Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Night Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Night Flying Discuss night time aircraft illumination, methods and equipment.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)
Default Night Flying Flyzone 350 Cessan Corvalis Out Of The Box

The Flyzone Corvalis, low wing but gentle flyer, will put you into the Night Flying World right out of the box. Its bright from the front, so use well lit empty parking lots for complete darkness flying. Great dusk flyer anywhere. Can't give this one enough stars, flown beautifully for me countless flights now, and enjoy the Nocturnal ventures. Even more of a suprise is the floating landings, near glider like with the long wings. Now seldom use the flaps, but are there for even slower passes and gentle touchdowns, nose and landing gear are beefier than many of my other models of this type, take reasonal abuse. Go easy on night flying if your completely new than gradually work up to level of darknes you flying skill permits, you want a gentle flyer at the start, and this puppie is certainly one of those and then some. Best plane Flyzone put out yet, its terrific.

Short clip of a complete darkness pass, is going downwind and reason for some speed. Even note the Moon glowing in the upper right cornor and reflection of the pass from the top of my hood, pops into view in the video from top center, but eye was quite visible due to again the well lit parking lot, video doesn't pick this up, reason can fly with lights mostly visible only from front, but whew, impressive. Love It !

Old 04-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

When your other flying friends start to pack things in as dusk darkens the skys, I say, nope not dark enough, wait a few more minutes for a nice Night Flight....
Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi Phillip
Cool, very nice
Congratulations on getting one
May she bring you much enjoyment in the years to come
Thanks ever so much for sharing that with us
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Here's one of the reason this puppie has survived some of the abusive landings, more on my first flights as skipped in more than once on less than a soft landing. With its extended wings and optional use of flaps even more gentle. But even so things can happen, drop during gusts etc, this one will hold up better than many other models of its type, they did use some reinforcement on the landing gear, wish others would do the same as have more than a few with flimsy wired wheels, course can replace, but should be this way out of the box, Thank You Flyzone, well done...

Take a peek, no its not indestrucable but will hold up to reasonable quite well..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNiz0v4_IzU

Perhaps something to watch for on your next value purchase...
Old 08-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Dang possibly my esc is goiing out as the plane shuts down prior to take off, glad it didn't happern airborne. Once I find the delema back to the night sky, love it.

Apoligize listing this here but is a new night sky comet, Garradd just reaching visibility, yet to catch this one myself but tonight is near deep sky messier 15 great location tio see it, rising late tonight after 11 PM below Cygnus the Swan, do have a quick clip those intrested, Swan is big about between your arms pointing out infront of you a cross on its side, a neat small kite to the rigght and below to make sure your in the right area, drift down futher space of the wings and your in buisness, hoep the weather permits as moon growing.

Where to look tonight !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdqNI4gKTbo
Old 08-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Bright dusk flight tho darker than video shows as picks up more light, what makes this flyer gifted for this is its unbelieveable smooth landings and tight turning necessary for me at my other favored location with rather well light empty parking lot as to keep it in visual ranges. Did replace an esc, likely most of my issue with its shutting down. Lights are quite bright on the approaches, ready for more fun. Later flew with much tighter turns and a lot lower as again required at my other location in total darkness, what a rush..

Here's the brighter dusk flights, other planes were being put away, the Corvalis makes it repaird debu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFv1yM12b9c
Old 08-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Made a hard skip laning, not the usual, but managed to kill the rudder and nose wheel servo, simple replacement and all is well.

My darn memory card filled and missed the end of the flight as landing was right at the cameramans feet, even had to turn the wing to make sure I wasnt too close, gads my best video but here's an intro of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsmd9MHZOks

Perhaps not the norm but here's a clip on my binoculars using for the recent comet Garradd, just becoming visible, tho skys here are alarmingly cloudy lately, but Garradd Comet will be around for sometime. Also check out my locator posted above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZrFG09WmRM

Did fly the Corvalis successfully this morning on a near night flight, touch of glue on the bottom wings for reinforcement and now looks spectacular doing night aileron rolls, perhaps catch a video later, very cool
Old 05-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Last did a bad ding on early dark twilight with winds, it's being repaired, kept watching and found a super price on a new one dent sale small top piece missing on rudder half price, wow.

Continues to be my best flyer, did a early dawn flight this morning, near zero winds, infact that's what's great on night or dusk flights winds often low for stable fun.

Still no added lights just keep it reasonably close, amazing model for me.

Once your familiar to its gentle handling with extended wings, don't rush the landing, just keep things level, watch the speed, lower nose slightly to keep things flying, often results the gentle touch landings, fly an area with enough room for gliding in, overshoot just power up for another try, no excuses, this puppie gives you plenty of time for any corrections. Absolutely my easiest model to fly. Becomes amazingly predictable, take your time.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Just a note, saved over $100 on dent sale, simply small notch on top of rudder damage, zero effect on handling , came with Lipo and receiver at $93, dusk flew early today, great.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Heck of a deal!! How come that never happens to me??? Good Flying to ya!

cr
Old 05-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

And found a RTF Sensi trainer in the $80 figure, another dent tail sale, check the Scratch And Dent sales.

Flew the Corvalis early this morning, love it's easy landings. Had to step aside as shoe top stop, what a honey. Please this is a pavement lander as small wheels, but beefy compared to my other models, nice design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNiz0...e_gdata_player

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Night Flying