Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

FMA Direct Discuss FMA Direct products or ask your support questions.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-01-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
miernik

Friends: (0)
Default can the FMA PowerLab 8 v2 be used to charge the battery in use?

Can the FMA PowerLab 8 v2 be used to charge a battery while it (the battery being charged) is being used to power other devices?

Of course the devices being connected to the battery are OK with the increased charging voltage of the battery compared to the working voltage.

And I am aware that the charging current going into the battery will be lower then the current displayed by the PowerLab by that many amperes how much the connected devices are draining, so the battery will take a longer time to charge, but are there any other negative consequences besides that of such a setup?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

I don't think there is any problem doing that as long as you are not taking out more than the charger is putting in.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
miernik

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
I don't think there is any problem doing that as long as you are not taking out more than the charger is putting in.
Would there be a problem if I would be taking out of the battery more then I am putting in? For example having the charger attached with solar-panel with 1A current as source and starting the car with 100A from the battery which is being charged?

Another thing I would like to know if there is a problem having the charger output connected to a battery while there is no power source connected to the charger? Would something bad happen then?

Can I for example design a battery with the PowerLab 8 v2 permanently integrated into the battery in one box, with its charging cables and balancing cable permanently connected to the battery? And attach power source only as I need, without disconnecting the PowerLab's output leads from the charged battery?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by miernik View Post
Would there be a problem if I would be taking out of the battery more then I am putting in?...
If you take more out of the battery than the charger is putting in there is the potential to overload the charger. If the charger has overload protection then I guess there would be no harm. I know I have inadvertently started vehicles without disconnecting chargers that were not intended for that purpose and I have never damaged one. It seems that if you want to permanently install the charger in a vehicle it might be a better idea to put a switch between the charger and the battery. Then the charger would be isolated when not charging.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Default Using PL8 as a float charger

Hello:

Regarding your request, there will be no harm. However, some adjustments need to be made to the termination so that the charger doesn't time out from charging too long. Depending on how large the load is, the charge could terminate on C/3 or simply the CV timeout after 30min. The charger will not auto restart when the battery is drained unless the user starts the charge again.

Tim Marks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PL8 CCS.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	145968
Old 10-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
miernik

Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hello:

Regarding your request, there will be no harm. However, some adjustments need to be made to the termination so that the charger doesn't time out from charging too long. Depending on how large the load is, the charge could terminate on C/3 or simply the CV timeout after 30min. The charger will not auto restart when the battery is drained unless the user starts the charge again.

Tim Marks
I have finally set up the system, and I have run into the problem of charge terminating because of CV timeout after 15 minutes. I use A123 cells (AMP20 20Ah pouch cells) and the CCS program doesn't allow me to set any other CV timeout then 15 minutes. So I have to restart the charge manually every 15 minutes, which is trouble. Is there any way to override this 15 minutes timeout, so there is no CV timeout? I made a preset for my 20Ah cell using the 2300 mAh A123 cell as a template. What would be the simplest way to make this work without timeout?
Old 10-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
Tim Marks
President FMA, Inc.

Originally Posted by miernik View Post
I have finally set up the system, and I have run into the problem of charge terminating because of CV timeout after 15 minutes. I use A123 cells (AMP20 20Ah pouch cells) and the CCS program doesn't allow me to set any other CV timeout then 15 minutes. So I have to restart the charge manually every 15 minutes, which is trouble. Is there any way to override this 15 minutes timeout, so there is no CV timeout? I made a preset for my 20Ah cell using the 2300 mAh A123 cell as a template. What would be the simplest way to make this work without timeout?
Hi:

Sorry, can you refresh my memory? Precisely what preset are you using? If custom, can you save a copy out and email it to me at tim@fmadirect.com please?

Thanks,

Tim Marks

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct