Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)
Default Step 1.5 in my first scratch built foamie

I guess I'm posting this as motivation to follow through on this. The attached pic is of the templates ready to be cut as guides for hot wire cutting foam for my first scratch built RC. It'll be a low-wing, 4 channel micro-flier. No idea how it will turn out, but I'm having fun with it!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3321.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	148011  

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 05-06-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Thumbs up

Hi
Outstanding
Ah your first SC Build
Looks like your off to a great start
Cant wait to see more
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
I guess I'm posting this as motivation to follow through on this. The attached pic is of the templates ready to be cut as guides for hot wire cutting foam for my first scratch built RC. It'll be a low-wing, 4 channel micro-flier. No idea how it will turn out, but I'm having fun with it!
Looking Great make the main wing just a little wider for more surface area to help carry the power systems weight, just my 2 cents worth, Take care, Chellie

Hi, maybe some of the threads below might give you some building ideas for your scratch build Plane, hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39483

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39733

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...652#post715652

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 05-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
earthsciteach

Thanks for your input Chellie! I took a SWAG at the wing loading and think it will come in somewhere around 5.3 oz/sq. ft. What is a decent wing loading for a micro-flier like this little guy? I am hoping it will be similar in performance to the Parkzone Ultra micros. Based on the info I could find for Parkzone, the UM F4U has a wing loading of 4.3 oz/sq. ft.

I'm planning on using a brushless motor (haven't picked one, yet) and 1s battery. I'd like the plane to have a good bit of zip, yet be able to fly slow enough to be flown in a gymnasium. I want my cake and eat it, too, dammit!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Thanks for your input Chellie! I took a SWAG at the wing loading and think it will come in somewhere around 5.3 oz/sq. ft. What is a decent wing loading for a micro-flier like this little guy? I am hoping it will be similar in performance to the Parkzone Ultra micros. Based on the info I could find for Parkzone, the UM F4U has a wing loading of 4.3 oz/sq. ft.

I'm planning on using a brushless motor (haven't picked one, yet) and 1s battery. I'd like the plane to have a good bit of zip, yet be able to fly slow enough to be flown in a gymnasium. I want my cake and eat it, too, dammit!
Hi If you can get the wing loading closer to 4.3 oz/sq.ft, it will fly better for you indoors, use a 2 cell lipo for better performance.here is some info for you, Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61083

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
earthsciteach

Ok. I'll bump up the wing area to hit 4.3 oz/sq ft. If I go with the motor and 2 cell Lipo used in the post, I'll think I will have the handling characteristics I'm looking for, provided the weight works out as expected.
Thanks, Chellie!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
earthsciteach

Making progress on the Little Swift. Almost ready for power and control systems!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swift6.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	148558  

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft