Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
peteflys

Friends: (0)
Default First good EDF jet

Hi Guys,
I did not want to post in beginners, because I am a fairly good pilot, but not an expert. I have several glow and three gas models. A few months ago I won a small Sea Fury electric at my club meeting. I wasn’t going to get into electrics, but since I had most of the components needed (from a couple electric helicopters) like a charger and batteries, I asked a few questions on here and with your help, I put it together and flew it. It came with a brushed and geared motor, and had just enough power to keep it in the air, so it was a little boring, as it could not even do a roll without falling out of the sky. The fun part was just being able to throw it in the truck with my other planes and then plug it together and go fly it.
Now, occasionally, one of the club members will show up with a small foam EDF jet and buzz around the field. So in doing a little research and reading, I have decided that I want an EDF jet.
I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. I don’t want to buy a piece of crap, but I also don’t want to spend a ton of money. I really don’t want anything too big right now. I was looking at the Panther.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f9f_panth...33859_prd1.htm

So please tell me what you guys think. We have an asphalt runway, but also some mowed down weed areas where I could land. I’m not opposed to landing gear, I’m just pointing out that I don’t necessarily need gear.
I have a field charger that will charge up to 3 cell Lipos, but it’s not a balancing charger, so I suppose that I would need one? Any recommendations on chargers and batteries?

I also have read about the F-16 from Hobby People. http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...r-and-esc.html

But somewhere I read that the EPO is maybe a little stronger, especially if I'm landing in the weeds. Also, I would like a jet that comes with everything except the receiver ( I have Airtronics RDS8000) for my first EDF. Later, I am sure that I would probably move up to something larger, and would probably need to purchase individual components.

BTW, I have read (and copied to my computer) most of the “Everything you wanted to know about powered flight” sticky.

Hope you guys can at least point me in the right direction, or at the very least, tell me what not to buy.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi Pete
Welcome aboard
Im pleased to meet you
The Panther is my recomendation for a first edf as well
Gentle flight characteristics and a nice glide but also quite aerobatic
Imho you cant go wrong with one of them
I m building an RC Lander version, you may want to check them out as well
http://www.rclander.com/default.aspx...6-2965c866f4a2
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Hi Pete and Welcome to Wattflyers, the phase 3 or the panther are both great entry level EDFs, a lot of my club members like and fly the phase 3, it flies great, Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-28-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
peteflys

Thanks for the "welcomes" and replys. Pretty nice videos.

One question, If I buy the model that comes with a battery, can I use my Lipo capable field charger, or do I need a balancing charger?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by peteflys View Post
Thanks for the "welcomes" and replys. Pretty nice videos.

One question, If I buy the model that comes with a battery, can I use my Lipo capable field charger, or do I need a balancing charger?

Thanks
if your charger is not a balancing Charger, no problem you can use a Blinky balancer while charging your lipo through the power leads, thats how i balance my lipos, and you dont need to balance your lipos every time you charge them, every 3rd or 4th time you charge your lipo, balance them, just hook up the blinky to the balance plug, and when its stops blinking, your battery is balanced, even if the battery is fully charged, and the blinky is still blinking, just disconnect the battery from the charger, and let the blinky work, untill its stops blinking, it connects to the lipos balancing plug, hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.thebarnfloor.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1058

Old 03-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #7
peteflys

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
if your charger is not a balancing Charger, no problem you can use a Blinky balancer while charging your lipo through the power leads, thats how i balance my lipos, and you dont need to balance your lipos every time you charge them, every 3rd or 4th time you charge your lipo, balance them, just hook up the blinky to the balance plug, and when its stops blinking, your battery is balanced, even if the battery is fully charged, and the blinky is still blinking, just disconnect the battery from the charger, and let the blinky work, untill its stops blinking, it connects to the lipos balancing plug, hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.thebarnfloor.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1058

Yes, that helps a lot, thank you!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets