Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
old grump

Friends: (0)
Default Disabled people fly too

I have been an RC flyer for over 60 years. Two years ago i had a stroke & lost the use of my legs , & my left hand is almost useless . I wasn't going to give up flying, so i use my electric mobility cart with a swivel seat to fly from . I converted most of my 30 + planes to HITEC single stick 3 channel control. I find it MUCH easier to control to fly that way. I am very lucky to have a large field behind my house to fly from. My latest plane is an SU 27 EDF with coupled ailerons & elevons. So when you get old & not as mobile , don't give up the greatest hobby in the world, ADJUST. THE OLD GRUMP
Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Friends: (1)

Great to hear that you were
able to adapt to a difficult situation.

Good for you!!

Helicopters don't really fly.......
They're just so ugly, that the earth repels them.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Talking

Hi
Thats wonderful
So very happy to see your able to still enjoy our hobby
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC
Friends: (2)

I too am Disabled, due to a fall off a Motor Grader. My back is one big mess. Have to get shots all the time, take a handful of different meds, just to make it through the day. I have a problem bending over, so that's why I switched from Glow to Electric. I plug it in on the table and sit it on the ground and go. The guys at my Club know and help me, so I don't have to bend so often. The best Model Airplane builder, I ever knew was, Olin Helms of Monroe NC. Olin was a parapalegic, with limited use of his hands, caused by a water sking accident back in the early 60's. If Olin built your plane, it was a crime to cover it, because it looked like a piece of art in the Bare bones.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

I'm so happy for you, Old Grump! I just got into this hobby a few months ago at the age of 42, but I'm planning on flying until they roll me away in a casket! Keep us posted and keep 'em flying!

AMA #959089
Old 04-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Big Johnny View Post
I too am Disabled, due to a fall off a Motor Grader. My back is one big mess. Have to get shots all the time, take a handful of different meds, just to make it through the day. I have a problem bending over, so that's why I switched from Glow to Electric. I plug it in on the table and sit it on the ground and go. The guys at my Club know and help me, so I don't have to bend so often. The best Model Airplane builder, I ever knew was, Olin Helms of Monroe NC. Olin was a parapalegic, with limited use of his hands, caused by a water sking accident back in the early 60's. If Olin built your plane, it was a crime to cover it, because it looked like a piece of art in the Bare bones.
Hi Johnny
You have all my prayers and best wishes
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 04-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
krtf4u_corsair
Psalms 1:1-2

Good to hear Grump! Keep it up. God Bless
Old 04-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up

Hi
Do enjoy So sorry shes not e powered
Take care
Yours Hank

Old 04-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

View Lieutenant Loughead's Gallery35
Club: Flown 517 days in a row!
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (24)

I don't want to seem mean, but I'm curious -- how do you guys pick up your airplanes if they land/crash too far away?

What happens if it gets stuck in a tree, or a pond?

I've been wondering these things for several years now -- I wonder what will happen to ME in the future, when I get to that point.

I used to know a guy who was on oxygen. Sometime he would be flying, and the oxygen wouldn't be enough to keep him consious, so he'd ignore the airplane (let it crash), to fiddle with his oxygen tank. This was a very common occurance (one out of every 5 flights or so) -- and he didn't care, because he still got to fly!

Owner of the UNCLUB flying site and hobby shop in Arcadia, OK.

AMA #930992
Old 04-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #10
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Friends: (3)

I would assume that is what friends are for. Heck, I lost a place in a tree and my buddy who is younger than me and a much better tree climber scooted right up and got it. He also got a terrible case of poison oak out of the deal. We still fly together and often laugh about it.

A pre-flight check is better than a post crash analysis
Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptGroovy#p/u
My Blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=239855
Old 04-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #11
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Thats really encouraging I keep thinking I am going to break my neck falling out of a tree one day, or getting trampled half to death by the bull in the next paddock. Now I know others have found a way around disability, I just lost all my fear
Old 04-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #12
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Hi
There are no boundaries when it comes to the human spirit
Do enjoy
Take care
Yours Hank

Old 04-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #13
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Friends: (1)

Wheni was young and tough I climbed trees and wca peter up and down slopes after planes crashed by "the old guys and crips".
Later on I learned how to convert new style radios to old style single stick systems for the guys with use of only one hand.

I'd fetch and carry, and anything else needed and I'd *listen* when they talked. I learned a lot about how to build, rebuild and fly models. Often those guys would invite me into their shops to learn all the mystical secrets of model building.

Now I'm one of those old crips. The "young guys" help me out doing all those things I did for other guys although I still convert radios. Some of them even like to listen to me ramble on about building and rebuilding models. Sometimes I'll do repair work or even build a kit or scratch something up for those young guys.

I still fly slope though I've not been down the cliff in several years and even though those ravenous plane eating trees jump in front of my models from time to time I haven't climbed a tree in years.

Near as I can figure you get what you give. Or as the Beatles said: the love you make is equal to the love you take.
Life is good even if it hurts...
RobII

History, tradition, culture, are *not* concepts!
These are things I keep in my den as paper weights!-Darwin Mayflower
Old 04-03-2011, 05:11 AM   #14
hillbillynamedpossum
Rode the short bus

View hillbillynamedpossum's Gallery5
Club: Is under the seat
Friends: (8)

When I was a boy it seemed like about 1 in 5 "old" men (45 was old back then!) was missing a piece of ear, an arm a foot ar at least a few fingers. There were a lot more WW II vets around back then, and some had left body parts on some miserable beach over across the pond. Several had lost parts to farm accidents. Some had lost fingers and arms to logging accidents. Long story short, they just went on living. Im sure there were things that they couldnt do, but they never let it show.

Youve never seen anything till youve seen a man with one hand roll a cigarette!

Possum

Founder, Chief Builder, Head Designer, an Lead Test Pilot of Possum Holler Aircraft Company. (A made up company that transforms styrofoam into packing peanuts, and balsa wood into toothpicks)
Old 04-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #15
imott

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
I don't want to seem mean, but I'm curious -- how do you guys pick up your airplanes if they land/crash too far away?

What happens if it gets stuck in a tree, or a pond?

I've been wondering these things for several years now -- I wonder what will happen to ME in the future, when I get to that point.

I used to know a guy who was on oxygen. Sometime he would be flying, and the oxygen wouldn't be enough to keep him consious, so he'd ignore the airplane (let it crash), to fiddle with his oxygen tank. This was a very common occurance (one out of every 5 flights or so) -- and he didn't care, because he still got to fly!
I am a paraplegic. When my heli gets stuck in a tree, I shoot it down with my compound bow!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

View Lieutenant Loughead's Gallery35
Club: Flown 517 days in a row!
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (24)

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi
There are no boundaries when it comes to the human spirit
Do enjoy
Take care
Yours Hank
Okay -- how does she control the throttle, stick, and rudder at the same time?

Originally Posted by imott View Post
I am a paraplegic. When my heli gets stuck in a tree, I shoot it down with my compound bow!
I like it! But doesn't that damage your airplane?

Owner of the UNCLUB flying site and hobby shop in Arcadia, OK.

AMA #930992
Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Friends: (3)

I like it! But doesn't that damage your airplane?[/QUOTE]
__________________________________________________ ___

No... he's a very good shot!

A pre-flight check is better than a post crash analysis
Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptGroovy#p/u
My Blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=239855
Old 04-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #18
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC

Most of the time there is some young Buck hanging around, who is more than happy to climb the tree for the old fat guy.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #19
swimmer

Originally Posted by old grump View Post
I have been an RC flyer for over 60 years. Two years ago i had a stroke & lost the use of my legs , & my left hand is almost useless . I wasn't going to give up flying, so i use my electric mobility cart with a swivel seat to fly from . I converted most of my 30 + planes to HITEC single stick 3 channel control. I find it MUCH easier to control to fly that way. I am very lucky to have a large field behind my house to fly from. My latest plane is an SU 27 EDF with coupled ailerons & elevons. So when you get old & not as mobile , don't give up the greatest hobby in the world, ADJUST. THE OLD GRUMP
My flying buddy Larry had a severe stroke several years ago. He was, and still is, an avid RC builder/flier but now he only has use of his left hand and foot. I am amazed at his dexterity in that he can operate a Vapor PNP transmitter using only his left hand. We fly weekly with several others inside our church gym and we are all amazed at his progress with the Vapor.

Just think about the possibilities if there was a way to foot control the throttle/rudder? Larry has control of his left foot and I believe he could fly larger planes using his left foot for throttle/rudder and left hand on the right stick. I've put some thought to how this could be accomplished but have nothing workable yet.

swimmer
Old 09-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
zander

Default Disabled flying

Hi Old grump
was looking on internet today to try and find info regarding flying radio control planes for the disabled as i have no use of left arm due to polio at 3 years of age...so far have drawn a blank on how to get round the controller aspect of this, but saw your post and wondered if you could give me an idea of how the controller could be modified(laymans terms please...im not a flyer yet)Im in my 60s now and would love to get into this hobby...have asked a few model shop dealers but no one seems to have any idea how it can be done

Regards Zander
Old 09-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #21
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

We have a young member of our club who is special. As he says, "It's only a disability if you let it be one" I can only hope if I ever have to face such an adversity I can do as well as he does.

He asks no quarter and we don't give him any. And that's the way he wants it.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #22
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

I did a little hunting till I found this thread by Nitro who did a good deed and helped out a club member with his handicap. Hope Nitros idea can help someone else out.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59561

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions