Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
calldaffer
just stop crashing!!

Friends: (2)
Question Don't even know where to begin - help picking a transmitter

Alright I foresee no end to this new hobby of mine (does E-Flite have a referral program, they should because I've already gotten two people hooked and they've bought heli's). In my free time I continually search online for my next future helicopter and I'm also considering venturing into planes as well. As some of you may already know I have a Blade mCX2 and a Blade 120 SR.

I currently have just the stock transmitter that came with my Blade mCX2 but I would like to get one good transmitter that I can use with all my Blade helicopters and future purchases.

I don't need some wildly extravagant remote with 6 channels, something with 4 or 5 channels at the most and offers a few nice bells and whistles that are relevant and useful. Lastly, I don't want to spend a fortune for it...I'd rather buy more helicopters but I do realize that I will have to spend a little bit to get a good transmitter although I am willing to buy used off eBay or if anyone here has one they want to part with.

So, give me recommendations if you have them because I am totally clueless!
Old 04-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
Get the best tx you can afford, how much are you willing to spend?
We will be able to answer much easier if we know
Heres a few budget ones
http://www.hobbyhorse.com/optic_radios.shtml
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../futk6900.html
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 04-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
calldaffer
just stop crashing!!

I'd be comfortable parting with $100 for one...new or used.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by calldaffer View Post
I'd be comfortable parting with $100 for one...new or used.
Hi
Might as well start shopping around then for a used one and your not going to get a much better tx then the one that came with your helis imho
Theres not much in that price range
I would wait use the one you have and save up to get the best you can
Same with your charger these are imho THE most important items you can get for this hobby and shouldnt scrimp on them
If you cant spend more heres the one i would recomend
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_304652
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 04-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

If you want to stay with Spektrum receivers you probably should be looking at something like the DX6i at a minimum.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Friends: (10)

A bit dated but the info is very relevant. You are not just buying a TX when you get 2.4 > you are buying into the RX line associated with it. There is no cross compatibility, though there now are some clones for Spektrum and Futaba.

Don't buy a standard radio!
STANDARD RADIOS vs. COMPUTER RADIOS

6-ch computer TX is a bare minimum, otherwise you are mostly wasting your money unless you use it for a buddy box later.

A REALLY common mistake of newbies is to focus on the planes/helis (more, more, more). You absolutely want a GOOD TX and a GOOD charger. They are the foundation needed to have a decent fleet of anything. Hoards of people have hoards of essentially unusable TX and cheap chargers lying around.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
A bit dated but the info is very relevant. You are not just buying a TX when you get 2.4 > you are buying into the RX line associated with it. There is no cross compatibility, though there now are some clones for Spektrum and Futaba.

6-ch computer TX is a bare minimum, otherwise you are mostly wasting your money unless you use it for a buddy box later.

A REALLY common mistake of newbies is to focus on the planes/helis (more, more, more). You absolutely want a GOOD TX and a GOOD charger. They are the foundation needed to have a decent fleet of anything. Hoards of people have hoards of essentially unusable TX and cheap chargers lying around.
Hi
Excellent advice
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Old 04-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

View Figure.N9ne's Gallery8
Club: Mako's RC Jet Club
Send a message via AIM to Figure.N9ne

you can find a dx6i used for about $100.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

View MaxAdventure's Gallery2
Send a message via Yahoo to MaxAdventure
Awards Showcase

3kW  1kW  2kW 
Friends: (7)

Alright I foresee no end to this new hobby of mine..... In my free time I continually search online for my next future helicopter and I'm also considering venturing into planes as well....... I would like to get one good transmitter that I can use with all my Blade helicopters and future purchases.
If you are serious about the hobby, you seriously want to get into airplanes and helicopters - then you have to realize you're starting to step past all-in-one toys, big box offernings and staring to look at where some people have gone with this hobby, what things are possible. The single most important thing for you to do right this minute (IMHO) is read so much on RCUniverse, RCGroups, WattFlyer, HeliFreak, FlyingGiants, RCCanada, etc that it makes your head swim. I say this because I don't think you fathom how important a good transmitter is, what the possibilities are, and what your options are.

I don't need some wildly extravagant remote with 6 channels, something with 4 or 5 channels at the most and offers a few nice bells and whistles that are relevant and useful. Lastly, I don't want to spend a fortune for it...I'd rather buy more helicopters but I do realize that I will have to spend a little bit to get a good transmitter although I am willing to buy used off eBay or if anyone here has one they want to part with.

So, give me recommendations if you have them because I am totally clueless!
I love my airplanes and helicopters, and besides all the reasons why and other suggestions I have, I'll start out saying that someone really feeling like they're hooked and want to go further should get a modern 7ch as a minimum.

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post

Flydiver stated succinctly, listen to him. Also, this is very important - just because you're flying a 4ch heli or plane doesn't mean you don't need a 6 or 7 ch TX. They have features that allow you to do things a 4ch doesn't. Also, you would be surprised how quickly you advance to something that needs more channels than you thought. Arguably one of the most popular entry sailplanes (often used as a first plane, a trainer, entry to sailplanes), the Radian has a new version that has the option to use four channels to control the wing surfaces, two for the tail, and the motor - that's seven. It's a fantastic plane and one I'd recommend for someone who is have fun with what they have like you looking to expand their horizons a bit. (It can be set up as a 5ch fyi, you just will never experience the possibilities without at least 7ch TX)

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
you can find a dx6i used for about $100.
I almost bought a DX6i when I went to upgrade to the new 2.4ghz to supplement my aging 6 and 7 channel radios that were 15 and 26 years old respectively. The DX6i is a great radio, at least for a trainer setup, a second or third radio, or someone that is happy with a park flyer in the back yard every so often. I ended up with a 9ch, and I"m so glad I did. So many things I would have missed out on.

If you really are interested in RC planes and Helis - you'll be wanting more within the season, I promise. Proof is found on all the web sites I mentioned. So many people thinking exactly like you, and just wanted to pick up a basic radio cheap and ended up buying again. Their stories are there, just read. You'll also learn all different brands and options, why some people like them and some don't. There are a ton of people on sites like HeliFreak and FlyingGiants that thirst for the latest greatest and you can get some great deals on great transmitters.

For someone new, that knows they want to expand and are exited about a lot of things in the hobby, this is the minimum I recommend:

7ch, 2.4Ghz spektrum, pick a known brand. (JR/Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics)

For a new radio, the Hitec Aurora 9 is a fantastic value - check it out. I love my JR/Spektrum because compatible BNF models and RXs are plentiful.

good luck!

There is ALWAYS room for some levity in your brevity!
Old 04-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
spad

Friends: (0)

Hitec Aurora 9, hands down.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Hi
Check out this thread
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61205
Take care
Yours Hank

Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
calldaffer
just stop crashing!!

Lots of advice and a lot to soak in. Thank you and keep it coming because this is exactly what I was looking for. So tell me this, if I could get my hands on a Dx5e for $40, should I as a step up to my stock transmitter that came with my mCX2? Right now that is all I have currently, just the stock transmitter and I'm flying both my mCX2 and my 120 SR with it. I realize that I need to save up for a better transmitter and do some research on this but would you spend the $40 on this Dx5e or just stay with the stock remote I have?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up

Lots of advice and a lot to soak in. Thank you and keep it coming because this is exactly what I was looking for. So tell me this, if I could get my hands on a Dx5e for $40, should I as a step up to my stock transmitter that came with my mCX2? Right now that is all I have currently, just the stock transmitter and I'm flying both my mCX2 and my 120 SR with it. I realize that I need to save up for a better transmitter and do some research on this but would you spend the $40 on this Dx5e or just stay with the stock remote I have?
Hi
Thats a good deal and yes i think you should imho
Its a nice step up from the stock tx and would serve you well as you save up for a better one
Take care
Yours Hank

Old 04-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
calldaffer
just stop crashing!!

another question that comes to mind when I am looking at the transmitters is why do some of them say "only mode 1" and "only mode 2" and what is mode 1 and 2 do I want both or one or the other?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc

The only advantage I can see to the DX5 vs the transmitter that came with your heli is that the DX5 is a full range transmitter, the ones that came with the heli are probably only intended for the short range type of flying you would do with the that size heli. Since it sounds like you are primarily in to helis at this point, I do not thin the DX5 would offer you much of a jump from what you have currently. I would save the $40 and put it towards a transmitter such as the DX6i, which will give you a lot more functions that you currently do not have.
If you think you are going to get a bigger airplane that will fly further out, even if it is still a " parkflyer" then I am not sure if your heli transmitters will be reliable at the longer ranges you might fly at; under those conditions the DX5 might be a better deal but as other said you can probably find a used DX6i for not that much more and it has a lot of additional function that the DX5 would not give you
Old 04-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #16
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

another question that comes to mind when I am looking at the transmitters is why do some of them say "only mode 1" and "only mode 2" and what is mode 1 and 2 do I want both or one or the other?
Hi
The mode is how the sticks on the tx are setup in respect to throttle rudder elevator and aileron
http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rc-...ter-modes.html
Most of us here in the USA fly mode 2, overseas mode 1 is more popular
Hope this helps
Take care
Yours Hank

Old 04-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #17
calldaffer
just stop crashing!!

Thus far you are correct. I am only into Heli's but at some point I do plan to venture into planes and I would like to move up into Trex helicopters once I get good with these less expensive heli's but I do want to upgrade my transmitter (and as some of you have mentioned chargers) to something more suitable before I ever venture into the more expensive equipment. Currently I only fly my mCX2 in the apartment and in a gym and the 120 SR in the same gym and in a small area outside at my apartment complex so neither one of them get very far out of my line of site. So is it better to save the money for a better transmitter than to buy the DX5?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Hi
Hate to disagee with you dumo but its more then just the range increase
The DX5e is a much better tx then the stock msr and mcx tx
Theres more mixs and options for both fixed wing and and helis
Stock
http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...odID=EFLH1064B
DX5E
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM5500
I say its still a very good upgrade over the stock one and think he should get one for the $40 imho
Take care
Yours Hank

Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #19
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Awards Showcase

3kW  1kW  2kW 

Thus far you are correct. I am only into Heli's but at some point I do plan to venture into planes and I would like to move up into Trex helicopters once I get good with these less expensive heli's but I do want to upgrade my transmitter (and as some of you have mentioned chargers) to something more suitable before I ever venture into the more expensive equipment.
Don't limit yourself on the Align helicopters. They're fine, but I believe you have far more choices. 325mm CP heli's are a great compromise for size, performance, and cost. I do enjoy my TRex 450 Pro, but if I hadn't gotten such a good deal, I would have preferred a Beam or Rage heli.

In the same way, don't limit yourself to a 'step' for the TX, You'll want more TX in a few months - save the cash so you can get the better TX sooner. I wouldn't want to fly a 6ch CP heli with less than the DX7, sure - it can be done just fine with a 6i, but the features going further up - think of this, the model memory alone is worth the step up of you're flying a couple 2-3 helis and then you add in 3-4 planes.

Charger: for electric flight, the next most important piece of equipment. After many different chargers and understanding the fire risk, I'll stick with FMA CellPro. Check this out, some awesome CellPro 4S on eBay starting at .99: http://shop.ebay.com/whofingcares/m....id=p4340.l2562

If you want to fly bigger than 325mm or basic park planes, the CellPro10 is worth it's weight in gold as a LiPo charger.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #20
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Awards Showcase

3kW  1kW  2kW 

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
I say its still a very good upgrade over the stock one and think he should get one for the $40 imho
Hank, you offer some great help all the time and have good info - do you really think it's a good idea to go for the DX5 deal considering the expanding interest you express? Honestly, I think you are the most 'expert' of the beginner level and big box toys, yet you have a 12X, right? Why do you have the 12X and how do you like using it?

I've just read so many over the years that are at this exact same decision point, pick up the DX5 or DX6 and then end up getting another radio within months because it wasn't enough. I'm not saying we all need 9305s or 12X, (or 14MZ for goodness sakes!) just trying to express how much the technology really adds to the hobby at the mid-range radios.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #21
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by MaxAdventure View Post
Hank, you offer some great help all the time and have good info - do you really think it's a good idea to go for the DX5 deal considering the expanding interest you express? Honestly, I think you are the most 'expert' of the beginner level and big box toys, yet you have a 12X, right? Why do you have the 12X and how do you like using it?

I've just read so many over the years that are at this exact same decision point, pick up the DX5 or DX6 and then end up getting another radio within months because it wasn't enough. I'm not saying we all need 9305s or 12X, (or 14MZ for goodness sakes!) just trying to express how much the technology really adds to the hobby at the mid-range radios.
Hi
Thanks i appreciate the vote of confidence
You did notice in my first and second postings thast i said to get the best tx and charger you could afford as they are imho The most important purchases for this hobby
I agreed with the DX5e because of the low price as he couldnt even replace the mcx stock tx for that price and as an added bonus he would have a better tx to use in the mean time
It took me quite a while to save up for the 12 X and i only went that high as i have a lot of models already with more on the way so wanted the most for my money
He may find that the DX5e is more then adequate for his needs and never go farther
Its also nice to have an inexpensive tx as a backup
I still have many lower end txs , in fact i keep one in my vehicle with an aircraft at all times for spur of the moment fun
I would never leave my 12 X in car all the time so one of the older ones fits the bill
Hope that explains my point of view
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #22
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Awards Showcase

3kW  1kW  2kW 

Hope that explains my point of view
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
yup, perfect! A good perspective of why a less expensive radio can last and is a good stepping stone - thanks.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #23
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc

Hi
Hate to disagee with you dumo but its more then just the range increase
The DX5e is a much better tx then the stock msr and mcx tx
Theres more mixs and options for both fixed wing and and helis
Stock
http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...odID=EFLH1064B
DX5E
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM5500
Take care
Yours Hank
Maybe so, if you have flown one I would defer to your thoughts, but at least on the spec sheet for the DX5 you have linked, I only see a mix for delta wing. I think the hi/low rate % is fixed rather than adjustable and it does not say it expo is available. I do not see anything about helis specific things mentioned. The last point which I hinged on is that the DX5 does not have multiple model memory. It sounds like he has a number of aircraft he want s to be able to fly, if he is going to stay in the Spectrum family the 6i would allow him to set up 10 models. If he is looking outside the Spectrum group that advantage will be minimized. Lots of crystal ball gazing to do.
No doubt it is a better tx than what he has now, to me it just sounds like he will be better served in the long run by saving the $40 towards the DX6i
Old 04-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #24
Turner
Super Contributor

The DX5e is not a computer radio. It is not programable. No expo. Dual rates are fixed. I think the low rates are 70%. No model memory so no limit on the number of models you can bind to and fly. It does not remember trim settings. It's a good radio and certainly better than what he has but not a very big step up.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #25
cjg

Friends: (0)

I bought a DX6i thinking it was all I'ld ever need. In some ways it is, and it performs very well. However, the 10 model memory seemed big at the time. I've been happy with it, but have begun to see the day I might out grow it. (This hobby is addictive...)

Now, I sometimes wish I'ld bought the DX7 series.

CJG
(HZ Supercub, PZ T-28 Trojan, Eflite BCX, PZ 210 Micro, UM P-51, UM T-28 and bunch of R/C trucks)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros