Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
KenSue

Friends: (0)
Default Motor Mount, and Prop Size questions?

I cut an RC Powers Extra 300 out of 1/2" blue core from Lowes. Does anyone know a good way to build a motor mount that will fit an E-Flite 400, and how to mount the mount to the foam?

Any ideas on prop size?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Hi, Here is a thread on how to mount motors, there are a few ways to mount your motor, you can cut out a round plywood mount from 3/16 to 1/4" plywood to fit a X Mount, or you can glue in a 3/8" X 3/8" X 2" basswood stick for a stick mount. with the stick mount, make sure that the screws from the mount to the motor dont go to far into the motor and touch the windings. if the stick mount fits the stick loose, wrap the stick with a little masking tape, and soak it with some thin CA, let dry Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39483

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2707270...=263602_309572

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
KenSue

Default Thanks

Thanks again Chellie for the info.

So, how do I attach the mount to the foam? Everything I think of sounds like it might pull out of the foam, and I have not seen one up close to know.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Hi KenSue use 5 min Epoxy to glue the the round plywood flat or stick to the foam, cut a slot for the stick mount in the foam and brace it with thin ply or foam, on the round ply motor mount, you can add some triangle foam on the back side for more support it you want. here are some pics to give you some ideas, mount you motor on the stick mount and lay it along side your plane and cut the foam as needed so it will fit, get the motor shaft in the middle of the plane, and add about 3 degrees of down thrust to the motor, no right or left thrust should be needed on a profile foamie, hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.coastalplanes.com/articles/3dx/3dx.htm

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
KenSue

Default Thank You

Again, thank you. You have been very helpful. This is my first foamie, and I just needed to see the actual process of how to mount the motor. I think I'll go with the plywood style for my first try.

What do you think about prop size? The plane will weigh about 10 ounces. I'm running an e-flite 400 (740kv) motor (if I can get it to run after that last crash with a different plane).

Maybe you could help with the motor too. I think the shaft is bent. It runs fine with no prop attached. But, as soon as I tighten a prop it squeals and tries to spin in both directions (effectively just bouncing back and forth). What do you think?

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare shaft right now to check it. But one is on order.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by KenSue View Post
Again, thank you. You have been very helpful. This is my first foamie, and I just needed to see the actual process of how to mount the motor. I think I'll go with the plywood style for my first try.

What do you think about prop size? The plane will weigh about 10 ounces. I'm running an e-flite 400 (740kv) motor (if I can get it to run after that last crash with a different plane).

Maybe you could help with the motor too. I think the shaft is bent. It runs fine with no prop attached. But, as soon as I tighten a prop it squeals and tries to spin in both directions (effectively just bouncing back and forth). What do you think?

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare shaft right now to check it. But one is on order.
Hi Motors are cheap, dont even try to fix your motor just toss it away here is a motor from heads up Rc, there is a prop chart with this motor, i think a 7x6 or 8x6 should be fine for your plane, heads up Rc only charges $2.00 for shipping and Jeff ships fast too, Tell Jeff that Chellie sent you Take care, Chellie

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies