Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Tom Sawyer

Friends: (0)
Default How do I balance charge my lipo packs?

Although I have used lipos for a while I have never balanced them....and subsequently mine seem substantially down on capacity.

Do I need a dedicated balance charger or do I buy some kind of seperate balancer device?

I have a charger called a 'pro peak quattro plus' which I assume just charges the lipos to a peak but does not balance them (it only has the 2 main charge leads)

I have several different lipos (most are over 4 years old) all with different balancing plugs so how do I choose the right balancer that will work with all of them or will I need to buy new items that are all from one sytem?

(I am sorry if this has been covered elsewhere!)
Old 05-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,131 Times in 2,040 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
Although I have used lipos for a while I have never balanced them....and subsequently mine seem substantially down on capacity.

Do I need a dedicated balance charger or do I buy some kind of seperate balancer device?

I have a charger called a 'pro peak quattro plus' which I assume just charges the lipos to a peak but does not balance them (it only has the 2 main charge leads)

I have several different lipos (most are over 4 years old) all with different balancing plugs so how do I choose the right balancer that will work with all of them or will I need to buy new items that are all from one sytem?

(I am sorry if this has been covered elsewhere!)
Hi you can use a Blinky Balancer with your charger, its a universal Balancer, they work great, its all that i use with my lipos, normally you dont have to balance your lipos every time you charge them, every 3 or 4th time is good enough, here is the blinky Balancer. you just plug it into your balance port, and it will do the rest, its done balancing when it stops blinking, with your lipos being over 4 years old, i think they are worn out, and balancing them is not going to help much, normally a lipo will last for about 2 years before they start getting weak, hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.readyheli.com/BLINKY-Astr...r_p_32209.html

Astro "Blinky" Battery Balancer

This Battery Balancer is specially designed for Lithium Batteries. The balancer accepts one to six cell lithium battery packs.

-Now you can see if all cells are above 3.2 volts before charging (LED's will not turn on if below 3.2V).

-Now you can Balance your pack while you are charging.

-You can also Balance your pack after you are finished charging.

-This unit also allows you to Discharge individual cells that are over charged (will not allow cells to be charged over 4.2V)

Connector has 0.100 in pin spacing with 0.025 square pins and fits Apogee and other brands. Pins should be in order: red, black, black and black with no gaps or missing pins in the sequence.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 05-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

The Blinky work ok if the packs are not very far out of ballance. If they are in rough shape it doesnt work very well and takes forever.

Id get a better - safer - charger. Using a charger that does not balance charge is not very safe.

I recommend the FMA cellpro. Its good for up to 4S packs and is reasonably priced and is a top quality product. Its also easy to use.

Dont cheap out on the charger. Its insurance to keep you from burning down your house

You WILL need to order adaptors for each different battery brand you want to charge. No way around that. FMA offers all the current ones with the chargers.

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 05-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
The Blinky work ok if the packs are not very far out of ballance. If they are in rough shape it doesnt work very well and takes forever.

Id get a better - safer - charger. Using a charger that does not balance charge is not very safe.

I recommend the FMA cellpro. Its good for up to 4S packs and is reasonably priced and is a top quality product. Its also easy to use.

Dont cheap out on the charger. Its insurance to keep you from burning down your house

You WILL need to order adaptors for each different battery brand you want to charge. No way around that. FMA offers all the current ones with the chargers.

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/
Ditto comments on the FMA Cellpro chargers. I've got a Cellpro Powerlab 8, that handles balancing the cells while charging the batteries.

FYI, I used an Astroflight "Blinky" on my A123 batteries for a year or so, that thing wound up killing two cells in my 6S2P battery pack. IMHO, the voltage drop on those A123 cells is flat, so the Little Blinky didn't work.

And my A123 cells got so far out of balance, I got damaged cells.

You can watch the individual cell voltages on the Cellpro chargers during the charge process. And those cell voltages stay matched within a percent or two all through the charging procedure.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
I use one of these
http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/TP610CACDC.html
Or you could get one of these as an addon for use with most of the chargers out there
http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/TP205V.html
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 05-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi
I use one of these
http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/TP610CACDC.htmlTake care
Yours Hank
That looks nice, especially with the dual 100/220 VAC and 12-18 VDC inputs.

Mine requires a high powered power supply to get a high charging rate. Picked up a 25 Volt, 25 Amp power supply from www.mpja.com that does the trick. That's 625 watts.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #7
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
That looks nice, especially with the dual 100/220 VAC and 12-18 VDC inputs.

Mine requires a high powered power supply to get a high charging rate. Picked up a 25 Volt, 25 Amp power supply from www.mpja.com that does the trick. That's 625 watts.
Hi Denny
Its been working out very well
Im a big advocate of their batteries as well
At least 70 % of my battery packs are their brand
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 05-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
Tom Sawyer

Friends: (0)

Thanks for the advice, I would agree also that the packs have probably had thier day (I flew this morning and managed 'only' 15mins in the air against 35mins when the battery was new).

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers