Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
HobbyJumper

Friends: (0)
Default Lipos - When they reach the end of life is it sudden?

I've been reading a lot about different brands of lipos and how long before they die for good but I would like to know in what manner do lipos in general die for good.
Is it sudden death -- as in, you get 10 minutes use from a battery, and then the next time you go to use it you get 10 seconds?

Or have you noticed getting 10 minutes, 9 minutes, 8, 7 6 etc.?

Does it make a different how many cells there are in pack, perhaps?

Thanks...pete
Old 04-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

I find that a properly cared for lipo pack will have a gradual drop off over time.
The only time you'll have a sudden death scenario is when a pack is damaged, over discharged, or improperly charged.
I still have a lipo pack from around 2003 or 4 that still works fine.
That being said, different manufacturers will have different life spans. A life span is generally defined as number of charge / discharge cycles.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
whitecrest

In my experience, they will gradually decline over time as noted above. This is especially noticeable if I compare a battery that has many cycles to a new one. After this gradual decline, the final demise comes fairly rapidly over a flight or two when the power level becomes barely adequate to sustain flight. Fortunately, I've never had a battery fail completely "open."

~Tim
Old 04-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Good advice so far.

But I have to ask - how are you timing your flight now?

Are you flying until they drop off in power or until you hit low voltage cut off?

If so - dont do that!! You will kill those packs way too soon flying them that long.

By the time most esc's signal an LVC or by the time the battery noticeably drops in power out, you have over discharged them and are killing them much faster than you need to.

Time your flights and stop flying well before they start to drop in power and well before they hit lvc. Make a note of how long you flew.

Then, put the pack back on the charger and make a second note of how many MAHR it took to re-charge the pack.

You want to limit your flying time so that you never have to put more than an 80% charge back in the pack. In other words, if your pack is a 2000 mahr pack, you never want to fly more than 1600 mahr out of it. If its a 300 mahr pack you never want to put more than 240 mahr back etc etc. Take what ever the size of your pack is now and multiply that times .8 to get the max number you want to see put back after charging.

If you follow that rule, your packs will last many many times longer than if you fly them all the way out to empty.

Flying them to empty can kill them in as little as one flight, so dont do that

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 04-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

View groundrushesup's Gallery45
Club: Hill Country Wattheads
Send a message via AIM to groundrushesup
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (20)

It's not like getting hit by a bus.

It's more like... well... have you ever seen Old Yeller?

Cheers,
GRU

Everybody's Somebody at The Hill Country Watthead's Thread!
Stop in and see what we're up to!

Visit Our Youtube Channel, too!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

The Lipos dont suffer for to long and then they are dead, R I P sometimes you will smell a Bubble Gum sent on them, dont Chew on them you will notice a power drop off and shorter flight time, some times they will start to puff up like a Dead Fish thats when its replacement time Hope All this TECH. Information was Useful Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-26-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
It's not like getting hit by a bus.

It's more like... well... have you ever seen Old Yeller?

Cheers,
GRU

Still the saddest movie of all time!!! lol
Old 04-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers

Club: Flying Gators MAC - Gainesville, FL
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (6)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
The Lipos dont suffer for to long and then they are dead, R I P sometimes you will smell a Bubble Gum sent on them, dont Chew on them you will notice a power drop off and shorter flight time, some times they will start to puff up like a Dead Fish thats when its replacement time Hope All this TECH. Information was Useful Take care and have fun, Chellie

But don't discard them simply because they have puffed a little. I have some going on 5 years, many cycles, that are quite puffed but still giving 80% of original capacity. The puffing is still a mystery as to exactly what causes it. Some packs start swelling very early with few cycles while others don't puff at all. These have been used under the same discharge and charge regimes.

Red S. AMA 951
The Battery Clinic
www.hangtimes.com/redsbatteryclinic.html
The older I get, the better I use to fly.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
HobbyJumper

Thanks for all the excellent feedback. My question is answered.

Not counting my first few weeks as an ignorant helicopter newb when I blissfully flew to empty, I time all my flights with a digital kitchen timer. That is, I set between 4 and 10 minutes depending on what's flying (nice and safe), and let it count down to the buzzer. Then I hie for home.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by HobbyJumper View Post
Thanks for all the excellent feedback. My question is answered.

Not counting my first few weeks as an ignorant helicopter newb when I blissfully flew to empty, I time all my flights with a digital kitchen timer. That is, I set between 4 and 10 minutes depending on what's flying (nice and safe), and let it count down to the buzzer. Then I hie for home.
I always fly with a digital timer, and never fly beyond 65% or so of battery capacity on my A123 cells. As for "How to kill a Lipo" or A123, take a look at chapter 14:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45222

I've now got a Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger that balances all cells WHILE charging. (You can watch the individual cell voltage during the charging process, and all cells are exactly the same voltage through the charging process. I think all Cellpro chargers as well as other high quality chargers work in the same way.)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 

Originally Posted by Red Scholefield View Post
But don't discard them simply because they have puffed a little. I have some going on 5 years, many cycles, that are quite puffed but still giving 80% of original capacity. The puffing is still a mystery as to exactly what causes it. Some packs start swelling very early with few cycles while others don't puff at all. These have been used under the same discharge and charge regimes.
Im very surprised you would endorse the use of puffed lipos.

Its well documented that once a lipos is puffed, its far more likely to go up in flames.

You are the first "name" in the battery field Ive ever heard say anything other than dispose of them immediately at the first sign of puffing.

Im curious why safety has lost out to $$ in your case?

Larry
Old 04-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #12
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

View Saddlebum's Gallery5
Friends: (2)

Its well documented that once a lipos is puffed, its far more likely to go up in flames.

Would you so kind as to cite your source for this statement?

Thanks... The Bum
Old 04-27-2011, 12:30 AM   #13
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

If you're looking for a scientific paper of some sort, then there is no single 'source' as such.

I was referring to the many years of reports logged here and on RCGroups, RCU etc.

Take a look at the sticky at the top of this forum. Search for puffed or ballooned. Seach the battery forum threads for those terms. Do the same on RCGroups, RCU etc.

You will quickly see that puffed or ballooned packs are very dangerous.

Also, if you have ever personally over charged a pack you know that the first thing a pack does on the way to catching fire is to puff up. I have done this many times.

If you have ever deliberately punctured a puffed pack you will also know that the gas is extremely flammable. I have also done this many times.

Back in the early days on RCgroups a fellow named RDBlakely and others - including myself - did a number of experiments that clearly demonstrated that puffed lipos went up in flames far earlier than non-puffed lipos.

You might also check the docs at Hyperion, Thunderpower etc to see if they say anything about puffing. i dont recall off hand if they do or not.

Thats as close to a source reference as i can get.

Larry
Old 04-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #14
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Im very surprised you would endorse the use of puffed lipos.

You are the first "name" in the battery field Ive ever heard say anything other than dispose of them immediately at the first sign of puffing.
That is probably because I am not selling batteries.

Red S. AMA 951
The Battery Clinic
Old 04-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #15
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Club: Falcons of Lake Dallas
Default More Rumors

Originally Posted by Larry3215 Im very surprised you would endorse the use of puffed lipos.

That is probably because I am not selling batteries.
I would have to agree with Red. In addition to the fact that I consider him an expert in this field, I too have used lipos that have puffed a little. I have been playing with lipos since way back when we were ripping them out of old cell phones. I would tend to say that it is more likely "well rumored" than well documented that once a lipo is puffed, it's far more likely to go up in flames! C'mon guys, if you're gonna spout this hearsay at least quote the source!

Ken
Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

I give up. You guys win. Puffed lipos are perfectly safe to use and charge to your hearts content. Go for it.

Its not worth the effort and time - yet again - trying to remind people who refuse to read or have no memory of past events and who refuse to apply simple logic.

Good luck guys. I sincerely hope you never need it.

Larry
Old 04-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

If you have ever deliberately punctured a puffed pack you will also know that the gas is extremely flammable. I have also done this many times.
Extremely flammable?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03513.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	147427
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03515.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	147428

Red S. AMA 951
The Battery Clinic
Old 04-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #18
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

View Saddlebum's Gallery5

I give up. You guys win. Puffed lipos are perfectly safe to use and charge to your hearts content. Go for it.

Its not worth the effort and time - yet again - trying to remind people who refuse to read or have no memory of past events and who refuse to apply simple logic.

Larry, we appreciate your bringing this to our attention but it appears this is not a black or white issue. There is lots of room for moderate discussion. Don't give up on us just yet.

...The Bum
Old 04-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #19
Taylorcraft_ASEL

Default Lipos - When they reach the end of life is it sudden?

C'mon Larry,

I don't think anyone here is advocating reckless and idiotic behavior. We've all heard these "so called" lipo horror stories so long that they are just getting tired and old. I have heard stories for years about cars and houses burning but have never seen it with my own eyes. I remember in the 60's, and 70's hearing about cars that caught fire from careless handling of glow fuel. Then when gassers became popular it was stories about gasoline handling. I contend that anything we handle can become dangerous if we allow it. I have handled lipos, glow fuel, and gasoline for almost 50 years and have never managed to burn anything down yet (if you don't count that time my cousin and I were playing behind the shed when we were 10!). All I'm saying here is let's just keep it all in perspective. Who knows, maybe we can even get Red to explain how NI-CD "memory" actually got started due to one bad batch of batteries that NASA purchased!!

Ken
Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

You know, Ive never been in a traffic accident and Ive been driving for 40+ years, so Im recommending everyone stop using seat belts and stop obeying speed limits. They are both obviously "so called" problems.

On a more serious note, Ive been through this debate too many times. Im tired of it. The evidence and reports are there for all to see. Make up your own minds - or not. Its up to you.

No amount of discussion makes any difference as far as I can tell. If you are so cheep you would rather risk burning down your house than dispose of a $10 puffed lipo, your going to dismiss any argument to the contrary.

Larry
Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #21
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

oops - I missed Red's post.

There, you can see for yourself. Puffed lipos are 100% safe to use and charge.

Red Scholefield certifies it in print.

Red, it might be interesting what a lawyer would do with that if one of these guys burns down his house

Larry
Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #22
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Extremely flammable?
that battery didnt look too puffy.......
the gas probably already disapated enough not to ignite, Flammable gas and Oxygen usually have to be around 6% before it would ignite.

Dunno, kind of a bad pic to be showing here on WF for newcomers like me. You could do the same thing with a thimble of gasoline 10 times and it wont ignite, then try it again for the 11th time....and you have no eyebrows. Seems kinda silly.

If you dont have the common sense to throw away even a $100 badly puffed battery, even 1 chance in 10,000 that if during charging, it starts a fire in my house, burns about 50,000 bucks of possessions in the process, its a no brainer.

You don't need to be scared of lipos, just respect them, just like gas, diesel, guns, WMD's, operating large equipment, making jokes about your ol' lady, .........................

I know everyone has an opinon, but this is getting................

have a good one
cr

just something to read......for new pilots....i guess

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=130372
Old 04-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #23
Taylorcraft_ASEL

G
You know, Ive never been in a traffic accident and Ive been driving for 40+ years, so Im recommending everyone stop using seat belts and stop obeying speed limits. They are both obviously "so called" problems.

On a more serious note, Ive been through this debate too many times. Im tired of it. The evidence and reports are there for all to see. Make up your own minds - or not. Its up to you.

No amount of discussion makes any difference as far as I can tell. If you are so cheep you would rather risk burning down your house than dispose of a $10 puffed lipo, your going to dismiss any argument to the contrary.
Larry
Sounds as if we are close in age. I too have been driving for over 40 years. I have also flown full size planes for 35 years and would not do either without wearing a seat belt or obeying posted rules. The difference is that there is substantiated and verified data supporting the dangers of not wearing seat belts and obeying traffic laws. I have yet to see specific data regarding the safety of lipo batteries. What I mean is data showing the number of batteries sold, number of accidents, results of the investigation, etc. You know...facts. What I read and hear on the forums is just hearsay. Sure there have been a couple of (photoshopped) pictures but they were not submitted by any agency of authority. When I see such data, I will react accordingly.

As to Reds credibility, I rate him as an expert. Fred Marks is another battery expert that basically the same. I have followed the advice of these men for many years and Have enjoyed absolute success.

Additionally, those pics posted by Red would be of little value in any litigation over a home that burned. I could capture thousands of posts from these forums showing just how "dangerous" these batteries are. After all, what would your testimony be if I were to put you on the stand? Can you see how silly this could get?

Ken
Old 04-28-2011, 01:48 AM   #24
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 

Extremely flammable?
Got a question on the photo with the slit Lipo and the match.

What would happen if the same were repeated, but a very high load, many times above the Lipo's maximum "C" rating?

Would this generate gasses that could ignite?

(I use A123's not Lipos, just curious if applying very heavy loads would change things with the match.)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:48 AM   #25
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Well Ken, I know of no "studies" as such, this is after all just a hobby and we are just playing with toys, so you are free to use or abuse your packs to your hearts content.

And yes, I did fake the tests I did on blowing up lipos. You caught me "red" handed. Im sure RD did the same on his tests. Im sure his and all the other hearsay reports are just as false as mine were.

Of course, the US postal service did instigate some silly regulations about flying with them on planes, but what the heck to they know. Lipos are perfectly safe - puffed or not. Must be some government conspiracy or something.

Larry

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers