Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
BigO

Friends: (0)
Default Radical RC Mini Intern Trainer

$45.00 shipped. I believe its going to be a nice Trainer If I can cover and finish it before I break it
It fit together good wasn't burned and the parts almost fell out of the sheets

BUT the Instructions are bad, confusing, The key doesn't match the written instructions. Some of the parts are not identified on the key I can go on .
Ailerons: The destructions carry on about ailerons How to sand a bevel what kind of hinge to use
BUT Not one place do the destructions talk about wear or how to mount a servo for ailerons
The Video Thats one of the reasons I got this kit it had a video. You can get the kit together watch en the video
But the video does not address the servo issue and Crash is building a model with ailerons
Im not taken any more advise from TheCrashCast
I would not recommend this kit to anyone
Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
BigO

It went together pertty good with the video

Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
maxflyer

You just made a major discovery: There are no hard-and-fast rules in this hobby. There are many ways to accomplish the same result. Looks like a well-designed model. A good foundation. Just cruise the board a bit and see how people do some of these things you're questioning. I wouldn't worry too much about perfection. In the early stages all perfect things will become imperfect (probably sooner than you would like). But you will learn. Just think about how to install parts so that they could be easily repaired or replaced later. Do everything possible to keep weight down. The less mass there is when it hits something, the less damage there will be. Repairing an airframe like this is not particularly difficult, especially if you have some wood kit experience, but it can become very time consuming, compared to foam. Just think of the plans as a general guide, not absolute law. Don't be afraid to make small changes, based upon good research or advice. I think you will find a lot of enjoyment in flying a wood model like this. Look forward to a flight report.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
BigO

Hay Max
Just about got the cover on Ill try to fly it next week If the wind will die down a little
I have no complaints about the model its got a snazzy wing hold down no rubber bands
most of it is 1/16" balsa so i dident sand on it much so i haven't had to patch on it much
This is the first time ive used a plastic covering Ive covered a few models with tissue -Monokote- I learned Moms hair drier dont work and I need to ask Mom to hold stuff down
Old 04-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
BigO

I got the cover on Its not straight but I believe it will fly.
not much room for the electronics and my fingers so that's going to be a challenge
Old 04-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
maxflyer

Looks good. She's a bit smaller than I expected. You might want to be a bit cautious in the wind until you find out how she handles.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

You know every time i think building has died some one like you pops up and builds a nice plane. GOOD Going BigO ! nice build . joe
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
BigO

its a small plane max 33" wingspan using the same setup as the stc the KEDA 2730 a 10a esc and a 7" prop.

Going to try to fly this weekend

Thanks joe
Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 AM   #9
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Bigo i take a hot glue gun and dap it on extra wires to the inside of my fuse to hold them out of the way of servos and make it look neat. For alot of extra wire i use zip ties to tie them up. But with a small fuse like yours it looks like a pain to do it.lol good luck on your maiden. BTW i have used a Keda motor before and they run well. joe
Old 04-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
BigO

Thanks joe
Do you thank the rx will be ok next to the servos
Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Thanks joe
Do you thank the rx will be ok next to the servos
It should be alright but range check it before your maiden ,also douple check the throws and directions just once more . Remember altitude is your friend so climb up kinda high then cut the throttle a hair so it slows things down .Then trim it and fly circles till you get use to it. The climb high thing is for making mistakes so you have time to recover if you get a little trouble. Good luck BigO joe
Old 04-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
BigO

It flies like the wind I got up at the crack of dawn Sunday and woke up my darling bridei
How said some really mean things about me and the airplane. I promised her breakfast and some yard work. We went to the park
Its a lot easier to fly than the stc But I knew a little more this build I set it up with small throws and the KEDA 2730 is just about my wife's speed
Yes my wife's speed I let her fly it know she keeps asking me that kind of airplane do I want?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #13
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

It flies like the wind I got up at the crack of dawn Sunday and woke up my darling bridei
How said some really mean things about me and the airplane. I promised her breakfast and some yard work. We went to the park
Its a lot easier to fly than the stc But I knew a little more this build I set it up with small throws and the KEDA 2730 is just about my wife's speed
Yes my wife's speed I let her fly it know she keeps asking me that kind of airplane do I want?
Tell her a lear jet will do.lol If i tried to get my girlfiend up early it would get ugly real fast so i sneek out the door early to go fly . You got a keeper ther Bigo plane and wife, congrats on the maiden . You ever try building with foam ?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #14
maxflyer

Way-to-go BigO! What a maiden! Successful flight, and you not only trained your wife to fly it too, you also trained her to buy you more airplanes! Doesn't get much better than that son!I have just about finished up my first scratch-built 3D foamy, but I can no longer discuss these things in the beginners' forum, since they chased me out for having too much experience. I'll have to show it here.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #15
BigO

Thanks King My first rc build was foam I built a stc the motor and batt are off of it
Thanks max
Old 04-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #16
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Thanks King My first rc build was foam I built a stc the motor and batt are off of it
Thanks max
My second hobby is to save good plans, foam and balsa so if you ever need any plans of anything just pm me Max. My first hobby is to build and fly weird stuff or anything i like the looks of. I just found free cad drawings for this a couple days ago but it wont be a easy build and i like that also. lol joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wilga-a.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	167727
Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
BaronBernie
Baron Bernie

Club: Western New York Sailplane And Electrical Plane Flying Club
Send a message via Yahoo to BaronBernie
Friends: (1)

Road King, does your offer for plans go for anyone? I have been looking for planes for an ultralite that I can make out of foam board. Looked everywhere but with no luck. Many times can take plans that I see on RC Groups and adapt that plane to get an idea for what I am looking for, but not this time. Thanx in advance. Baron

Low and slow is the way to go!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #18
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by BaronBernie View Post
Road King, does your offer for plans go for anyone? I have been looking for planes for an ultralite that I can make out of foam board. Looked everywhere but with no luck. Many times can take plans that I see on RC Groups and adapt that plane to get an idea for what I am looking for, but not this time. Thanx in advance. Baron
Sure does ,most who know me know i promote building a plane rather than suporting the chineese economy.lol I would like to see more builders and craftsmen in our hobby to teach the next generation. Besides its a great feeling building your own plane then seeing it fly. I here is a site to start looking through but i have plenty more . joe http://www.outerzone.co.uk/index.asp Btw Dgjressing is building a ultrilight now here in the forums. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70302 This plan costs 13 bucks but it is a ultrilight . You can google it for a picture of the plane theydont have a picture here.http://www.airagestore.com/plans/rc-...ltralight.html

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft