Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)
Default IMAX B6-Pro Charger any good?

I have several chargers and none of them are very good ....read as sloooow. I do have a DC charger that is pretty good but I'd like a AC/DC charger so I can charge more easily at home. My DC does not have a plug, only alligator clips, so I'm thining a AC to DC power supply is out of the question.
I'm looking at this one.

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...13&item_id=197

I charge through the white connectors (balance plugs?) and this charger has one huge one. They also sell a multi plug adaptor

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...13&item_id=177

would I use that to charge my batteries? I use only small 1 cell, several different mAh 2 cell sizes, and some 3 cell of varioys mAh.

Anyone know about this charger? Is it capable of charging though the white plugs? Far as I know, they all do. BUT I'd hate to buy thinking one way and it turn out another. HELP?

edit: I should mention that price is a point of concern, so the ones that I've read about here on the forum are over my head.

Regards,
Don
Old 05-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi Don
That should serve your needs very well
I use one quite similiar as a back up for my main one
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6478
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 05-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
dkrhardy

Thanks Hank .... but my big question is will it/does it charge through the white plug as I'm doing with my DC charger? And I'll need the adapter lited above to do different cell # batts, right?
Old 05-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Thanks Hank .... but my big question is will it/does it charge through the white plug as I'm doing with my DC charger? And I'll need the adapter lited above to do different cell # batts, right?
Hi Don
You can find the manual here, do check it out it should answer your questions
http://www.imaxrc.com/Products.aspx?Para=8#
Take care dear friend

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 05-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
I have several chargers and none of them are very good ....read as sloooow. I do have a DC charger that is pretty good but I'd like a AC/DC charger so I can charge more easily at home. My DC does not have a plug, only alligator clips, so I'm thining a AC to DC power supply is out of the question.
I'm looking at this one.

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...13&item_id=197

I charge through the white connectors (balance plugs?) and this charger has one huge one. They also sell a multi plug adaptor

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...13&item_id=177

would I use that to charge my batteries? I use only small 1 cell, several different mAh 2 cell sizes, and some 3 cell of varioys mAh.

Anyone know about this charger? Is it capable of charging though the white plugs? Far as I know, they all do. BUT I'd hate to buy thinking one way and it turn out another. HELP?

edit: I should mention that price is a point of concern, so the ones that I've read about here on the forum are over my head.

Regards,
Don
The Cellpro line, like the Cellpro 4S are pretty good. (I've got the Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger) They can charge either through the battery power leads, or the battery balance leads. The Cellpro 4S is in the same ballpark, price wise, but is DC powered only. The Cellpro chargers do their charging by balancing the cells WHILE charging. (If one cell is way out of whack, this charger will bring it up first, before charging the "good" cells.
http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1215.pdf

You can pick up a AC/DC converter for a reasonable price.
www.mpja.com has a wide variety of AC/DC power supplies, like the one below:
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17824+PS
Or this one:
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16006+PS

These chargers are simple to wire up. Connect a 120 VAC piece of lamp cord to the power supplies marked AC input terminals, and connect your charger to its marked 12 VDC output. Might take 10 minutes, if you've never done it before.

If you're using small Lipo batteries, like perhaps under 500 milliampere hours, you could power the charger with a simple lead acid battery like those used for lawn tractors. But you'd also need a charger for that lead acid battery, so it would cost more than the power supply above.

It's a good idea to charge those Lipo's out side of the house anyhow.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I use 12v mains adaptors to my balance chargers that are supplied with alligator clip leads.
You can either plug into the same socket on charger as clip lead uses or if no socket - wire to the alligator clips.

Just make sure you get polarity right.

My mains adaptors are the ones supplied with 12v drills or rechargeable flashlights ... usually marked 12v up to 14.4v .... ( 14.4v is fine as that is what alternator on car is spec'd at - so your charger designed to run of car socket will take that fine ....)

Oh ... yes - nearly forgot .... if your 12v source - ie a car style battery is low or not full charged you will find charging of your cells slower .... so get that source battery charged up and keep it charged up ... you might be surprised at difference.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Oh ... yes - nearly forgot .... if your 12v source - ie a car style battery is low or not full charged you will find charging of your cells slower .... so get that source battery charged up and keep it charged up ... you might be surprised at difference.
Nice thing about my Cellpro Powerlab 8, the charge rate does not change, when varying the DC power input (provided by my 24 Volt DC, 25 Amp variable power supply) from 12 to 24 Volts DC. Don't know for certain, but suspect the Cellpro 4S is similar.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
dkrhardy

I ordered it. It is AC/DC so I can charge at home more easily. And yes I know not to do it IN the house! I'll let you know what I think of it when it gets here!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers