Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
TylerJCooper

Club: Attempted to start an Omaha Park Club (Aeronuts)
Friends: (8)
Default RC Car Forums

I am starting to dabble in the dark side...

rc cars. I am also a newbie there, so I need some help. Does anyone work with this black arts? If so, what is a good place to get some help?

Thanks,
Tyler

Sir Isaac Newton had an apple, I have a plane.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
K CLOSE
Huge Member

View K CLOSE's Gallery35
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Hey Tyler,
Years ago I started out in R/C with cars and still have a few. Completely different shot then planes and fun in their own right. I have a deep love for the Tamya kits from my youth and enjoy the build as much as the use of the car. You can still get those kits (in fact I don't think anyone else makes kits), but most are RTR now. I would say figure out what your looking to do first. Rock crawler, street speedster, Stadium truck- all R/C cars but all very different. And if you enjoy the build aspect of the hobby you can't go too far wrong with whatever Tamya kit is on sale on the net. They aren't the top performers, but a lot of them are really great looking and they are all fun plus you get to build it. I currently have the Tamya Stadium Blitzer and the Alfa GTV as well as a RTR Duratrax that's faster and stronger then either one. I say grab the one that grab's you.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
TylerJCooper

K,

Thanks for your thoughts. I use to race buggy cars as a kid, then moved into planes. I really am interested into getting back to racing. I picked up a Traxxas Rustler off of craiglist and it has been a while, so I am a little out of date with the electronics. If you click on the hyper link above; I really am not sure which two of the motors I have are better, where to find a good cheap nimh "hump" battery, and all around advise for getting back into the black arts of RC car racing.

I really appreciate your feedback and look forward to any more you might have,
Tyler

Old 05-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
K CLOSE
Huge Member

View K CLOSE's Gallery35
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Sorry, didn't know that was a link (I'm kinda slow on this stuff). I thought you were a complete nubie to cars. I'll go read it now....
OK, on the speed controller if I remember correctly the 16t means it will control down to a 16 turn which is a mild to moderate motor
The Speed Gem motor goes from 19 turns down to 11, so your gonna have to find the model number on it to find out how many turns it is-both are likely gonna be about the same. As for your other questions those are beyond me, but I do own the same exact tape measure if that helps.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
TylerJCooper

Originally Posted by K CLOSE View Post
I remember correctly the 16t means it will control down to a 16 turn which is a mild to moderate motor
I raced a buggy, but didn't do any mods to it. You are already WAY ahead of me. What is a "16 turn"? Can you give me any info with the motors it came with?

Old 05-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
K CLOSE
Huge Member

View K CLOSE's Gallery35
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

OK, on the old brushed motors the "turns" is windings on the armature. The number and thickness of the windings effects performance. The lower the number the faster the motor. Higher windings with thicker wire is more efficient but slower from what I recall. Go too low and there is too much heat which then requires a better speed controller. It likely came with one of those motors you have stock, or at least not too far off from them as most hobbyist's want duration and performance. Speed costs run time with these cars from what I know. Maybe someone deeper into them then I ever was might chime in with something different....
I think NitroBlast ran cars, but I'm not 100% sure. Hit him with a PM.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Bald Paul

Friends: (0)

If you're just looking to mess around, then just about anything will do. If you plan on getting into some organized racing - first, find out IF there is any in your area. A lot of the clubs / shops that hosted races have closed up. People found out the reality of racing: speed costs money. Lots of it. Take it from someone who competitively raced 1/12th scale electric on-road (indoor carpet tracks in the winter) and 1/8th scale 4WD onroad nitro cars outdoors during the warmer months. Even went to the ROAR nationals one year. I watched the number of competitors at each event dwindle year to year until there were barely enough racers to put together one heat race. It got to the point where the clubs and shops weren't even breaking even on the costs of running the events, and it died out, at least in this area.
Most of the electric cars have gone over to brushless motors, which, of course, means everyone competitive is running Lipo packs and brushless speed controllers.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
TylerJCooper

They still have a strong racing crowd in Omaha. They do the dirt track two times a week and the carpet at least once a week. For $5, I can join the open class and race all day. Right now, I am trying to figure out which motor I have is better, where to get another cheap battery, and learn any insider tricks before I hit the dirt.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Bald Paul

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by TylerJCooper View Post
They still have a strong racing crowd in Omaha. They do the dirt track two times a week and the carpet at least once a week. For $5, I can join the open class and race all day. Right now, I am trying to figure out which motor I have is better, where to get another cheap battery, and learn any insider tricks before I hit the dirt.
Best thing you can do before plunking down your money would be to go down on race night, observe, talk to some of the competitors, and find out what the "hot setup" is for that particular track.

I will warn you - if you intend to be competitive, prepare to open your wallet. My last tire bill for a season of 1/8th scale onroad racing was $500. That was rubber only - not including rims. I won't even go into engines, chassis parts, bodies, etc. Flying planes is definitely more relaxing to me - mentally, and financially!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
TylerJCooper

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
I will warn you - if you intend to be competitive, prepare to open your wallet. My last tire bill for a season of 1/8th scale onroad racing was $500. That was rubber only - not including rims. I won't even go into engines, chassis parts, bodies, etc. Flying planes is definitely more relaxing to me - mentally, and financially!
Whoa! That is more money then I will spend on the new tires for my Ford Escape this summer. With a 9 month old boy, a wife that is 20 weeks preggers, and first love as a rc plane hobbyist I don't see me getting too crazy. My goal is to be a moving obstacle for the other cars. If I play my cards right, I might be able to sell myself out on race night to get in the competitors ways. Might even pay for my tire fees.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi Tyler
Outstanding
Its good to see that your trying different aspects of the hobby
As for me i operate them all, land sea and air
I have many land vehicles, cars trucks motorcyles etc street and off road from UM size and up electric and IC
What do you think interests you? once we narrow it down to a certain vehicle it will be easier to set up a package
Do enjoy
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 05-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
TylerJCooper

Hank,

Always enjoy your unique collections! I am running a Traxxas Rustler that I picked up off of craigslist. However, it doesn't have the stock ESC and it came with two motors. I currently don't know which one is better.

Here is my original post on RCGroups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439287

Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
TylerJCooper

Hank,

What kind of truck is that in the first video? Pretty sweet.

Tyler

Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Originally Posted by TylerJCooper View Post
Hank,

Always enjoy your unique collections! I am running a Traxxas Rustler that I picked up off of craigslist. However, it doesn't have the stock ESC and it came with two motors. I currently don't know which one is better.

Here is my original post on RCGroups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439287
Hi Tyler
Thanks
To choose a motor i would need to know what main gear and pinion is on the truck as that will affect the acceleration and top speed and will need to be matched propely for a good powerband
The tires you chose look good
And as Paul stated go and talk to the rc drivers at the track, nothing beats first hand knowledge and experiance
Taker care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat