Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-05-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)
Default I have a question regarding the new 16 channel transmitters.

Why?

I'm seroius. I can't even think of 16 things to put on an airplane!

Let's see now, if I have a seperate servo for each aileron, flap and spoiler, that makes what, 6? Add the elevator and rudder and you have 8, motor makes 9. Retracts? 10. Bomb bay doors will use Ch. 11 and the bomb release will be on Ch 12.

Let's put a camera on this plane too (why? I don't know why! That's why I'm asking this stupid question!). So channel 13 could be used for pan/tilt and 14 will release the shutter or start/stop the video.

Lets see that leaves what, two channels? How about phasers on 15. Ok, so just one left. Channel 16? OK, wait a minute, let me think...

...hang on, I'll come up with something...

...Hmm, do I still have that extra flux capacitor in the garage..?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #2
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (26)

Bigger planes that have 4 servos on the wings (two for ailerons, two for flaps), dual rudder and elevator servo setups, landging gear sequencing doors, nav lights, working canopy, working speed brakes, working drogue chute. The list goes on and on.

XPS is coming out with a new 16-ch radio soon. 1000 model memory (my 9303 is full), telemetry, user interface, remote updating, and on and on. But the best part about it is the price, $249! I can't wait to get mine! (Even though I typically fly no more than 3 channels! )

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:08 AM   #3
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Bigger planes that have 4 servos on the wings (two for ailerons, two for flaps), dual rudder and elevator servo setups, landging gear sequencing doors, nav lights, working canopy, working speed brakes, working drogue chute. The list goes on and on.

XPS is coming out with a new 16-ch radio soon. 1000 model memory (my 9303 is full), telemetry, user interface, remote updating, and on and on. But the best part about it is the price, $249! I can't wait to get mine! (Even though I typically fly no more than 3 channels! )
Hi Pat
Quite right
In fact 2 of my warbirds the Jug and the Lightning use just such setups
My JR 12x can handle them as easily as my parkflyers and in the long run is a bargin for all that it allows me to do
Most of my aircraft fixed wing and heli are controlled by it so the large model memory is a plus as well
I dont regret the expense one bit as it will serve me very well for quite a long time
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 05-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post

Indeed! I'm on the short list for one also. Mixing Mixing Mixing is why you would want so many channels. Sure, not every plane, every application, but soon, my radio setups will be LIMITLESS!!

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 05-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

More power!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Thing that I've noticed is that we have increased number of ch's but also lost some of the old facilities.

My old 1980's 8ch JR Propo had buttons on top for Snap roll left, right and inverted ... exponential rudder/throttle coordination etc.

even though it was not a computer job ... it had mixing and set-ups that had you oooooohing and arrrrrrring when it appeared on shop shelves !

My new 2.4Ghz jobs have switches and knobs on ... menus to do all sorts of fancy stuff .......... but no snap-roll buttons !

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
buzzltyr

Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Thing that I've noticed is that we have increased number of ch's but also lost some of the old facilities.

My old 1980's 8ch JR Propo had buttons on top for Snap roll left, right and inverted ... exponential rudder/throttle coordination etc.

even though it was not a computer job ... it had mixing and set-ups that had you oooooohing and arrrrrrring when it appeared on shop shelves !

My new 2.4Ghz jobs have switches and knobs on ... menus to do all sorts of fancy stuff .......... but no snap-roll buttons !
The Aurora9 from Hitec has a snap-roll function you can program for four different snap rolls. The directions are on page 109 of the manual. Given the A9's programmability, I'd guess the snap roll function could be assigned to any of the multiple switches.

Mark
Old 05-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
spad

Friends: (0)

Is that like a California roll?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by buzzltyr View Post
The Aurora9 from Hitec has a snap-roll function you can program for four different snap rolls. The directions are on page 109 of the manual. Given the A9's programmability, I'd guess the snap roll function could be assigned to any of the multiple switches.

Mark

The beauty of the old JR buttons was they were press to make momentary buttons ... I'd not like to flick a switch to do same - even a sprung one - just not the same .... and they fell near to index finger for use ... based on I used to thumb my sticks.

California Roll ?? Assuming it's not a bit of sarcasm .. is that another US alternative name to what rest of world calls it ?

JR8 manual page ....

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 05-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (26)

Banana Hobby has a 15-servo F-18E coming out later this month. It features:

Throttle
Ailerons
Elevators
Rudders/Steerable Nosewheel
Flaps/Leading Edge Slats
Retracts
360 Thrust Vectoring Nozzles
Opening Canopy
Folding Wings

All those buttons and switches are going to come in handy!

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
dmoody19
Dave101

Talking 16 channels

If you have a good sized 3d plane you will have 4 servos for ailerons (2 on each side) , flaps, twins for elevator, (or triples like the 38% extra 330S from great planes) plus twins for rudder the list goes on and on....

As for the snap roll.......... My airtronics SD10G has twin buttons like your old radio.... not to mention triple rate switches...... The buttons are there for things like ...... snap rolls.....

I will have to also try out the new 16 if it finally shows up.... The voice link etc will be great... If it works like claimed then it would be a radio that you could fly almost anything with without having to get a new radio when you go bigger and with more planes. The amount of planes it remembers is great. If you guys are like me you always want another plane... Even if you bought 20 or more in the last year or so .... LOL......
Old 05-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

............As for the snap roll.......... My airtronics SD10G has twin buttons like your old radio.... not to mention triple rate switches...... The buttons are there for things like ...... snap rolls..... ............
Look around at how many do not have such buttons ... in 80's most multi channel sets of 8ch etc. had them ... now most don't.
My JR in that picture also has triple rates ... not just dual .... but that even then was unusual. In fact I could flick a switch and the 3 rate switches ... Rudder, Aileron and Elevator would effectively dual rate a different setting ... I even had various interlocks, switch out / in combos ....

But then again it was the Rolls Royce of radios then ...

Old 05-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
dmoody19
Dave101

Red face cool

I wasn't in the sport back then. It looks like it was a great radio though. I have a 72 mhz 378 that is actually a great radio yet and as more go to 2.4 it is easier to fly on weekends at the local field. When I got my Airtronics my wife inherited the JR. Great radio.. I am wondering how much longer it will be for the 16 to show.....

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros