Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-23-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)
Default Nitroplanes Dynam C-47 Twin Engine Maiden Success

Horrible Weather with winds and rain recently, but before 7PM winds down to 11 MPH and less with very light drizzle. Just put this one together and anxious to see how it handled.

Its the Nitroplanes Dynam C-47 Twin Engine Transporter, rather good detail on this one, was relatively easy assembly. Do glue the tail surfaces and even wing haves together then insert a rod for strength in the main wings. Comes in a complete RTF package with everything even 2200 Lipo Battery, nice.

Quickly popped on a few of its decals and actually looks rather decent. Dubious as has a free floating tail wheel, so its a taildragger with elevator, rudder, and ailerons. Twin Engines give plenty of power, very cool.

Checked out the youtube and looked like it would lift quickly so wasn't too concerned on the zero control on the tail wheel as plenty of rudder surface.

I don't foot a taildragger and it paid off the free tail wheel lifted up immediately and it took an almost startling leap into the air near 2/3rds throttle, short distance went straight as an arrow, power take off prevented ground looping or other bad habits. Drizzle was picking up so I simply made a large circle and came in right away, deadstick not quite here, did lose altitude on approach as I wanted but wasn't flying, so eased in light throttle for speed, then finished near deadstick with breeze going made for fairly decent landing, dropped in ever so slightly but decent enough for a good touchdown.

Was very impressed with its quick take off, the ailerons behaved as expected, and again the twin engines will give more than enough fun on future flights with this one.

Hopefully will later get a youtube on its responsive lift off from the pavement, excellent.

Flown right out of the box, balanced on the money with inserted battery, like its heavy front wheels, should survive reasonable thumpy landings. See how this beauty holds up in future flights...

$149 RTF, Transmitter, Charger, Battery, it is complete.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-8931-...n-rtf-24g.html

Only Con
Some reason have this loose tail wheel, but could later supply servo, has enough rudder to make a straight line take off

If you've flown tail draggers and most any low wing this one will be a piece of cake for you.

Its twin engines, wide fuselage, plenty of wingspan around 57 inch, makes for decent flyer, not quite deadstick, so leave some battery life for landing, twin engine flight times perhaps near 6 minutes or less, but low throttle might tad abit more, but again save it for landing .
Old 04-23-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

No this isn't quite a beginner ship, as ailerons and low wing, but if ever wanted to check out a twin engine, this might be it. Reasonably priced, and looks great, especially in the air, very scale like indeed.

With its quick lift off an excellent school yard or baseball size field flyer, with practice even land it in the infield, but I'll give it abit more room, hah...
Old 04-23-2011, 03:30 AM   #3
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Was able to youtube the finished assembly, was again releatively easy to put together. Two neat features, removeable lower portion on the motor to allow plugging in the ESC and they hold by strong magnets, also a long bottom wing slot like fitting under the main wing to cover the assembled wires on both motors as well as the ailerons wire, but can remove for easy access.

Again the larger front wheels I like, and its large Cigar Shape Fuselage makes for a nice scale visual inflight, tho brief flight, handled easily.

The Assembled C-47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsAMTOtyn3k
Old 04-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
Wrongway-Feldman

I've had one for about 3 months now and love flying it. It handles in a very smooth and predictable fashion and the sound from the twin props sound great on a low fly by.
You'll find it can quickly become your favorite plane to fly.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Thank you for the info, I was impressed by some of the youtube reviews. Always enjoy the models with abit of wing span which this one certainly has, but yet its compact enough to throw in the back of my car.

Even my brief maiden was quite impressed, terrificly quick lift off. It made smooth aileron turns, and landing not bad, tho doesn't glide completely but after all is a warbird, hah.

Nice to hear you are enjoying yours. Must admit first time I've experienced a tail dragger with a free floating rear wheel, but it handles so well with rudder, still makes a straight take off.

Believe the winds are down and if it isn't raining hope to fly early this morning before work.

I do really like this one, but have to admit the Flyzone Corvalis handles a tad better with a longe glide and its added lights for night flight, not complaining here at all, again for a Warbird, this one is an easy flyer indeed. Twin Engines, excellent.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Was near calm when I left to fly but just few blocks to the vacant lot and dang winds came out of nowhere, gusts, well over 15 to perhaps 20 MPH or more at short bursts, but settled inbetween so managed to get a short clip on its quick lift off. Builiding winds blew it under my car by the time I made the video clip, I turned it abit to the side for visual tho wind coming from the right. Take off was great as expected, failed on the low pass with gusts, so wait till better conditions. Won't be able to upload till very late tonight as going to work.

It did drop pointing down as I turned off the cam, just intime managed to pull it back up before any misshaps, mostly due to the higher winds this morning, lucky...hah..

With the winds shifting etc took two attempts on the landing, kept low power coming in, still wanted to nose up just prior to contact, so a few foot skippy landing, but wheels held fine and down safely, whew...

Note my camera was turned away from the strong winds by the time I landed, fortunate the camera didn't blow off the car, gads...
Old 04-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
earthsciteach

Thanks for the info. The C-47 is one of those legendary airplanes-sort of the Piper Cub of transportation aviation. Would love to have one in my stable!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

This one certainly has alot of early history, it is a solid flyer for a warbird, and looks cool...

For a warbird this puppie so far flys very well, its again not a newbie plane by anymeans, but so far even with brief flights enjoy its smooth handling, but thats from my past experience flying low wing models. I was extremely fortunate not to lose this one in gusty morning flight, but somehow managed an unscathed landing. Take off is supreme, but my technique is to go heavy on the throttle immediately with most tail draggers, else they easily ground loop, or nasty turns on pavement.

I manged a youtube on its quick take off, not the video I wanted, dang thing blew out of view infront of my car with so much gusting, but can still see its authority lift off is right away even turned it only a few feet using rudder only no tail wheel as swivels free, but an easy one to take off....Will be late to upload as slow hookup.

See how long I can keep this one in one piece, hah...
Old 04-24-2011, 05:17 AM   #9
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Made a much better video this evening on the C-47 rather quick take off, does have a touch of speed, very fun flyer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnaBuuEQvoA
Old 04-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

On last nights landing was not without issue, failed to give it the correct throttle and props hit the pavement, did shear one blade, but back together, fortunately had a Dynam with same prop and motor for a very easy fix, so no it doesn't land by itself. But its handling in the air is great. Will give more throttles next flights on the landings.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Congrats on the Maiden flight the plane looks great in the air. Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Thank you, really does look coool inflight, and handling is fine again for a Warbird, slight issues on the landings, I'm use to more deadsticking and this one needs power to land correctly. But in the air its fantastic. Batterys drain rather quickly with dual engines going on so have extra batteries..Hah

Newbie you would ground loop this one on the pavement, needs 3/4 throttle for straight take off, swiveling rear wheel is unusual for me but it rudders fine. Then its the landing, I can deadstick a Stryker with ease but it does have wide wings, not this puppie, you will need some throttle management, I hit it near on the money my 3rd flight as no skip, but was a two wheel touchdown with even the light breezes and settled smoothly, then did a nasty turn near the stop, so will next time apply early rudder prior to its reduced stop. Other than that its a honey...
Old 04-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Only flown this puppie about 4 times as wait for exceptional weather conditions, really looks nice inflight. Flight was this morning as breezes down to 4 MPH and rare sunny day. My parking lot was active so went to a wide side road. Winds at that time from the south, faced into the breeze and up she goes, just over half throttle behaves well on a straight take off, kept it over half throttle and let her cruise, gained altitude had to down stick slightly. Holds level flight very well, have the response setting on the RTF model dialed down and no over control at all, silky smooth flight. Amusing a real airplane was overhead and obviously caught the visual on my model plane, it quickly dropped down for another look as he passed right over me. Dang, didn't recognize the airplane but bigger than the normal cessna, very cool. The C-47 looks like an impressive wide cabin green cigar and near scale like inflight, delight to fly this one. My landing was uneventful, left some low power on and it smoothly dropped, but cut throttle abit too soon and it did a light skip than on the money for a nice touchdown, some reason did a near snap turn near the stop, was going to be ready for that as did it the few other flights needs opposite rudder, else its a very nice handling ship, especially for a warbird.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC
Friends: (2)

I have one of those bad boys. It has enough power to fly, but lord help you if you get into trouble. I swapped motors in mine and what a difference. I installed to 400 outrunners & 50amp escs from Jeff at heads up. I use 8 X 6 Master Airscrew 3 blade props counter rotating. I use a Blue Lipo 3s1p 5000. I also made the tailwheel steerable. I also put bigger wheels on it for my rough grass runway. I'm going to get another airframe and modify it into a Basler Turbo Prop Conversion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Basler-BT-67-DC-3-C-FMKB-operated-by-Kenn-Borek-Air-Ltd.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	147563

Old 04-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
constantCrash
prefectionist

Send a message via AIM to constantCrash
Friends: (3)

A friend has this plane, He let me take it for a flight... Shouldn't have. I let it get to slow and she tipstalled without ANY warning. Nosed in from about 30 feet up. Squished the nose 1/2", ripped the wing a little bit and broke a cowl.

I should have listened better when he said to keep the speed up. So, moral of the story, KEEP THE SPEED UP. I'm an OKAY flyer, I haven't had a crash in over a year, and this plane took me by surprise. I did a decent scale takeoff, let it get some altitude, did a couple of laps to trim it out for hands off flight, then tried to slow down for some scale flight. It "felt" fine at the speed I was flying ~1/2 throttle and all of a sudden the left wingtip dropped and she went straight down. I hit full throttle but did not have enough altitude to speed up and pull out.

Worst feeling ever to crash a friends plane.

I wanna be a pirate. Arrrrr

AMA - 885997
Old 04-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #16
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

That is why I souped mine up. The same thing happened and it didn't have enough power to pull out of it. Now she go straight up.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #17
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

This ship does need some throttle to fly correctly, but not much over 1/2 on mine, altitude is your friend if you lose power, unfortunately too low and it simply won't respond, had this already happen to my 310 Sky King model, too low and down she goes. Airframe on that one tho is intact, perhaps will zoop it up abit. On the C-47 I'll have fun with mine out of the box for awhile then decide if I do any upgrades. Its defintely a beauty inflight, nothing like it...save power for the landing, hah. Handling is great inflight, better than some of my other warbirds...
Old 04-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Watch out for the stock ESC's, they are easy to break where the motor plugs in. The female connectors are soldered to the PC board, and it is a weak point. Don't ask how I know . I'm trying to figure out how to install some retracts. There isn't much difference in size than the old Tower Hobbies DC-3. I love Gooney Birds, My uncle used to fly them, to spray for Mosquitos in the Everglades and Florida Keys in the 60's & 70's. If you think about it, there is no place on earth that the DC-3 Hasn't been, and hauled people or freight to. I red somewhere that there has never been a crash of a DC-3 because of airframe failure. I wish I had the room, I would love to have a Giant Scale DC-3. I also have a soft spot for the Beech 18, Cessna Skymaster. I love twins. I'm the only one at my club whom messes with them. The only thing a glow engine on a twin is worth, is to trade for some electric goodies. Oh I didn't mean to start rambling.

Happy Flying: Johnny
Old 04-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #19
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Nothing wrong with more input, models sound great. And tnx for the ESC caution. Im sometimes not that careful on my flights, hope this one makes it for more outings, trying to hold off for the better conditions.

On the DC3 use to have Ozark Airlines at our local mini airport and exactly the types flown, by the way had one of the best safety record even tho vintage planes.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners