Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Night Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Night Flying Discuss night time aircraft illumination, methods and equipment.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

View Davethebluessinger's Gallery4
Club: Longdon Flying Club
Friends: (9)
Default Simple, Cheap remote switch for LEDS

HI, Decided I'd install a few 5mm diameter 6V LEDs into my 22" span wing for a little night flying. I was considering buying a switch to turn the lights on and off remotely but in the UK RC stuff is quite expensive so I decided I'd make my own using a 3g servo and a tiny microswitch (will post pics later). I just glued the switch to the side of the servo with hot melt glue and put a small self tapper in the end of the horn so that it rotates and depresses the switch when I hit the gear switch on my TX. Adjustment is made by screwing the self tapper in or out til it's in the right position. This works really well and only weighs around 6g total. I've wired the switch to the Deans on the plane side of the battery so the LEDs are connected as soon as the battery is installed (turned off untill I hit the switch) Can anyone advise me on whether taking the power from a spare channel on the RX would be a better solution? Total number of leds is 24 (12 colour changers on the bottom and 12 white on the top), could the RX supply the required power? The lLEDs have individual resistors in line.

Dave

EFlight Pulse XT, Durafly Dynamic S, MS Composit Swift II PZ Ember, Multiplex Fox Conversion, Air Rider Epower, Mini Mach racer, Seagull Pilatus PC9 Roulette

Growing old is inevitable but growing UP is optional!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (10)

How about using a cheap brushed (not brushless) ESC? Shouldn't cost you more than 10 USD. Just a thought... You probably need to do something to limit the maximum voltage, either by programming your TX or by adding some voltage controlling circuitry.

AMA #959089
Old 05-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,076 Times in 1,986 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Originally Posted by Davethebluessinger View Post
HI, Decided I'd install a few 5mm diameter 6V LEDs into my 22" span wing for a little night flying. I was considering buying a switch to turn the lights on and off remotely but in the UK RC stuff is quite expensive so I decided I'd make my own using a 3g servo and a tiny microswitch (will post pics later). I just glued the switch to the side of the servo with hot melt glue and put a small self tapper in the end of the horn so that it rotates and depresses the switch when I hit the gear switch on my TX. Adjustment is made by screwing the self tapper in or out til it's in the right position. This works really well and only weighs around 6g total. I've wired the switch to the Deans on the plane side of the battery so the LEDs are connected as soon as the battery is installed (turned off untill I hit the switch) Can anyone advise me on whether taking the power from a spare channel on the RX would be a better solution? Total number of leds is 24 (12 colour changers on the bottom and 12 white on the top), could the RX supply the required power? The lLEDs have individual resistors in line.

Dave
Hi Dave you did the right thing, and took a big electrical load off the receiver, I like your idea HK sells a receiver control switch that will work well too. and its rated at 10 amps Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8833

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 05-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
DragonWeezel

Friends: (1)
Default I use one of these:

I just use one of these:

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-DGSW5.html

It has a bunch of different modes on two output channels using only 1 rx channel. It's light, and can be modded lighter by shortening wires. In the case of my stryker, it just acts as an interupt on the (-) lead of the LED strips I use since they need 12V, but it can source 6v, and best of all, only 4Grams!

W/ my TX, and some mixing, I have 2 channels of light. The switch allows me to have 6 modes, + off.
Wings on, nose on
Wings on, nose off
Wings on, Nose blink<--- works great at night
Wings blink, nose on
wings blink, nose bilnk.
Wings off, nose on

Below is a link of the lights, but not w/ the switch installed. I'll be taking a video of that in the air probably this week. What you'll see is a White LED strip on the bottom, & "nose light" on one channel, and a Red / Green LED strip on the leading edge of the wings on the other.

The strips are inverted, (Faced into the wing) to make it glow from the bottom. This works out well, as it glows right through the wing w/ the white foam. It dampens the disorienting brightness of the LEDs too. The light set up can be seen here:
For a smaller plane, just use less LED's. The switch is pretty light weight, and they have even lighter ones if you can do some soldering (1/2 gram), but they are just on /off.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by Davethebluessinger View Post

Dave
You would need to know how much current those LED's are pulling out of your battery. Are these LED's all in "parallel" off of the battery, with individual resistors in series with each one? If so, what is the series resistor value?

Depending on the LED, most of them have about a 1.7 volt DC voltage drop when turned on. So your current would be your battery voltage, minus the 1.7 VDC divided by the resistor value in ohms.

As an example, with a two cell Lipo at 7.4 volts DC, and a 470 ohm resistor, your current would be (7.4-1.7)/470 or 0.015 Amps, 15 milliamperes. An exact way to measure the current would be to measure the voltage drop across one resistor. And the current can be calculated by I=E/R. If the resistor volts is 3.5 Volts DC, and the resistor value is 270 ohms, I = 3.5/270 or 0.0129 Amps or about 13 Milliamperes. (For each LED)

If all the LED's are in parallel, that would be 15 Ma times 25 or about 0.4 amps. If you're using a BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit) 0.4 amps could overload it, and shut down power to your radio while flying.

If you are using a two cell Lipo, you could put the LED's with two in series with the resistor, and stack up 12 sets like this.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
DragonWeezel

Friends: (1)

IDK what anyone elsee is doing, but w/ the lights I use, they are 12V capable, so I put them in Parallel w/ the battery by soldering the wires to the ESC connector, which I have found to be the greatest thing for 3 Cell planes.

The robo marketplace switch doesn't use hardly a drop of electricity, and this eliminates using the rx to power the lights.

I'm waiting on a cameraman to shoot some night vids. They'll be coming up soon now that W. WA summer has finally started.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
RCFlyer44

View RCFlyer44's Gallery2
Club: RC Wingers, Mooresville, NC
Send a message via Yahoo to RCFlyer44
Friends: (8)

This was three of us flying our Strykers with LEDs

Old 07-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Club: Mile High Club
Friends: (3)

Nice pic...If I were you...I'd frame a few and sell them on ebay!

Very unique!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Night Flying