Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
siansoft

Friends: (0)
Question Propeller Size 3 Blades and 2 Blades

Hi all

I have a motor KV = 560 and requierd propeller 15 x 8 2 blades it's look to big on my plane so I am looking to change the propeller to 3 blades propller to look smaller
What is the size of 3 blades propller I can use to my motor? and is it better to use 3 blades or 2 blades with KV 560 motors? and what is the diffrent between 3 blades and 2 blades?

Thank You All
Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

The general rule is when changing from 2 blades to 3 you reduce the diameter by 10% and leave the pitch alone. So a 15x8x2 would be 13.5x8x3. That will give you effectively the same load on the motor.

2 blade props are generally slightly more efficient than 3 blades but at the size/power you're using it will make very little practical difference.

Of course if you just want a smaller prop but the same power another way of acheiving it is to use a battery with more cells. More cells, more revs, smaller prop.

Steve
Old 04-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
siansoft

Friends: (0)
Question

Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
The general rule is when changing from 2 blades to 3 you reduce the diameter by 10% and leave the pitch alone. So a 15x8x2 would be 13.5x8x3. That will give you effectively the same load on the motor.

2 blade props are generally slightly more efficient than 3 blades but at the size/power you're using it will make very little practical difference.

Of course if you just want a smaller prop but the same power another way of acheiving it is to use a battery with more cells. More cells, more revs, smaller prop.

Steve
My battery is 4 cells and the prop that I use now is 12x10x2 but when use this prop my motor ,ECS 80A and the battery is getting heated too much because I think the
problem is the size of the prop and i can't increase the prop size to 15x8x2 this is the motor manufacture requirement because it will touch the ground that why I decide to use 3 blades prop so do I have to increase the battery volte to make the motor and all my electric to reduce the heat?
Old 04-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

If your motor, ESC and battery are overheating on a 4S pack and 12x10 prop then a bigger prop or more volts will just make it all MUCH WORSE !

It would help if you gave some details of what motor you're talking about (we're not very good at mind-reading ). For now I'll just guess that the manufacturer probably intended the 15x8 prop to be use with a 3S battery NOT 4S.

Steve

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners