Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
danielluarca

Friends: (0)
Default Hobby Lobby Super Miss Power System

Has anyone had any experience with Hobby Lobby's Super Miss power setup? I just finished mine using a GP .10 35-30-1250 Rimfire motor with a GP Silver Series 35A ESC, a 3S Lipo and a 10x6 Electric prop. Fearing that having the motor inside the plane it would not get proper cooling, I added an air scoop on the bottom part of the nose an exit holes on the bottom part of the fuselage some distance back from the servo tray.

However, when I tried the power setup before the maiden flight on my driveway, it seems that the engine overheated and burned (with smoke and all). Now it just twitches when you throttle forward (It still makes the beeping sounds when you have to arm the safety).

I dont know if Rimfire motors are designed to have a lot of more cooling than what I provided on this plane, but I guess that I need another motor that can run at a higher temperature, since according to Hobby Lobby and the manual (which, by the way, is really bad), the motor is mounted with out any type of air intakes or cooling.

What motor could I use using the same ESC and Battery?
Old 05-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

I'm not familiar with the super Miss or Rimfire motors, but I had an AXi 2212/34 3s LiPO and 10x7 slowfly prop in my Miss Stik Senior and the only cooling it had was the hole in the cowling for the shaft and it never more than warm, even when hovering WOT (yeah, it would hover!). You might try calling or writing AeroCraft RC, they're the company that puts together the kit.

An even better idea would be to write Tom Hunt who designed the plane in the first place. He usually hangs out in RCGroups. I posted a question (I asked for him in the title) about thrust angles when I was building my Miss and he answered it by the next day.

You can also bring up the member directory and PM him if you don't want to post a question.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
danielluarca

Friends: (0)

Thanks FlyWheel, I think I will try an AXI motor, although they are somewhat pricier than the Rimfires, they do seem a lot less ventilated than the motor that burned, maybe they are designed to run at higher temps.

I will also try your suggestion about asking the designer, because the reason I used the Rimfire was that the motor recommended on Hobby Lobby (Atlas 15 I recall) was listed as "Sold Out and Discontinued". Maybe he can tell me about an alternative before I go for the AXI.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

I'm not sure what the cowling on the Super looks like, but what I did with my Miss Sr. was to open the small flat bottom part of the cowling nose, as well as the part that the prop shaft fits through (I gave it a hle of about 1/2" or 1cm in diameter). Of course, my motor was reversed and screwed onto the firewall, so the cowling bore no weight other than it's own.

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft