Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)
Default Advice regarding a scatch build micro flier

Looking for some guidance from those far more knowledgeable and experienced than me! I am about to begin building my first scratch-built, a micro flier. My first thought is to purchase the same motor, gearbox and electronics that are in the Parkzone UM P-51 and F4U. When I total up the cost, for $10 more I could just buy one of those RTF planes (although that misses the point of building my own entirely). The receiver is the biggest chunk of change at $59.99, but has 2 servos and the esc built in.

Now, my knowledge level of this whole RC thing is very low. Only been in this hobby for about 3 weeks with my HZ Super Cub. Its already consuming my thoughts and my wife is starting to give my airplane funny looks!

Is there a way I can build this less expensively? Are there better options for micro flier motors, receivers and speed controllers?

Thank you all for the great advice I have gotten so far from folks on Wattflyer!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
hankg

Friends: (1)

earth,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5358

How heavy is your micro going to be? Hobbycity has some very small components at decent prices... www.hobbycity.com.

Regards,

Hankg
Old 04-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
Ah one of my favorite classes of aircraft
Check out these sites
http://www.aeronutz.flyer.co.uk/
http://smallflyingarts.com/
http://www.indoorflyingmodel.com/
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/
http://www.indoorflyer.co.uk/
http://www.microflight.com/
http://aerofred.com/
Sure you will find something of interest
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 04-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
earthsciteach

Thanks, guys. I am estimating the plane will come in somewhere between 40-50 grams. That is primarily based on using similar wingspan and length as the Parkzone ultra-micros with same or similar motor/electronics.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
hankg

Friends: (1)

earth,

Way to light for me to speak intelligently about ...some of those sites the "Master Chief" layed out sure do look interesting though!

Regards,

Hankg
Old 04-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
earthsciteach

Those sites are very nice. Just checking them out now while my Super Cub battery recharges. Its a beautiful day for flying in south central PA!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Talking

Hi
I do love my micro aircraft, heres a few of mine
Do enjoy
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 04-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
earthsciteach

Nice planes, Hank! Here are the plans I drew up to make templates to hot wire cut the foam to rough shape for my micro. Then, it'll be sand, sand, sand...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	micro flier.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	147264 Plans for my first scratch-build
Old 04-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Talking

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Nice planes, Hank! Here are the plans I drew up to make templates to hot wire cut the foam to rough shape for my micro. Then, it'll be sand, sand, sand...
Hi
Thanks
Your plans look wonderful
If there any thing i can do to help just holler
Cant wait to see more
Take care
Yours Hank

Old 04-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
earthsciteach

I will definitely take you up on that, Hank. This is one of those things where one questions leads to three more! I'm having fun with it, though! Can't wait to start putting this plane together!

Are there materials commonly used to cover or coat the foam for added strength? I don't think the fiberglass fabric/epoxy route that the homebuilders use would be viable on this small scale. I wonder how the epoxy used on flyrods would work out. It is very flexible, yet strong. It would obviously have to be a thin coating to keep weight down. Finding the right material will result in a very durable plane. I'm sure I'm going to be bouncing it off of bleachers, basketball hoops, walls, students (selectively and intentionally)...
Old 04-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

I will definitely take you up on that, Hank. This is one of those things where one questions leads to three more! I'm having fun with it, though! Can't wait to start putting this plane together!

Are there materials commonly used to cover or coat the foam for added strength? I don't think the fiberglass fabric/epoxy route that the homebuilders use would be viable on this small scale. I wonder how the epoxy used on flyrods would work out. It is very flexible, yet strong. It would obviously have to be a thin coating to keep weight down. Finding the right material will result in a very durable plane. I'm sure I'm going to be bouncing it off of bleachers, basketball hoops, walls, students (selectively and intentionally)...
Hi
I mainly use packing tape to add strength, clear or colored if i want to snazz up the aircrafts looks
Ive also used thined epoxy or watered down elmers white glue applied to the foam
Take care
Yours Hank

Old 04-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
Slowjohn
You can bury me after I'm done flying

Club: Just Some Friends
Awards Showcase

1kW  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (28)

I've used the fabric softener dryer sheets after they've been used and Water Based Polyurethane (WBPU) with decent results. My next project will use KILZ which sands a whole lot easier. It doesn't attack the foam either
That being said I must say that what I used the above process on was not a small Micro plane such as your building. You have to keep your weight down every where possible on those Micro planes.

Standing By,
SJ

Blue Skies, Calm Breezes & A Full Hanger
Makes Me A Very Happy Man
Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
Dereck
Super Contributor

Friends: (0)

Looking for some guidance from those far more knowledgeable and experienced than me! I am about to begin building my first scratch-built, a micro flier. My first thought is to purchase the same motor, gearbox and electronics that are in the Parkzone UM P-51 and F4U. When I total up the cost, for $10 more I could just buy one of those RTF planes (although that misses the point of building my own entirely). The receiver is the biggest chunk of change at $59.99, but has 2 servos and the esc built in.

Now, my knowledge level of this whole RC thing is very low. Only been in this hobby for about 3 weeks with my HZ Super Cub. Its already consuming my thoughts and my wife is starting to give my airplane funny looks!

Is there a way I can build this less expensively? Are there better options for micro flier motors, receivers and speed controllers?

Thank you all for the great advice I have gotten so far from folks on Wattflyer!
First piece of advice, at the usual internet rate is to get out there and practice lots and lots with your Cub. When you get down to true micro-models, flying is not of the nature where you can think about what it's doing that you'd rather not. It happens too fast for such luxury, so you need to have plenty of time in.

The quandary of buying a ready-made model vs the RC gear and doing your own thing around it? For once, I'd come down firmly on the side of buying a model. It will arrive with everything fitted and working (or, if you go for some cheaply done rip-off from you know where, possibly with everything working...)

Before I moved, I hung out with a Chapter of the 'Flying Aces'. Most of these folk have built tiny, ultra-light rubber powered free flight scale models for ever, but many have realised that (A) electric power is as quiet, (B) fitting RC means you don't have to walk downwind every flight to pick up your model, and (C) when you fly indoors, you can avoid hitting things when you can control your model. Like walls, ceilings etc...

Several of those guys have become very accomplished at what you're aiming for - and a surprising percentage have never bothered with RC until now either. Most of them would tell you to go buy a model you fancy, fly that some, then dismantle it and re-house the radio and motor stuff. One of the best known of the 'DC Maxecuters' is Stew Myers, who writes a column on this sort of model in 'Flying Models' magazine. Their club website is at: http://www.dcmaxecuter.org/

Flying Models is about the only paper magazine that really covers aeromodelling in its entirety these days, though there's lots of good info online about what you're aiming for. Here's one, to get you started:
http://www.bartonhewsons.me.uk/home/...or/indoor.html

There's much out there, though sometimes it takes a little more digging than more modern slanted sites.

On equipment. There's a saying that goes so far back in electric flight no-one seems to know from when. It goes - 'Buy Cheap, buy twice'.

While my wife sometimes accuses me of being inherently tight, when you get to where some folk will proudly tell you they bought six servos for $2.00 each because they know that maybe four will work, that's too far. You are also in a position where you may have questions about the gear you've bought. It would be nice to be able to call somewhere in the US where they can help you out and are happy and able to do so.

If you buy cheap junk direct from China and it doesn't work on arrival, all you can do is toss it out.

Good luck with your project

Dereck

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft