Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)
Thumbs up New HK 9ch Spektrum compatible RX

Hobbyking has a new 9ch full range Spektrum compatible receiver.

Kind of different it has a single 195 mm antenna, they say so you can mount it anywhere, it also has TWIN SATELLITE PORTS

List price is $24.95 + shipping

It sounds decent so I figure I will try one.

I have had absolutely no trouble with my other HK Spektrum RX's, including the 4ch very tiny one, which has been nearly out of sight in a 6' electric glider.

If anyone wants to try one also, until May 28th you can use this code and get it for $21.18 + shipping,

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-0B13D22651E3

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA

bump

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

I'll wait and see what the "real world" testing turns up. I have a couple of the orange 6 channels - but use them in 3D foamy's that never get more than 100' out. Have a 6200 "clone" in a sailplane that (so far) is performing well.

The only birds I have 9 channels in now are fairly (hell - VERY) expensive, so the cost of a "legitimate" RX isn't an issue.

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)
Old 05-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
The only birds I have 9 channels in now are fairly (hell - VERY) expensive, so the cost of a "legitimate" RX isn't an issue.
Good point
That is the relative cost of a cheap receiver, compared to the total cost of your model.

Don't make much sense to put a $80 Spektrum receiver into a $60 model.

But on the other hand, putting a $20 receiver into a Kilowatt powerd model also does not make much sense.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Friends: (6)

Not sure what the "mission" of a cheap 9ch will be? (unless of course they prove to be 100% reliable). I don't think there's a $60 model out there that takes 9 channels - certainly nothing in my hangar.

I have two birds right now with 9 channels, a 50cc Ultimate biplane and a 111cc Katana. I'll wait for someone else to "proof" the new guy on the block first

Jeff/LAX
(don't panic - I don't land the planes)
(but I've been known to lie.....)
Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Not sure what the "mission" of a cheap 9ch will be? (unless of course they prove to be 100% reliable). I don't think there's a $60 model out there that takes 9 channels - certainly nothing in my hangar.

I have two birds right now with 9 channels, a 50cc Ultimate biplane and a 111cc Katana. I'll wait for someone else to "proof" the new guy on the block first
Where would you put a cheap 9 channel receiver?? Never thought of that!

DennyV
Old 05-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

I agree with all of you, I am trying this one because at $25 it is less than 1/2 the cost of the AR500 which is the cheapest full range RX, I know of. I need a long range RX for a 2ch glider.
I was going to use my AR7000 RX but it has started acting weird, I can turn my system on, and every thing is fine, next time I turn on, I get the steady light, which I think means a solid bind, but the servos do not even twitch as normal or move by transmitter command. My friend and flying buddy who owns the LHS says send it in, somethings wrong.

My other HK 2.4 RX's have worked perfectly. I have the small 4ch in a Mountain Models F-16, it has about 50+ flights on it, many at long distance, around my home, I could ask for no better control from any RX. I have the Orange 6ch RX's in other planes, and have had no trouble, I also have other clones, so far so good.

It is odd that the RX I am having trouble with is a true Spektrum unit, ordered direct from Spektrum by my LHS.

We don't need to fill up a RX with something in each channel, and I had just sold something on eBay for $105 when I was hoping for $40, so I figure I will try one.
I may do a long range ground test, using cell phones before I use this RX.

I guess I am the guinea pig for the rest of us, I will let you know how it proves out

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I was going to use my AR7000 RX but it has started acting weird, I can turn my system on, and every thing is fine, next time I turn on, I get the steady light, which I think means a solid bind, but the servos do not even twitch as normal or move by transmitter command. My friend and flying buddy who owns the LHS says send it in, somethings wrong.

I had that same exact problem with one of my AR7000 receivers four years ago. If you have access to a digital multimeter, set it to the resistance range, and check for continuity on all of the servo pins for the black (bottom) pins and the negative battery lead. Should all be a dead short on the lowest range of your meter between each and every one of the bottom row of pins, and the negative battery pin.

Then check for continuity again between each and every pin for all of the middle pins, and the middle battery pin. Also should be a dead short. Just flexing the pins back and forth with perhaps 8 ounces of force was enough to make or break the connection to the soldered holes.

Mine had a problem with the plated through hole on the circuit board that holds the servo connector. The plated through hole was not plated through. Spektrum replaced it back then. If you send it back to Spektrum be absolutely certain to put in a note on exactly what happened. Nothing worse than getting a piece of equipment back, with the note "It doesn't work", when you know that the receiver LED comes on but the servos are dead, as an example.

(I fixed electronic stuff at work for 45 years before retiring. And a lot of times we'd get stuff back with absolutely no information on what was wrong. These were $6000 controls for high voltage circuit breakers.)

DennyV
Old 05-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Thanks for the tips Denny, I have a lot of test equipment, from VOMs to scopes. I will do a careful test on it, and see if I can determine a pattern.

I know exactly what you mean about incomplete descriptions about problems, I hold a FCC general class licence, it was called a 2nd class FCC licence when I got it in 1972.

I discovered what was wrong with the JR8103 and Spektrum module combination, I sent Horizon Hobby an extremely detailed diagram of the problem, and they came to the same conclusion as I did, and fixed my TX's but didn't announce an advisory as I suggested.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
Thanks for the tips Denny, I have a lot of test equipment, from VOMs to scopes. I will do a careful test on it, and see if I can determine a pattern.

I know exactly what you mean about incomplete descriptions about problems, I hold a FCC general class licence, it was called a 2nd class FCC licence when I got it in 1972.

I discovered what was wrong with the JR8103 and Spektrum module combination, I sent Horizon Hobby an extremely detailed diagram of the problem, and they came to the same conclusion as I did, and fixed my TX's but didn't announce an advisory as I suggested.
Sounds good
Let us know what you find on your receiver.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros