Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
View Poll Results: what method do you use to charge your field battery?
I have one of those plug in home car battery chargers. 5 71.43%
I use my car's engine to charge it (the field battery, not the car's battery). 0 0%
I use the same charger I use to charge my plane's batteries. 1 14.29%
I've come up with another way, here's how I do it: (Tell us!) 1 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)
Default How do you charge your field batteries?

Assuming that you use a seperate battery, other than the one that is in your car to start it, that is.

Which of the above methods do you use to put the electrons back into that big heavy deep cycle marine battery?

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 05-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

View Figure.N9ne's Gallery8
Club: Mako's RC Jet Club
Send a message via AIM to Figure.N9ne
Friends: (3)

I have some humongous craftsman battery charger than I inherited from my grandfather a few years back. The thing is probably over 20 years old, but it still works and if anything, it's too powerful. Can charge my deep cycle marine battery in a 3-4 hours. Been wanting to upgrade it to one of those new-fangled peak detection systems but the craftsman just won't die.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
Which of the above methods do you use to put the electrons back into that big heavy deep cycle marine battery?
I've got three models with a 6S2P A123 pack, and one model with a 12S2P A123 pack. The charger is a Cellpro Powerlab 8 that can recharge that 12S2P pack in 18 minutes. This charger pulls 44 Amps out of the deep cycle battery while charging.

The source batteries is a PAIR of parallel connected 12 Volt 120 Ampere Hour deep cycle batteries, charged at home with a Sears Craftsman 10 Amp battery charger designed for deep cycle batteries.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Why not just connect them up to the car charging circuit? That way they will always be charged with no special steps or worried about forgetting.

They will always be fully charged every time you arrive at the field and get re-charged on the way home.

If you dont want to leave them charging constantly, just install an RV cut off switch in the charge line. Simple, reliable and cheap

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 05-05-2011, 05:32 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Why not just connect them up to the car charging circuit? That way they will always be charged with no special steps or worried about forgetting.

They will always be fully charged every time you arrive at the field and get re-charged on the way home.

If you dont want to leave them charging constantly, just install an RV cut off switch in the charge line. Simple, reliable and cheap
Yeah, I've thought about that, but my giant scale model pulls about 60 Ampere Hours out of the deep cycle batteries on 5 flights. (As checked with putting my Astroflight Whattmeter in series with the deep cycle battery charger)

And since the field is only 20 minutes from my home, running at full blast, the alternator in my old airplane truck (Chevy S10) would never get the batteries recharged completely.

DennyV
Old 05-05-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 

Most alternators are capable of putting out well over 50-80 amps. That would put a big dent in the charge level at least. Then you have the drive back to the field the next day. Id bet you would stay charged up if you also made a side trip or two in between.

Most people wont be pulling nearly that much out of their batteries on a normal basis. You are a major heavy user in that regard

Larry
Old 05-05-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Most alternators are capable of putting out well over 50-80 amps. Id bet you would stay charged up if you also made a side trip or two in between.

Most people wont be pulling nearly that much out of their batteries on a normal basis. You are a major heavy user in that regard
Yup I am.

FYI, I just changed the oil in the S10 yesterday, last time it was changed was August 12, 2010. And I drove it a total of 647 miles to the flying field and back, and no where else in the past 6 months. (It's my airplane truck!) It's a 1991, and has 92,000 miles on it.

DennyV
Old 05-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

last time it was changed was August 12, 2011
What about the Flux Capacity Convertor ?

I read with horror posts where a deep cycle battery is charged in 3 - 4 hrs ! I'm amazed the plates are still ok .... and would expect electrolyte to boil away.

There are various electronic ways to charge batterys via your car system and can be splitters (without diode voltage drop), relays, or charge boosters that fool the alternator to give extra ....

I don't need a field battery usually but I carry one of those emergency starter packs in the back of my car plugged iinto the 12v socket. It's good enough to run my field chargers for the smallish packs I use.

I have posted this before but will repeat again ... (I know the next as fact as I spend most of my 'other spare time' sorting out boat electrics) ....

Deep cycle marine batterys are NOT designed for HIGH AMPS load discharge or charge use. They are designed for steady moderate demand usage that takes them down below recc'd 50% capacity usage of standard cranking batterys. They have thick plates for this purpose and less surface area for electrolyte to act. Cranking batterys - your normal car duty batterys have thin plates and greater surface area to give that high ampage demand, but on dragging down below 50% capacity starts to buckle the plates.

So in theory : If you want high ampage power you should go for high capacity cranking batterys and accept that you cannot drag them past 50% capacity level. Charging them up asap. If you are a moderate or low amps demand user then a deep cycle battery is fine and can be taken below 50% ... but advised not too low !! 30 - 35% is usually ok.

Of course there are always those who prove above wrong ...

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,078 Times in 1,988 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

I read with horror posts where a deep cycle battery is charged in 3 - 4 hrs ! I'm amazed the plates are still ok .... and would expect electrolyte to boil away.

There are various electronic ways to charge batterys via your car system and can be splitters (without diode voltage drop), relays, or charge boosters that fool the alternator to give extra ....

I don't need a field battery usually but I carry one of those emergency starter packs in the back of my car plugged iinto the 12v socket. It's good enough to run my field chargers for the smallish packs I use.

I have posted this before but will repeat again ... (I know the next as fact as I spend most of my 'other spare time' sorting out boat electrics) ....

Deep cycle marine batterys are NOT designed for HIGH AMPS load discharge or charge use. They are designed for steady moderate demand usage that takes them down below recc'd 50% capacity usage of standard cranking batterys. They have thick plates for this purpose and less surface area for electrolyte to act. Cranking batterys - your normal car duty batterys have thin plates and greater surface area to give that high ampage demand, but on dragging down below 50% capacity starts to buckle the plates.

So in theory : If you want high ampage power you should go for high capacity cranking batterys and accept that you cannot drag them past 50% capacity level. Charging them up asap. If you are a moderate or low amps demand user then a deep cycle battery is fine and can be taken below 50% ... but advised not too low !! 30 - 35% is usually ok.

I Can find nothing wrong with the above post, i need to go into the future too and change my oil, so i dont have to do it now Take careand have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 05-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

I will change mine too. It should be due by then.
Henry
Old 05-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

I did not know about the slow charge requirements of deep cycle batteries. Thanks!

Larry
Old 05-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post

I Can find nothing wrong with the above post, i need to go into the future too and change my oil, so i dont have to do it now Take careand have fun, Chellie

LOL
Got me, need to change that to 2010, (Another keypunch error!)

DennyV
Old 05-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

I did not know about the slow charge requirements of deep cycle batteries. Thanks!
Interesting:
My Sears Craftsman charger has both a high and a low rate, along with voltage limiting.

Think it will just be set to the low 5 Amp rate, for the two parallel 120 Amp Hour batteries. That gets it charged up in 24 hours or so.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers

Tags
battery charge , field , poll