Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Talking My New Ride

Hi
Picked up one of these over the weekend
Going to motorize her asap
http://motorbicycling.com/
Should be just the ticket for cruising the beaches and board walks here in West Haven CT
Do enjoy
Take care
Your Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

View Grasshopper's Gallery48
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (52)

Cool. Can you hook a snow plow to the front for winter riding?

Tom
Old 04-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Cool. Can you hook a snow plow to the front for winter riding?
Hi Tom
Thats what i got these for
The Bike is strictly for warm sunny days
Take care dear friend
Your Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Looks good Hank what size motor and lipos are you going to run on that puppy.

I can't wait to get some beach time in myself and enjoy the sites.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
RightFly
No Clique Zone

Friends: (2)

Hank

Is that a two or three channel ride?

Roger
Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Hey Hank

HK has a brushless motor that is about 20 hp

That should do it.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Hi
So sorry guys but shes getting an IC engine and not an electric motor
Going to end up something like this
Take care dear friends
Yours Hank

Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 AM   #8
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

What? To weak to pedal?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
What? To weak to pedal?

Posted via Mobile Device
Hi Chris
Quite the contrary, im still in excellent shape due too all those years in the miltary
I have a nice motorcycle now i want a nice motorized bike for just tooling around town as their economical, up to 100 mpg, more then fast enough for town and and surrounding countryside, as they can go as fast as 45 to 50 mph and they are very cool imho
Heres a few examples that im going to base mine on
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Old 04-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

hank,

If they really can go 45-50mph i'd be VERY concerned about having only push bike cable operated rim brakes to stop you
I'm a keen cyclist having been using a bike to commute to work on for the last 20 years. I'd not trust normal cycle brakes to stop me from 50mph, especially with the added weight of an engine onboard. The energy needed to be dissipated by the brakes is over 600% higher when stopping from 50mph than from 20mph.. that's not even considering the weight increase.

Death can be fatal!

Why not just get a small motorbike?

Steve
Old 04-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #11
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
hank,

If they really can go 45-50mph i'd be VERY concerned about having only push bike cable operated rim brakes to stop you
I'm a keen cyclist having been using a bike to commute to work on for the last 20 years. I'd not trust normal cycle brakes to stop me from 50mph, especially with the added weight of an engine onboard. The energy needed to be dissipated by the brakes is over 600% higher when stopping from 50mph than from 20mph.. that's not even considering the weight increase.

Death can be fatal!

Steve
Hi Steve
Appreciate the good thoughts and concern
I wouldnt ride her that fast my friend
Be assured that im going with upgraded disc brakes, in fact every thing will be changed so she really wont be the same bike that i have now
And the biggest pro and the reason why i want this over say a small motorcycle is that i can ride this on the boardwalks around West haven
We have many miles of board walks and bike lanes and with the motor off i can peddle up and down them to my hearts content, i would have to walk the motorcycleand that aint happening
West Haven Board walk
http://www.courant.com/entertainment...,7280612.story
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Old 04-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hank,
That's good to hear. If you go for disks be aware there are two basic types; cable operated and hydraulic. The hydraulic ones are more expensive but are far and away the best. I have these on my mountain bike and they are very good. Putting on disk breaks will mean replacing the wheels (you need hubs with disk mounts), also mounting the calipers to the frame and front fork is problematic if these parts dont have caliper mounts (I can see from the photos it doesn't), special adapters will be needed or lugs welded on... this will end up an expensive project!

Bike brakes is a subject dear to my heart having taken a trip over the handlebars a couple of weeks back when the steel back plate of my commuting bike front brake pad dug into the soft aluminium rim, locking the wheel solid (my fault for letting it wear down but easy mistake to make). Only a few bruises and scrapes for me but if it had been a motorised bike I'd hate to think of the consequences.

You rules must be a lot more relaxed in the US than here in the UK.. Here if we put an engine on a cycle it legally becomes a motorcycle and all the same rules, regulations and restrictions apply. Is there some exception in US law up to a certain engine size or motorbike weight? It's worth checking this out before you go spending a lot of $ on a bike you may find is illegal for the task you have in mind.

Steve
Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Talking

Hank,
That's good to hear. If you go for disks be aware there are two basic types; cable operated and hydraulic. The hydraulic ones are more expensive but are far and away the best. I have these on my mountain bike and they are very good. Putting on disk breaks will mean replacing the wheels (you need hubs with disk mounts), also mounting the calipers to the frame and front fork is problematic if these parts dont have caliper mounts... this will end up an expensive project!

Bike brakes is a subject dear to my heart having taken a trip over the handlebars a couple of weeks back when the steel back plate of my commuting bike front brake pad dug into the soft aluminium rim, locking the wheel solid (my fault for letting it wear down but easy mistake to make). Only a few bruises and scrapes for me but if it had been a motorised bike I'd hate to think of the consequences.

You rules must be a lot more relaxed in the US than here in the UK.. Here if we put an engine on a cycle it legally becomes a motorcycle and all the same rules, regulations and restrictions apply. Is there some exception in US law up to a certain engine size or motorbike weight? It's worth checking this out before you go spending a lot of $ on a bike you may find is illegal for the task you have in mind.

Steve
Hi Steve
Thanks for all the info and if you can think of any ideas that would help i would deeply appreciate it
In the states they are classified as a motor assisted bicycle
Before starting this project i checked with my states DMV and they laughed at me when i asked about registration and licensing
The only stipulation is that you have to be 16 years or older to operate them and when utilizing the engine you follow the same rules as a motor vehicle and only ride with them on suitable roads
So i can drive her through town on the main roads and then with the engine off peddle her on the bike and pedestrian walks and lanes
a perfect vehicle for my shoreline community
I have seen a few around here in fact and that what gave me the idea
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Funny how you don't have to regester that, but a silly little 50cc scooter is a completely different story.

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #15
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Funny how you don't have to regester that, but a silly little 50cc scooter is a completely different story.
Hi Chris
I Dont know the DMV laws where you are but here in CT even a 50 cc scooter doesnt require a registration only a license to operate a motor vehicle
Its only when you go larger then 50 cc that you need to register them as a motorcycle and have a motorcycle license to operate them
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Old 04-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi Chris
I Dont know the DMV laws where you are but here in CT even a 50 cc scooter doesnt require a registration only a license to operate a motor vehicle
Its only when you go larger then 50 cc that you need to register them as a motorcycle and have a motorcycle license to operate them
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
That is TX as well. Under 50cc's is "scooter" class. Above that and you it is a motorcycle and you need the motorcycle check to ride.

Mike
Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #17
kevinm

Friends: (0)
Default nuther obsession

heres what kept me from flying today- i scored this header off feebay for 70% off new price (theyre usually $5-700- it wouldnt have happened but for good ol fleabay) and it actually got installed today! it also might not have have happened, but i got sheet metal fab history ,35 years in blacksmith shops-- the oem muffler support needed a compound bend - the old 2 into 2 system <<really>> stank, IMO , all i could hear was the front cylinder, and this makes this 1200 BLAAAT like it thinks its a 1340 ! (oops, less flying this year)

BTW, this bike was christened the ketchup and mustard bike by my dad , he bought it new in 1996

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 into 1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	147076  
Old 04-23-2011, 01:34 AM   #18
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5

Steve: The regestrationrequirement was for Cal-e-4-knee-ya. I don't know what it is here.

And BTW, the laws recognise a human-powered bicycle the same way: Subject to all the rules of the road as a motor vehicle. That, I believe is true in all 50 states.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #19
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

And BTW, the laws recognise a human-powered bicycle the same way: Subject to all the rules of the road as a motor vehicle. That, I believe is true in all 50 states.

I'd be amazed if all the same rules applied to 'human powered' bikes as to motor vehicles.. For instance:
  • Minimum age to operate?
  • Driving tests?
  • Driving licences?
  • Use on designated cycleways and paths?
  • Requirement for road worthiness tests (Mot test in UK)?
  • Vehicle registration?
  • vehicle taxation?
  • Requirement to display registration/taxation plates?
  • Requirement to be fitted with a speedometer?
The list goes on.....
If there is an exemption is some US states for 'motor assist bicycles' then that's fine but i suspect some people will take it too far. For instance some of the 'motor assisted bicycles' posted in this thread are to my eye simply small motor bikes, not bicycles. They don't even have pedals so how could you call them bicycles? ... Probably just jealously on my part because the rules in the UK are so tight!
Old 04-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
ArneH
Balsa Builder

Club: BMFK
Friends: (1)

Here is my e-bike. Powered by a 250w engine. 36v 10 Ah LIPO. 25 - 43 miles range. And speed 15 mh. (engine).
This is no motorbike, so you had to pedal. But the engine give a good help, and I still get the exercise. I love this bike, and use it every day, for transport, fresh air and fun.

BTW. Here in Norway, you don't need to register or pay tax or insurance on this bikes. As long as the speed limit is 25 kmt or 15 miles h.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #21
hillbillynamedpossum
Rode the short bus

View hillbillynamedpossum's Gallery5
Club: Is under the seat

heck with it all boys, get a good 4 year old black mule! You cant get much greener than that!

Several years ago I bent wrenches in a lawn and garden shop. Some hippie tree hugger came in looking for an electric weed eater. I asked him why, and he said they didnt pollute.....I reminded him that our electric comes from coal, and even though he didnt see the pollution, it was still pollution....granted, it was less pollution. That stumped him! You could see by the look on his face that he hadnt even thought of it before! I then told him of some very old, almost forgotten technology for mowing grass that is self propelled, self adjusting, self-reparing, self replicating under certain circumstances, requires very little maintanace, and lasts for several years. This lawn mowing device was even used at the White House at one time. This device is so eco-friendly the only things it needs to run are grass and weeds and water, and maybe some minerals....and the best part, the only emissions from the devices are totally organic fertalizer. Mr Hippie was about to wet his pants. He asked what these marvelous devices are called, I responded, "Sheep"

Possum

Founder, Chief Builder, Head Designer, an Lead Test Pilot of Possum Holler Aircraft Company. (A made up company that transforms styrofoam into packing peanuts, and balsa wood into toothpicks)
Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

I'd be amazed if all the same rules applied to 'human powered' bikes as to motor vehicles.. For instance:
  • Minimum age to operate?
  • Driving tests?
  • Driving licences?
  • Use on designated cycleways and paths?
  • Requirement for road worthiness tests (Mot test in UK)?
  • Vehicle registration?
  • vehicle taxation?
  • Requirement to display registration/taxation plates?
  • Requirement to be fitted with a speedometer?
The list goes on.....
If there is an exemption is some US states for 'motor assist bicycles' then that's fine but i suspect some people will take it too far. For instance some of the 'motor assisted bicycles' posted in this thread are to my eye simply small motor bikes, not bicycles. They don't even have pedals so how could you call them bicycles? ... Probably just jealously on my part because the rules in the UK are so tight!
Hi Steve
Look closer at the photos and you will see that the only bike without pedals is my Indian
And im quite sure one day someone will do some thing very stupid with one and they will revamp the laws for motor assisted bicycles
Until then im making the best of it
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Old 04-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #23
chap1012
F-111, Korat RTAFB

Send a message via Yahoo to chap1012
Friends: (1)

Hello All, I'm just making a quick post an hopefully I'll be subscribed to this thread. Hank is quite a craftsman and I'd like to follow and see how his bike turns out.

I wish you the best Hank. Good luck my Friend

Mike.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #24
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Talking

Originally Posted by chap1012 View Post
Hello All, I'm just making a quick post an hopefully I'll be subscribed to this thread. Hank is quite a craftsman and I'd like to follow and see how his bike turns out.

I wish you the best Hank. Good luck my Friend

Mike.
Hi Mike
Thanks for the vote of confidence
Awaiting the parts and will start the build soon
Will post updates as they arrive
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat