Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)
Default Getting Back Into It

Thought I would start keeping a log here about my progress as I return to the hobby. Comments and suggestions are welcome, of course.

So far, I have 2 GWS Pico Moths that should be airworthy. Test flew one of them successfully the other day. Finished repairs on the other one today.

Also have my little - 35" WS Balsa Spitfire Ready to go. Might fly that tonight if the wind dies down some - am nervous about it though - confidence is gone. Will take some flying to get it back I am sure.

I really would rather avoid a steady progresion of crashed airplanes - tho some will crash as always.

Just finished repairing my Great Planes S.E.5a. Won't fly that until I get a few successful flights on the Spit since it has the "Drunken Squirrel" personality that someone mentioned in one of the beginner threads - love that analogy.

I am starting to remember what all of those dials and switches on my Eclipse 7 Radios do - found a manual on line - and have been going through and reprogramming the planes.

I am still flying the old 72 technology - have too much invested in Hi-Tec electron 6 recievers to change up everything too casually. My grandkids were using the radios to play Cop's and Robbers tho LOL - while I was not flying. They left them out in the rain one night, so I am not sure how much I trust them at this point - the radios LOL, not the grandkids - I know those guys are trouble. So I may go for Spectrum set up soon if I decide that it looks like I will get serious again. Donb't want to risk good airplanes if the radios are not totally reliable

If I go Spectrum, I will probaly give one of the radios and a couple of planes - GWS Beaver and Sopwith Camel to a friend of mine who wants to start flying. I don't need that many radios. I always kept 2 sets of everything so my kids could go flying with me, but they really never showed much interest.

Thinking about getting another GWS Beaver for myself, tho, in case the kids do decide they want to fly. I always liked that plane anyway, and it's pretty easy to repair after the kids crash it LOL. I had one of those set up one time to drop little plastic cowboys on parachutes for the grandkids to chase - they liked that. Was interesting. Had a servo on the aileron channel that opened a door in the bottom of the plane and the cowboys just fell out.

Pretty sure I am going to get myself another World Models MIss America Mustang EP from airborne - that was my all time favorite plane.

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=1848

I have a couple of models from World - always liked them - pretty decent quality and pricing.

Anyway - more later

Wolfe
Old 04-29-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery3
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (38)

Enjoyed the update Wolfe, I like the models from World Models too. Every plane I owned from them was a nice flyer.

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Scott Page
AMA & MAA Member

View Scott Page's Gallery1
Club: Miniature Airplane Association
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (0)
Default The time is right to start.

Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post

I really would rather avoid a steady progresion of crashed airplanes - tho some will crash as always.

Wolfe

Sounds like you have the bug. All airplanes die on the ground. Some having fun, others gathering dust. There is no shame in crashing -- but there is cost in money and time. I found that once I really really got started (after 30 years of sort of trying) there was nothing that helped me save airplanes as much as a good quality commercial simulator. For the cost of one airframe I could (and do) crash over and over and over trying new things -- and I hit the red button and I'm "back in the air" again.

For me -- this was the perfect time to really get started in the hobby (well actually a couple years ago) for four reasons. 1. ARF's Nobody appreciates a skillfully built model as much as I do -- but I could not take part in this hobby if I had to build my models from scratch. 2. Electric (Lipo) -- I have yet to see a Nitro or gas flyer get as many flights on a given day than the folks flying electric (specifically LiPo) Winter, summer and fall .. plug it in and advance the stick up and you're in the air with electric. 3. 2.4 Ghz for the simple reason that I can't say (or believe) "I got shot down". No excuses flying makes a heck of a difference -- to me. 4. Simulators : The number one best reason thing that enabled me to succeed in the hobby at this time is simulator time. I believe if a person didn't have a computer, it would be cheaper and more effective to buy a new computer and a simulator package than to learn by carnage. Screwing up in private is so much less emasculating than auguring in right in front of have dozen seasoned grizzly veteran members. One thing that's not new, but sure does increase the chance of continues success in the hobby is membership in a club. Not just paying to go fly -- but active participation in club events, maintenance, and service opportunities.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
wolfewinde

There is no doubt that the flight sim has big advantages. I don't know if I still have mine or if I gave it away - need to do some digging I guess.

In the meantime, I will just try to ease back into it and play up high.

It's been a bit too windy here for the Pico Moth, but it died down just enough tonight to get her back in the air. Went to one of my old haunts - a helipad for the local hospital that is in a decent sized field with the sunset enough on your left that you can fly until the sun goes down. Grass is about knee height in the field usually - one clump of trees you need to watch out for.

Got in about 20 minutes of figure eights on the Moth. She bounced around a lot - probably was actually too much wind for her - but all went well.

The pad is big enough that you can do a rolling take-off with most park flyers, but landing is always tricky on anything that comes in with any kind of speed. It's fine for a Pico Moth, tho.

Decided to give the Spitfire a shot - was definitly up tight about it and wishing I had a high wing to step up with rather than going striaght form the Moth to the Warbird. OH well, no such luck.

Tried to check out the trims really well on the ground and taxied her around the helipad a bit. then just went for it. She wasn't too badly out of trim, fortunately, only needed a bit of "up elevator" and "right rudder' to fly straight and level. Finally got her trimmed out as best I could in the wind.

I kept her up around 75 ft most of the time and just ran some gentle right hand loops, trying to just get softer and smoother on the sticks. Had the low rates set at 60% so she wasn't too wild anyway. It was getting dark enough that I was afraid I might lose oreintation if I tried anything harder than some easy circles - and my goal was just to get her up and down in one piece on the first flight anyway and start to get a feel for her again.

Only flew for about 5 min, then it started getting too dark to stay up. Decided there was no way I was going to get her down on the helipad, so I just eased her down and cut the throttle and let her settle into the grass. That worked out, so I was pretty happy to get in the first "Re-entry" warbird flight with no mishaps.

It wasn't all that smooth and pretty, and I certainly didn't push the plane at all, but it was a place to start.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Glad the flights went well.....the mention of helipad, brings back memories.

Last time I was on a helipad was in helicopter at Lubbock TT hospital, in october 2010 got 1st, 2nd degree burns on my left arm and left back from oilfield accident.

And actually kinda makes me grin, because that is how I got back in to rc airplanes again. GOOD THERAPY and good for my fingers on my left hand....lol Thats my excuse for this addiction and I am sticking to it.....

have a good one
cr
Old 04-30-2011, 03:09 AM   #6
wolfewinde

Sound like a pretty scary experience, glad u made it thru.

Wolfe
Old 04-30-2011, 03:28 AM   #7
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Yeah it was....I just thought that my story might be off-topic, but its really not, it is how "I got back into it...."

I live on a farm my entire life,worked around crazy hiefers and bulls and worked around large equipment, everything that you can think up, maybe not a rock quarry....lol, but you get the jest. Never got hurt at all, but I do not think that I am bulletproof either.

about 2yrs ago I started working for a wireline company out of OKC. We were perfing wells out in texas panhandle, we had been onsite for 4 days solid, no bed no shower, just a portapotty...lol and rattlesnakes out there ya know. Anyways a guy that was "tweeking" came up behind me and threw me on top of a propane gas grill, basically gave my whole left arm and left back a 10 seconds of "frying pan hot oil' bath. Got medi-flighted to lubbock from wheeler,tx.

I was on workers comp for 3mths and got real bored after a couple months and felt good enough to start an old hobby from about 10 years back. Almost 6mths later, I am so hooked on this hobby!! Flew the Apprentice 15e for the first time on Nov, 24, 2010.

have a good one
cr
Old 04-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
wolfewinde

Working on resurecting a very old GWS Beaver today. Still has a GWS geared engine in it - did not remember even still having one of those. It took damage like everything else when the plane racks went down. Probably going to give this one to my friend, Jay, who wants to try the hobby. but need to get it flying again first. I have it mostly glued back together now LOL - luckily I found all the missing pieces.

Also working on a Sopwith Camel Park foamie flyer - can't remember who made this one. Has about a 37" wingspan - will probably give him this one as well. It is a little harder to fly than the Beaver, but not terrible. It has cheap brushless outrunner in it.

Both of these planes are 3 channel, and between the 2 of them he will have basic set of elecctronics to get him started.

I have still have my original HiTec Laser 4 radio that I think still works - that goes to Jay as well. Can't remember what channel it is on tho LOL.

Anyway. I want to clear out my 2 plane racks so I can start rebuilding my own fleet of flyable planes.

Right now, I have the GWS Pico Moth and her sister - will try to keep them both flyable probably. So I will count that as one radio slot - can store up to 7 planes in model memory on my Eclipse 7.

The balsa Spit will count as #2 and the S.E. 5a as number #3. Not sure what I will try to get flight ready after I finish the 2 planes for Jay.

I am thinking out loud here LOL.

I think I want to have one more easy flying 3 channel that will take a bit more wind than the Pico Moths. Probably another warbird so I have 2 of those ready to fly, and maybe another 4-channel WWI bipe or a 4 channel high wing.

Also trying to figure out which batteries are still good, and which discharge connectors they already have and how those match up with the reciever connectors that I already have set up in my potentially flyable planes. Agghhhh. Naturally some of the "No Good Anymore" batteries were the ones where the connectors matched up with the"fixable" planes.

Most of my stuff, but not all, either has JST or Deans Ultra connectors. Looks like a lot of the cheaper battery brands now have different discharge connectors.

Did I mention I HATE to solder? But it probably makes sense to decide on one or 2 battery brands that I plan to use and then set everything up so all the connctors are interchangeable.

Anyway, the goal for this weekend if the wind allows is to get the Camel and the Beaver flyable and get a couple of flights on each of them before they go "bye-bye".

Wolfe
Old 04-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
wolfewinde

Well, both planes are repaired and as ready to go as I am going to get them. Now I just need the wind to calm a little for tonight. Travel on the Beaver control surfaces seems a bit limited - hopefully it will be enough

Wolfe
Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #10
wolfewinde

Well the wind did die down enought to fly. Went to a little park a couple blocks from my house. The beaver flew but was pretty sluggish - the throws were a problem. She nosed over when she landed and broke the prop, ripped out the LG, and stripped that gear on the GWS motor. So she needs some work and ptrobbly a new motor before she flies again - not sure if I will bother with her or not.

The Sopwith actually did quite well. NO damage on her.

Got to see another guy maiden a Multiplecx Easy Cub - she flew very well. Might look into one of those. Was also just nice to see there are some other flyers that use that park so I might have some company very close to home - that is good.

Wolfe
Old 05-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Sorry to hear bout the damage......no flying for me til I get my firewall made up and trimmed......

Man I need more planes!!!!!!

have a good one
cr
Old 05-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #12
wolfewinde

TY, Crimson

Damage is pretty minor - just not that good a plane to begin with LOL - been around a loooong time.

Just need to give it a brushless motor I think if I am going to keep her in the air , and put longer arms on the servos.

Wolfe
Old 05-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
wolfewinde

Well I did fix the Beaver today. Put a Motor Max 400 XT brushless in her and did some work on the servo travel. Repaired the LG and put on bigger wheels. We will see how she does tonight if the wind cooperates.

Still shuffling through the garage - we moved recently - trying to find all my stuff and see what all I have that is still usable and or fixable.

Wolfe
Old 05-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #14
wolfewinde

AGGGGHHHH! NOT a good day in RC-ville. Strut glue came loose on the Beaver so the wing folded. Broken LG and prop again - could have been worse.

Pretty much totalled the Spitfire tho - lost orientation on her while glancing down to try to adjust the trims. She nosed in from about 75 ft and splattered - pretty much toast I think.

The Sopwith flew fine tho, LOL. At least no battery damage.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #15
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

I am having probs with my stuts staying glue to fuse, too. On my 182 55", broke them on only one bad crash....glue does not stick to glue that has foam on it that has been glued.....lol

After 4 hrs of work got my firewall cut and motor mounted perfectly! On the strut problem, might put a small alum tubing through the fuse and attach somehow......Sorry to hear on the bad day flying, been there done that.

have a good one
cr
Old 05-03-2011, 01:10 AM   #16
wolfewinde

Well I did finally talk myself into repairing the Beaver one more time. Was really too windy to fly tonight, but I put her up anyway for about 5 minutes. She did OK, not great. At least the wing struts and the LG held this time.

Wolfe
Old 05-03-2011, 03:15 AM   #17
Dereck
Super Contributor

Hi Wolfe
Welcome back - you obviously have aeromodelling in your blood, so there's no running away. But most long timers have had some time out of the game. I was just a little different - quit when I was 14 to go cycle racing, restarted and got into RC when I was around 29. Been at it ever since, wifey reckons I'm working on ending up as the oldest kid on the block, though I have a ways to go.

Advice at usual internet rates - get yourself a good, rock solid high winger with ailerons and gentle-ish flight handling to build your skills up on. No reason you won't be able to fly a Spitfire again down the way, but a happy pilot is one who's ahead of his aircraft and in charge of it. A miserable pilot is basically following it around and wondering what it's going to do next.

Which often involves crashing, unfortunately.

That Multiplex Cub you saw comes from a good company with a sound reputation, could be a good choice for you.

Good luck

Dereck
Old 05-03-2011, 04:14 AM   #18
wolfewinde

Hi Dereck,

TY for the response. Yeah - I knew I was pushing it to try the warbird again too soon.

The Easy Cub should be a good re-entry plane. I agree. Was also thinking that since it is big enough to see well up pretty high, it might be a good plane to let my kids fly - they are adults - and a couple of the grandkids who might be old enough now.

I have a World Models Cessna SkyLane - which I don't think they make anymore - but looks to be almost the same plane as the Sky-Link.

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2681

Never finished it and have lost some of the parts, but I may turn it into a tail-dragger so I can fly it off the grass at the local park. HIgh Wing with ailerons - should be just the ticket. It's actually mostly built and I have all the electronics for it. Will probably try to get it in the air next.

Wolfe
Old 05-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #19
wolfewinde

Just got back from a couple batteries on the Sopwith at the local park. That park is only about 3 minutes from my house and there never seems to be anyone using the open field. The field is probably about a double kinda squared off football field size with a power line that separates it into 2 equal halves. If you are willing to fly over some houses you can extend that range some. I don't usually do that.

That Sopwith has always been one of my least favorite airplanes - but - it has served me well so far in the re-entry process. Winds have been consistently around 10 - 15 mph here, which makes her a bit touchy to fly but that probably is actually helping me get my thumbs back. Has been too windy for the Pico Moth, and I am hesitant to fly the S.E. 5a yet until I get in a bit more flight time - especially after wrecking the Spitfire.

I need to finish a couple of builds so I have something else to fly. Best candidates are probably either the WM Cessna or Balsa Tiger Moth. Both are partially built. That Balsa Moth has about a 30" wingspan and ailerons on the bottom wing only - she should handle a little more wind that the Pico. Cannot remember who made that plane - some off brand I think.

The Multiplex Easy Cub also showed up today. Still need to get batteries for that one, but I think I have everything else.

Wolfe
Old 05-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

2. Electric (Lipo) -- I have yet to see a Nitro or gas flyer get as many flights on a given day than the folks flying electric (specifically LiPo) Winter, summer and fall .. plug it in and advance the stick up and you're in the air with electric
Sorry but when I flew IC back in 80's, 90's ... I would empty a gallon can of fuel through my models regularly over a weekend ... In fact it wasn't fuel shortage that cut my flying - it was battery time on Tx and Rx's ... I can honestly say that my electric flying is LESS time in air total than I had with IC ... why ? An IC job was just pump in more fuel and flick prop again ... Electric is charge up batterys or swap out battery ... and I bet very very few electric flyers can claim to have run down Tx packs still with flight packs ready to go as I had with IC.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #21
Scott Page
AMA & MAA Member

View Scott Page's Gallery1
Club: Miniature Airplane Association
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
very very few electric flyers can claim to have run down Tx packs still with flight packs ready to go as I had with IC.
Boy isn't that the truth! It's darn near impossible now that I have LiPos in the TX and BECs in the planes. I can fly all day and night all weekend, and when the TX does need recharging it's only about one hour @ 1C charge.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #22
wolfewinde

Well we have had pretty low wind here this weekend - best since i started back. Got in several batteries on the Pico and the Sopwith - both continue to fly well.

Went back to a Local City Designated field on Sat that I used to fly at a lot. There were probably 15 or 20 Pilots there. A couple of the guys that I used to fly with were still there so that was nice. This field has no runway unless you want to take off from a very limited parking area. Most just use big wheels and take off and land on the grass or hand launch and belly land. Its another "about a squared off footfall field" sized area. Not big enough for anything too serious, but fine for most park flyers.

Got to see quite few planes fly including a couple of Multiplex Fun Cubs - those flew very well - and several of the Mini-sized palnes . I had never seen one of those fly before - they were also pretty impressive.

The were 6 or 7 planes in the air most of the time - field that sized starts to get crowded at more than 4 at a time I think, but no mid-airs. A couple of pretty close calls, though.

Wolfe
Old 05-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #23
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by Scott Page View Post
Boy isn't that the truth! It's darn near impossible now that I have LiPos in the TX and BECs in the planes. I can fly all day and night all weekend, and when the TX does need recharging it's only about one hour @ 1C charge.
Somehow I think you missed my point ............

I was rebuffing a previous post about electric flyers flying more than IC guys ...

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-11-2011, 05:34 AM   #24
wolfewinde

Well today was an expensive Re-entry day....

Picked up a Spectrum DX6i and a couple recievers. Decided I just don't completely trust my old radios anymore and don't want to fly any new planes on them. I'll just use them for some of my older foamies that I don't really care about that much anymore.

Also picked up a new dremel tool - mine seemed to die while it was hibernating LOL - some sevos, Lipo's and various other crap that I needed to finish some builds. Should be set now to get 4 or 5 more planes ready to fly.

Have been making some slow progress on getting the Balsa Moth and the WM Cessna closer to being done. Hope to finish them both by the end of this weekend. Then I will work on the Easy Cub and the WM Chipmunk.

Also got an HZ Champ RTF today to start teaching my friend Jay and some grandkids how to fly. Hopefully I can maiden that one tomorrow. It will also replace the Pico Moth as a trainer type airplne when I give the Moth to Jay.

He gets the Moth and the Beaver and some basic 72.4 electronics to get him started. Will be nice to have a friend to fly with that lives close by if he gets hooked.

Wolfe
Old 05-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #25
Dereck
Super Contributor

Hi Wolfe
Radios you don't trust can get real expensive! You might want to keep one for workshop set-ups of new models - wish I had done just that. With 2.4, you have all that binding, model naming and so on to diddle with. With 72, just plug in servos and a RX battery to do early in construction control waggling.

D

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions