Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #26
RCFlyer44

View RCFlyer44's Gallery2
Club: RC Wingers, Mooresville, NC
Send a message via Yahoo to RCFlyer44
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions and input.
I just sent in my order to BMJR Models for their Spacewalker kit. Although the kit is more expensive than the Four Star, the motor and battery requirements make it less expensive to complete. Got to watch my pennies, or I won't have enough left to put gas in the car to get to the flying field!
Now I have to crack the whip on the elves to get that RR done and out of the workshop.
Congrats on settling on one, I know that feeling, I agonized for a couple weeks which plane should be my first balsa plane after not having one for 20 some years and flying foamies for the past year, after maidening her last Saturday I couldn't be more pleased with my choice of the Super Sporster EP ARF. The Spacewalker is a great plane, please start a Build Thread once you start, would love to watch the progress and maiden flight!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:51 AM   #27
skengin1

Friends: (0)
Default About Build kits

Hey,
I realize it's been a long time since this thread began, but I've been looking for balsa build kits myself and came across this awesome site. I have not purchased anything from them yet, but I did to speak with someone in their office who was friendly and informative. Site is: (triple w then dot) hobbyhangar.com. Try it out, looks like what you're looking for.

Saurabh.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:33 AM   #28
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Club: Hillsboro Fly-A-Ways
Friends: (2)

This link looks totally useless like some kind of spam link. It doesn't directly link to any real kit source just a bunch of shopping websites that are a waste of time. This seems lame to me.....
Old 10-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #29
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Hi Paul , Their are alot of kits out there still to choose from but if you got a little extra time you could cut some parts out and build your own kit. Here are the PDF plans to a tidewater pronto that is a low wing kinda trainer . This was my first plane over 30 years ago and a great flying 3 channel low wing trainer. It could be built with ailirons with a little work but it flys great the way it is. joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1401154&page=4 Here is another bunch of fun plane plans and it is all the clancy bee pdfs . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916960 Good luck with what ever you decide to build paul . joe
Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #30
drummaker

Club: South Bend RC Club
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
Every one leaves stevens aero models out but i have seen there lazer cut parts and think they have their stuff together as far as flying goes too. http://www.stevensaero.com/ I really like the look of some of there planes also. joe
But they are So expensive
Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #31
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by drummaker View Post
But they are So expensive
You got the exspensive part correct ,he charges alot more than most kit companys . Mountain models has some nice kits and cheaper too. http://www.mountainmodels.com/
Old 04-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #32
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/....aspx?catid=22 here is another kit company. Herr is a branch of sig and i have built a couple kits from them with great results. http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...nuF.html?E+Sig
Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #33
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14868 Here is a list of kit companys and plans also. joe
Old 04-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #34
drummaker

You got the exspensive part correct ,he charges alot more than most kit companys . Mountain models has some nice kits and cheaper too. http://www.mountainmodels.com/
I did the MM cub. It is an awesome model, and very tough. I am trying to pick out my next model and I am torn between the Sig four star 20 and the MM Switchback Sr.

I am inclined at this point to do the Sig. The wing loading is much higher, and I would like to have something that would penetrate the wind a little better. It is hard to find low wind days here in northern Indiana, at least in the spring. For some reason all the models I have enjoyed watching fly were a little higher wing loading. The really low wing loading sort of makes them look like they are floating not like they are gliding or flying.

Any input from anyone? I am wide open to suggestions and or comments.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #35
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I did the MM cub. It is an awesome model, and very tough. I am trying to pick out my next model and I am torn between the Sig four star 20 and the MM Switchback Sr.

I am inclined at this point to do the Sig. The wing loading is much higher, and I would like to have something that would penetrate the wind a little better. It is hard to find low wind days here in northern Indiana, at least in the spring. For some reason all the models I have enjoyed watching fly were a little higher wing loading. The really low wing loading sort of makes them look like they are floating not like they are gliding or flying.

Any input from anyone? I am wide open to suggestions and or comments.
The sig planes fly well and one of the best trainers was the Kadet SR . I would go for four star it is a good low wing learning plane with no bad habbits but you can ring it out when you want to for some fun. BTW i meet HAZEL SIG when i was young while i was attending a 1/4 scale meet with my1/3 scale byron pitts . She was giving out prizes from sig for the winners of the raffles. Real nice lady and gave away very nice stuff. They no longer own the company but they started and owned it for a very long time. joe
Old 04-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #36
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Here was my first low wing trainer 30 years ago . Its a tidewater pronto surpreme . My first one lasted a couple years but it meet its end and i found free plans last year and built another one of my old friend. lol I could have built it with a e- motor but it would have not been the old friend i missed. joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mine.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	167882

Name:	mine 2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	167883

Name:	pronto.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	167884
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #37
drummaker

Here was my first low wing trainer 30 years ago . Its a tidewater pronto surpreme . My first one lasted a couple years but it meet its end and i found free plans last year and built another one of my old friend. lol I could have built it with a e- motor but it would have not been the old friend i missed. joe
Wow..
I am humbled

I think I will go with the Sig it is cheaper

Thoughts on my Wing Loading comment?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #38
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Wow..
I am humbled

I think I will go with the Sig it is cheaper

Thoughts on my Wing Loading comment?
My pronto is heavy and great for flying on windy days so i think you are on the right track sir. joe
Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #39
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315989 Here is the review on the sig fourstar 20
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #40
drummaker

yes I have seen this. I just started flying a few weeks ago but spent a LOT of time on phoenix sym. I have built a couple of kits including a T6 Texan. I have since disintegrated the Texan. Something went very wrong while it was in the air, and if flew into a metal roof probably at 4- to 50 mph. I am not sure I will ever know what the problem was, I think it was the 3 axis gyro I put in it. It was like something was fighting me all the time, and It really wanted to bank right all the time.

anyway. I have flown the cub many times and have been flying my Hawk sky and dynam skybus when it is windy. I am anxious for another build, and I believe the Four star has all the things I want. I have been noticing that among the models built for electric, very light and light wing loading is the norm. Yet at the field. Most people are flying 2-3 lb models with 40 to 55 inch wing spans. Clearly these actually fly instead of floating, and can travel comfortably at speeds fast enough to easily overcome the wind. Unfortunately only a couple are still building and they are flying large Nitro planes.

The sig 20 seems to be a Real plane designed to Fly not float. I have been eyeballing it for a while.. My issue is that I think I really want to build a 60 or 120. I know I should just stick with the 20 ep though so I think I will pull the trigger on payday.

I haven't been this broke since I quit paying Child Support.
Here is a pic of the Doomed T6

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=70048&page=3

Thanks for the friendly advice.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #41
drummaker

Default Hmmmm

I am seeing that Sig is comming out with a 40 and 60 with electric power options..

out June they say.... Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Will bigger be as much better as I imagine?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #42
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

yes I have seen this. I just started flying a few weeks ago but spent a LOT of time on phoenix sym. I have built a couple of kits including a T6 Texan. I have since disintegrated the Texan. Something went very wrong while it was in the air, and if flew into a metal roof probably at 4- to 50 mph. I am not sure I will ever know what the problem was, I think it was the 3 axis gyro I put in it. It was like something was fighting me all the time, and It really wanted to bank right all the time.

anyway. I have flown the cub many times and have been flying my Hawk sky and dynam skybus when it is windy. I am anxious for another build, and I believe the Four star has all the things I want. I have been noticing that among the models built for electric, very light and light wing loading is the norm. Yet at the field. Most people are flying 2-3 lb models with 40 to 55 inch wing spans. Clearly these actually fly instead of floating, and can travel comfortably at speeds fast enough to easily overcome the wind. Unfortunately only a couple are still building and they are flying large Nitro planes.

The sig 20 seems to be a Real plane designed to Fly not float. I have been eyeballing it for a while.. My issue is that I think I really want to build a 60 or 120. I know I should just stick with the 20 ep though so I think I will pull the trigger on payday.

I haven't been this broke since I quit paying Child Support.
Here is a pic of the Doomed T6

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=70048&page=3

Thanks for the friendly advice.
I was posting in your old thread ,Daaaaa . I dont like gyros on planes its just something else to go wrong. Here is one of my seaplane scratch builds . If you run into any building problems just pm me maybe i can help.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0206.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	167888

Name:	Img_7017.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	167889

Name:	Img_7084teal2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	167890

Name:	DSCN0216.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	167891
Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #43
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I think bigger is better but for a 60 size e-motor means you will need big batterys and a better charger .For now i would keep in the 2200 or 3200 3 cell lipo range and have fun . I can aford bigger planes but i stick with smaller size stuff because of the cost. I just broke down and bought a new hitek charger for my seaplane batterys and it was 200 bucks. You would have to use a 4 cell packs or 6 cell for a 60 size plane and that means $ . joe
Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #44
drummaker

I think bigger is better but for a 60 size e-motor means you will need big batterys and a better charger .For now i would keep in the 2200 or 3200 3 cell lipo range and have fun . I can aford bigger planes but i stick with smaller size stuff because of the cost. I just broke down and bought a new hitek charger for my seaplane batterys and it was 200 bucks. You would have to use a 4 cell packs or 6 cell for a 60 size plane and that means $ . joe
Good advice.
And... being a noob at flying, I would have to say a 2.5 lb projectile is less dangerous than a 12 lb projectile.

Still... I really wanna do a big one!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #45
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Ha Ha i have sigs 1/3 scale cub on 4 ft floats and it weighs around 28 pounds with a 40 cc gas motor ,that would hurt if it went out of control. lol joe
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #46
drummaker

Ya.. I was really embarrassed when I crashed that texan into the barn. You should have heard the crash. I thought ...What if that had been a person. Fortunately no one was injured and it didn't even dent the roof. All the parts slid up the roof, over the top and most made it to the ground on the other side. Some remain in the gutter. Oh well.

Anyway that episode made more aware of the liability involved.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #47
drummaker

I was posting in your old thread ,Daaaaa . I dont like gyros on planes its just something else to go wrong. Here is one of my seaplane scratch builds . If you run into any building problems just pm me maybe i can help.
This thing is Amazing
Old 04-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #48
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Ya.. I was really embarrassed when I crashed that texan into the barn. You should have heard the crash. I thought ...What if that had been a person. Fortunately no one was injured and it didn't even dent the roof. All the parts slid up the roof, over the top and most made it to the ground on the other side. Some remain in the gutter. Oh well.

Anyway that episode made more aware of the liability involved.
Besides my own insurance i have been a member of the AMA for 35 years for their extra coverage ,you kinda have to if you want to fly big stuff around people. I did sift one through tree tops at a water funfly not to long ago and i was comming around for a news paper photo when it happened. That was embarrassing ! lol
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #49
drummaker

Besides my own insurance i have been a member of the AMA for 35 years for their extra coverage ,you kinda have to if you want to fly big stuff around people. I did sift one through tree tops at a water funfly not to long ago and i was comming around for a news paper photo when it happened. That was embarrassing ! lol
I guess it would be.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft