stop in and see what we're up to!

Visit Our Youtube Channel, too!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
aerial madman

View aerial madman's Gallery1
Friends: (1)

hey people latley i have been building scratch planes out of corflute and left over foamies {waste not} and have had great success and am now looking to build my version of a funjet something with a good bit of speed and would like to know best hot setups am new to high speed prop pushers as i have been flying edfs would like to get an idea of motor kv? prop,esc and batt for best power and speed results any thoughts most appreciated cheers.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Talking

Originally Posted by aerial madman View Post
hey people latley i have been building scratch planes out of corflute and left over foamies {waste not} and have had great success and am now looking to build my version of a funjet something with a good bit of speed and would like to know best hot setups am new to high speed prop pushers as i have been flying edfs would like to get an idea of motor kv? prop,esc and batt for best power and speed results any thoughts most appreciated cheers.
Hi
Welcome aboard
Im pleased to meet you
Chellie would be the person to go too for help on that
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...417#post502417
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 03-24-2011, 03:32 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Hi aerial madmad here is a set up from RC Foam Fighters for a funjet. how about 146 MPH they have some great plans too.

http://rcfoamfighters.com/blog/?cate...roduct-reviews

and here is my scratch built funjet. the plans are in the thread, hope that helps, Chellie
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...417#post502417

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Welcome to Wattflyers aerial madman

Old 03-24-2011, 03:42 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4UKWvTHX1I

or use a turnigy 2836-2350KV motor, with a 4 cell lipo, 60 amp turnigy ESC, use a UBEC when using a 4 or more cell lipo, and a APC 4.7x4.7 Prop, this motor is a little lighter and good for over 100 MPH, use a 2250mah 4 cell 40C lipo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvOkU5XWXtQ

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9611

Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #9
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Going back to the OP's question; the Ultra is indeed lacking the silly tip tank things. The over all wings look to be smaller too and the airfoil is thinner. Also the foam is much denser. It's like the foam they used on the Blizzard, very dense, very stiff. I think even the parts fit is better. Hard to believe but true.

I've got the molding divers filled, the pips sanded off along with much of the grey (that's only on the surface) and all the sections painted. Tomorrow I'll glue the bits together and solder on the servo extensions and prolly hook up the controls. Friday I'll mount the motor and ESC fir test flights on scatturday.

I'm starting with a mild motor (ARC 28-37-3 that's a 2700Kv), 60 amp Phoenix ESC (because I have one handy) running a 6.5-5 prop on 2200-3 Hyperion G3 cells. Not real high power but a safe place to start. Original FJ does about eighty mph on this set up we'll see how the Ultra does.
Rob II

History, tradition, culture, are *not* concepts!
These are things I keep in my den as paper weights!-Darwin Mayflower
Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 AM   #10
TylerJCooper

Rob II

Interested to hear how it differs. Also interested in seeing any pics.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:57 AM   #11
babylon5

I have experiment with fast C.P. plane.
Up to 2200mah 3 cells , wingspan of 24-26 inches will put in the 100mph possibilities using from 2500KV to 3550KV.

2500Kv motor prop is 5x5 apc approximately 40amps
3550Kv motor prop is 4.5x4.1 appc aprox 30amps

See my latset CP high speed pusher.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_n7KA5jD80

After I discover the benefit of the keel which will prevent prop striking the hand or hitting the ground during landing , I have modified the 24 inches Mugi with the same keel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyatO...el_video_title

Hope this will help.

cheers
Old 04-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #12
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Originally Posted by TylerJCooper View Post
Rob II

Interested to hear how it differs. Also interested in seeing any pics.
Other than the wing tips the differences are tiny and/or hard to see unless you get out the calipers. Airfoil is thinner, parts fit is tighter, and it has some new plastic bits like a hanger for the motor wires in the tail pipe and the super nifty batteryplate/servo wire cover. That even has a slot for a battery wrap tie thing so now you won't have to chase down the flight pack after an aggressive landing. I'll see about pictures not that they'll help. But it could take a bit of time as I'm a bit retarded computorwise.
RobII

History, tradition, culture, are *not* concepts!
These are things I keep in my den as paper weights!-Darwin Mayflower
Old 04-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
babylon5

Hi A.M. , the funjet is built with a "crank arrow " plane form so it is neither a straight wing or a full delta. I am thinking around how to fold the Coroplastic material so that it will have the "crank arrow " shape wing and still maintain a reasonable airfoil.
At the back my head is to joint the wing into two places. May need some experimentation. If it works it will retain some similarity in shape to the funjet...then it will be more fun.

Cheers
Old 05-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
gatorb8

Friends: (0)

I was wondering the same thing as the OP so googled and found this thread. can't believe I never registered here, anyway,

I built a funjet at SEFF this year and am having a blast with it.
I know it's not long for this world and was wondering why the ultrajet is worth $30 more.
The difference I noticed in the sky at SEFF between the two was the ultra was harder to see in the sky.

does the ultra have less drag thus maybe higher speed with less power?

I was looking at the 146 mph vid and looks pretty cool. When I run the prop speed numbers I get 129 mph prop pitch speed. How does it hit 146 mph? maybe I'm running the numbers wrong
Old 05-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
ggunners

Send a message via AIM to ggunners

Hey gatorb8, they said in the video that he was flying downwind and in a dive. That could make the difference between fastest prop and max speed.

I figured you'd have turned your FunJet into a pile of foam by now.

And the new FunJet does have less drag with a thinner wing. Glassing or covering the airframe will also make it more slippery in the air. The FunJet folks in Germany have been modding this one for quite awhile and have some full instruction sets for max speed.

-- ggunners
Old 05-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #16
gatorb8

OK, thanks my SEFF brother!
think I'll convert my soon to be pile of white foam to grey then.....
got to get one of those speed guns, got my prop pitch speed to 132 mph, gonna try a higher pitch for 148 mph pitch speed.......

thing is scary fast in a down wind dive!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #17
ggunners

Send a message via AIM to ggunners

One of the FunJet posts online has a radar gun for about $70 with complete instructions for glassing the original FunJet.

A few more posts talk about the FunJet Ultra having a plastic like feel to the skin on it and it weighing close to twice as much. The general consensus is the denser foam is more rigid, heavier and will handle the full 150 mph type hop ups without additional work.

So, if speed is your thing, the Ultra sounds like the right beast. Others like the idea of making the original FunJet just about anything they want including a fast pattern airplane with rudders, etc.... Sounds like there is room for both in your hanger if you so choose.

-- ggunners
Old 05-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #18
gatorb8

Found an iPhone app called rcspeedo
Doppler effect stuff
Clocked the orig funjet at 118 today
Ultra is next
Too much fun!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:57 AM   #19
TylerJCooper

Sounds like a good time. I am interested to hear how the Ultra does with that sweet set-up.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
WILDTHAWN

not to change the subject but i need to know whats the best glue for the funjet gorilla snot or CA i hear others wont glue the foam i dont know if thats true or not but i'd rather not make the mistake if its avoidable also what the best paint for it
Old 06-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
restlessswind

Just follow the instructions....medium regular type CA (Purple Bob Smith) one one side and kicker on the other (dried).
Old 06-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #22
WILDTHAWN

so does it need to be foam safe or not
Old 06-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #23
TylerJCooper

I personally am a big fan of gorilla glue. Not all CA is foam safe. The slower it dries, the better chances you have. I would always recommend trying a small spot of CA on the foam before doing the whole project.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #24
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Face it, foam safe CA is so because as glue it's essentially worthless.
Is my prejudice pretty obvious?

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #25
WILDTHAWN

watt different kinda paint can i use on the funjet with out melting it

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Pusher Park Jets