Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-03-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)
Default who makes what?relabeled/badged rc stuff,which companies rebadge others stuff?

this may have an already existing thread ,but i couldn't find it so here goes.....

i search threads all the time and often here that certain items are made by one company but repackaged/labeled/badged by another .

example:turnigy esc's are re-badged hobbywings.is that true or false?another is more complex ,with glow engines,that APC is the same as MAGNUM....but the outer casing is machined with the different logos[i know,don't talk slimmies here at wf].seems like a lot of people agree or disagree on who makes what and the quality of these rebadged rc items.

so what i wonder is this,who's the original makers and who are the copiers .this can be servos,esc's,motors,ect...ect.

the point to the question is because china produces so much of our beloved hobby that we are always looking for a bargain,so if i can buy the same esc from hobbywing and have the same confidence as i do with turnigy plush that can take 4 weeks to deliver i would go hobbywing.

any shared wisdom should be verified as true by the supplier of said information ,so not to start and flame war. thanks,stu

PS: this all started due to my needing an affordable 80 amp esc that won't cost $150+...lol

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
PS: this all started due to my needing an affordable 80 amp esc that won't cost $150+...lol
Take a look at Castle Creations ESCs:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ID=CSEPHXICE75

And this unit includes a $25 uBEC that will run your receiver, plus data logging of your flight as a standard feature. That uBEC will run your receiver directly from the battery for the motor, up to the maximum rating of the ESC.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

View Saddlebum's Gallery5
Friends: (2)

Those HobbyWing ESC's look VERY similar to Horizon hobby's ESC's, don't they? Coincidence? I think not.

AND, I have noticed that both my E-Flite and Hacker motors have "Made in China" printed on the box!

Proof I believe, that the tag "Made in China" is only an indicator of origin and NOT an indicator of quality.

...The Bum
Old 04-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

the esc's that appear to be exact coppies of each oth have different wire color leading to the motor,maybe thats what makes a seller feel they can call it there own...lol....

examples:this looks just like the hobby king 100amper

100A OPTO Brushless Speed Controller ESC (w/o BEC) [Volcano Series]

Item# BrushlessESC_07E10-100A
Rating:

Regular price: $129.95
Sale price: $99.95
You Save 23% Quantity: Add Exceed

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 04-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

hobbykings version,

Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

TURNIGY Sentilon100A HV 5-12S BESC (Ver4)SKU: TR_S100A-HV$84.01 WEIGHT

Old 04-05-2011, 02:56 AM   #7
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by Stuart 07:43 AM Yesterday
The esc's that appear to be exact coppies of each oth have different wire color leading to the motor,maybe thats what makes a seller feel they can call it there own...lol....
examples:this looks just like the hobby king 100amper
100A OPTO Brushless Speed Controller ESC (w/o BEC)

[Volcano Series]
ImageItem# BrushlessESC_07E10-100A
Rating:
View Reviews!
Regular price: $129.95
Sale price: $99.95

You Save 23% Quantity: Add Exceed
Hmm Jeti uses the OPTO name for their BEC-less ESC also. Is this a common term?

And let's not even bring up battery chargers!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2011, 03:03 AM   #8
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

This is a very common occurance in the hobby industry. And it's not one company copying another, it's basically the root manufacturer selling a product to multiple companies, who then "brand" the product with their own company name.

For example, Suppo makes some good outrunner motors. But they are also sold as BP Hobbies, RCTimer, etc, etc. But they are still the same motor.

Pat Gagnon
Old 04-05-2011, 03:28 AM   #9
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

hey there flywheel, that's just what i was thinking when i started this topic,but i reexamined the title of my post and realized the subject matter is way to vast to cause much conversaton.....,it's information overload.

just bugs me when the same esc can be $20[or less] at one store and $40+ with another and we are the ones getting ripped off.

theres an on line store that gets poor reviews for customer service that works out of NY area. they sell a motor they claim isn't a hobbyking SK series.....but i showed my hk SK next to another pilot who bought from that store and they paid alot more. the only difference between the 2 motors was the label was missing on his motor. go figure,the owners of that shop earned their reputation for poor service in more ways than this one.

so,for all that could be learned and money that could be saved from sharing information on ripoff bootleggers,i think this thread should go by the wayside and drift off into the past. i was venting from hours of online searching esc products onlyto finally go with the castle creation brand which seems to be in a class of it's own.

seems i have to seach ebay more often,larger rc stores sell what we;er looking for on ebay and at huge savings.

example: all-e-rc sells the 100amp CC esc thru there online store for $139 + shipping, but on ebay they sold one for$104 with free shipping.now that's cool.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions