Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Simon

Friends: (1)
Default $100 Scratch build: Micro Slow Stick

Having built and flown a Micro SSX as my first plane, it seemed that both my building and my flying skills could do with a little honing. With that in mind and the shape and size of the Micro Slow Stick still appealing, I've decided to try again - albeit with another couple of inches of wingspan and a channel less to fuss with. I also thought it prudent to at least try flying a model with some dihedral in a bid for some more relaxed flying.

To that end, I present to you the 26inch Slow-Stick. Construction is to be hardwood, balsa and tissue (still getting the hang of foam).

Here's a few pics to get started with.

I also have to thank John (jungmann1), as it was the pictures in his build thread that gave me the impetus to try making a curved vert stab and rudder using the laminating technique. I'd only ever been familiar with the soak, bend and pin method for laminations. John showed me that I could just make formers and then bend the wet strips around them - genius!
I also 'cheated' a bit here, knowing that CA needs water to set - and that the laminations still had more moisture in them than I cared for - I mean, I had waited at least 10 minutes since removing them from the water - how 3 second CA spoils us!
So I did what any impatient person would do - I CA'd the laminations while still damp. This naturally made the laminations pull towards the side that was glued - no matter, judicious application of more CA to the opposite side neutralized this pull and left the form once again flat.

Finding that the wing of Micro SSX was pretty darn tough, I decided to make this wing a somewhat lighter construction. This time I skipped hardwood spars - instead opting for 2.5x5mm balsa. I was also rather economical with my use of ribs - using 10 instead of 12. I also chose to forgo the spar near the leading edge. The LE, TE, main-spar and main-spar reinforcing spars are all cut from 2.5mm stock, with the ribs, tips and tip gussets cut from 1.5mm stock. In my haste and eagerness I forgot all about the dihedral brace . In a bid to keep the wing together, I wrapped the two central spars together with some fiberglass cloth before gluing into place. In retrospect, it would have been a good idea to wrap over the top also - as it stands, the wing should be nice and tough right-way-up, though I may find myself neck-deep in trouble if I try to fly inverted. Oh well, at least the wing's light - 26gms covered and painted with 2 coats of dope.

Hmm, breakfast time.
Simon.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	456.4 KB
ID:	146385 Assembling the right wing

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	146386 The two wing halves

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	146387 Tail-plane dry-fit

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	146388 Aww, Micro SSX gets a big sister

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	146389 Covered and ready to be shrunk
Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
oimmuk
Monkey Minion

Friends: (4)

Nice Build, can't wait for more...

Oimmuk
The Hopeful
Monkey Minion
What makes a man a man? A friend of mine once wondered. Is it his origins? The way he comes to life? I don't think so. It's the choices he makes. Not how he starts things, but how he decides to end them.
John Myer~Hellboy 2004
Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Simon

Okay, sure.

A couple of happy-snaps from the covering process.

Can anybody tell me if they've seen this kind of finish before - I think I'm not thinning the 'dope' enough before I apply it, though am really not too sure.

Last time I used white dope, while this time it is a drag green colour, can't help but wonder if it's the fact it's not dead-clear, or if it's a result of the thickness of the dope before I painted it on.

I tried painting some of the most affected bays with plain acetone, rinsing the brush 3 or 4 times over the course of each bay. This seems to have improved the look, though not sure if I'm rinsing off more than I'm massaging in - hope it doesn't make it too weak.

Cheers, Simon

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	146390 bottom covered

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	146391 preparing to cover top

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	146392 whole wing covered and ready to shrink

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	146393 Yeah baby, let's shrink

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	146394 Top Shrunk - Eek! Dope too thick?

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	146395 Bottom shrunk too.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
oimmuk
Monkey Minion

Been a LLLLLOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG time since I used dope, but the ribs look right for the shrinkage , not too sure what is causing the whitish...

Oimmuk
The Hopeful
Monkey Minion
What makes a man a man? A friend of mine once wondered. Is it his origins? The way he comes to life? I don't think so. It's the choices he makes. Not how he starts things, but how he decides to end them.
John Myer~Hellboy 2004
Old 04-12-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
Simon

Lightbulb

Solved that little mystery...

It seems I'd put the dope on a little thick. I wiped the excess off with an acetone soaked tissue and it seems to look pretty okay to me.
Finished up most of the mounting hardware too - just need to machine/bend up a motor mount.

S

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	146401 Ahhhh.. That's better.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:45 AM   #6
hillbillynamedpossum
Rode the short bus

View hillbillynamedpossum's Gallery5
Club: Is under the seat
Friends: (8)

Simon,

This might help you some.. http://www.youtube.com/user/hillbill...4BE5503C72602B

This is my first attempt at editing, so bear with the vid

Possum

Founder, Chief Builder, Head Designer, an Lead Test Pilot of Possum Holler Aircraft Company. (A made up company that transforms styrofoam into packing peanuts, and balsa wood into toothpicks)
Old 04-17-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Your plane is Looking great Simon, Nice video Possum on the dopeing, I used to buy the ready colored dope and use that, Looks like you have it down to a science Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
windy city

Simon,
Very nice plane! I like the concept, true stick and tissue.

Possum
WOW! Great videos!!!
Thanks for the dope on Dope (and tissue)

It's threads like these that make Wattflyer forums the best.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
Simon

Oh my goodness! Jeepers creepers, hooley dooley!!
Where oh where, oh where do I even begin to begin?!?
Perhaps the tale can unfold as did the fortnight -

What a couple of weeks it's been!! Managed to become unwell for 10 days with pain that that can only be described as diabolical. Wasn't really up to communicating or doing anything much more involved than breathing. Though at least it gave me some time to learn how to make FMS models. I've got an Ugly Stick that's nearly finished. It flies okay, but I still have to record a proper motor/engine sound for it and set the correct figures for all of the physical simulation stuff. Other than that - it's been a fun time playing with Blender, Python scripting (to make a Direct X(.x) model exporter that works properly) and FMS.

I finished off the motor mount and then saw your videos Possum, they're great. thank-you so much. Straight-away I can see that I'm using a brush that's about 1/8th the size of yours. My dope is also considerably thicker, that was the best 70 minutes or so I've spent in youtube for quite some time, kind sir.

Then a horrible thing happened - I saw xjet, ,aka Bruce Simpson, aka RCModel Reviews's vide on making a corflute biplane designed to run on a 0.049 cox nitro engine. Well, I've got a couple siting around and thought it could be a blast as the plane is touted as a $10, 20 minute build (minus electronics and slowing to give video instruction). At this point I'd never heard of this corflute stuff, or so I thought - I'd always known it naively as corrugated plastic. So I set out to find some of this wonderous building material.

I got some after a bit of a run around and managed to hack together a biplane following the plans I downloaded for Back-Yard Outdoor Bipe from: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1046798 I've hardly been able to stop watching the charger, sun and wind ever since!! I'm entirely hopeless!! I must have crashed this thing 20 times or more before I learn just (a) how much wind was too much and (b) how to fly something real, not simulated. I cannot believe how tough this plane is! I threw it down 5 or 6 meters from a pine tree like it was a stuck ball or Frisbee, I taped the wings back to the fuselage and kept flying, I pulled it back out of the chain-link fence and kept flying, I hit the ground doing full speed from 5meters up and just replaced the prop. INCREDIBLE. I'm hooked, I'm hooked, I'm hooked,

Sooo, I've made some control rods for Micro Slow Stick using some old brass, wedding-ring stock I had sitting around, as well as the motor mount.
In the meantime, flying the Bipe has taught me just how resilient the plastic is, and just how much more carefull I need to be with the stick/tissue ones.
To that end, I'm proceeding a little more slowly with Micros Slow Stick, preferring to fly my newest build that I started today - the originale: Das Ugly Stick.

I found some plans for a "1/8A LaStick", originally designed for a 0.010 or 0.020 cox motor (yup, an 010 - just 0.16-0.32cc!!) So, I've been cutting away at it for the day and will constuct and fly it before I maiden this bird (being built-up construction and appearing somewhat tougher).
Look forward to a thread shortly.

Here's a couple of happy snaps.
Many thanks for all of the warm advice and tips. I need to find an RC anonymous meeting now.

Oh, and the video of the best $48 or $49 I ever did spend!!
If it's not available yet - they may still be processing it.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Best regards to all,
Simon

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img001.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	147411

Name:	img002.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	147412

Name:	img003.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	147413

Name:	img004.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	147414

Name:	img007.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	147415

Name:	img008.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	147416

Name:	img009.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	147417
Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #10
hillbillynamedpossum
Rode the short bus

Simon,

You are quite welcome for the vids. By no means am I an expert at doping, but I have learned the hard (expensive) way how not to do it.

I love the home made stick mount...very sharp. I also dig the slip roll and sizeing die setup......not just everyone has tools like that gathering dust. What exactly is your occupation?

Sorry to hear about your health troubles. Hope you stay shed of illness, sounds like you have another plane to build!

Possum

Founder, Chief Builder, Head Designer, an Lead Test Pilot of Possum Holler Aircraft Company. (A made up company that transforms styrofoam into packing peanuts, and balsa wood into toothpicks)
Old 04-30-2011, 04:26 AM   #11
hillbillynamedpossum
Rode the short bus

Just wanted to remind ya the contest will end soon. The build must be completed and flown by 8 May 2011. Thats not a lot of time and were all getting busy!

Possum

Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #12
hillbillynamedpossum
Rode the short bus

Im gonna put off setting up the voting poll until this weekend. Everyone get your price lists current if you want to be in the voting. I only saw 4 entries that had their price/material/source list posted. I didnt specify it in the rules, but Id prefer your price list to be on the first post. If you dont know how to edit your posts, PM me and Ill try to walk you thru it.

Possum

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft