Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-21-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)
Default PZ Plug & Play T-28D Trojan

Just picked up one of these - recommended by the local hobby shop as a Low Wing Trainer type. Went together fast and easy, that's for sure. They stock all replacement parts just in case LOL.

Anyone flying this plane? Any pointers?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...FUHr7Qoddh9vSg

Wolfe
Old 05-21-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

There's probably hundreds of owners in this board.
Its a easy flying bird with very nice flight characteristics.
Maneuvers are predictable and fairly easy to stay ahead of.
She's also quite durable which is a plus for any trainer.
Don't think she's a lazy maiden though as she can really move when she needs to.
Have fun with her.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

You made an excellent choice!

The first couple of flights, fly it at 2/3 - 3/4 throttle once you've taken off. It's not super fast, but it's much faster than most high-winged trainers, so you're better off increasing the speed gradually.

Landings need to be a little faster than with a traditional trainer. You want to come in at about 1/4 throttle and cut power when you're about a foot above ground. Dead stick landings tend to be very hard.

If you fly off a grass runway, you'll benefit greatly from bigger wheels. Get the P-47 wheels from parkzone. They pop right on an have just the right size to give you great performance on grass.

When you start playing with aerobatics, especially rolls, make sure you have tons of altitude. The roll rate is pretty slow with the stock throws and the wing doesn't have a symmetrical profile, so you'll lose a lot of altitude if you don't compensate with elevator and rudder during rolls. Once you're comfortable with the plane, you may want to move the pushrods one hole on the control horns to increase throws. But keep the stock settings while you're learning.

I don't know what transmitter you have, but it flies fine without expo if you keep it on low rates. I've dialed in about 30% expo at high rates, which allows me to land comfortably without having to switch to low rates in flight. It's probably fine without expo on high rates too, but now that I have it, I've gotten spoiled.

I get about 7 minutes out of my 1800 mAh batteries and maybe 10 minutes out of 2200 mAh and I fly pretty fast and aggressive. I'm sure you can get more if you're cruising. But don't fly until the LVC kicks in, as you'll probably land it pretty hard dead stick (and you wear out your LiPos).

You're going to have some serious fun with this bird! It's been my primary plane for a few months now, and I definitely haven't outgrown it. Good luck!

AMA #959089
Old 05-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
reef_rc

Friends: (0)

What's the best method to hand toss T-28 during take-off? Under the belly/behind the wing or on top over and right behind the wing?

i am comfortable tossing all my parkflyers due mostly lack of runway and the comfort the extra height gives me in case I need to compensate. However the belly is rather large for my hands. I am afraid it'll slip off when I put in 1/2 throttle or 2/3 during take-off.

thoughts? thx
Old 05-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #5
wolfewinde

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Really glad to hear you both like the plane.

I will probably wait for the maiden until I can join the flying club and use the runway - more flying space there anyway. If that goes well, then I will probably fly her at the local park whick is grass, so I think I will get bigger wheels.

Does the extra weight of the 2200 mah battery make much difference? I have both the 1800 and the 2200 - was wondering which one would be best.

I will be flying her with a Spectrum DX6i transmitter - which is also new, so I want to get some flights on a familier bird first with that radio. I have the dual rates currently set up at 50% LOw and 75% high with +25% expo on both. I also have a 25% rudder mixed in with the ailerons - which will be less since the rates are not at 100%

Reef - I can't help you with the hand launch problem since I haven't flown mine yet and I never hand launch anymore anyway. I think hand launching actually gives you less time to get control of the plane when something goes wrong. I would rather have both hands on the sticks when she lifts off and get some feel for the plane on the runway.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Wolfenwinde,

I can't say I notice any difference (except the longer flight times) with the 2200 mAh compared to the stock 1800 mAh pack. I keep them at about the same position.

As for the programming of you tx, there are others that are more qualified than me, but it seems reasonable.

AMA #959089
Old 05-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Originally Posted by reef_rc View Post
What's the best method to hand toss T-28 during take-off? Under the belly/behind the wing or on top over and right behind the wing?

i am comfortable tossing all my parkflyers due mostly lack of runway and the comfort the extra height gives me in case I need to compensate. However the belly is rather large for my hands. I am afraid it'll slip off when I put in 1/2 throttle or 2/3 during take-off.

thoughts? thx
When I hand launch the T28, I grab her right behind the main wings. Unless you have extremely small hands, a nice firm grip should be enough to hold her. I launch at an ever so slight upward angle and use full throttle. She'll take off at 3/4 throttle as well.

AMA #959089
Old 05-22-2011, 04:33 AM   #8
reef_rc

Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Really glad to hear you both like the plane.

I will probably wait for the maiden until I can join the flying club and use the runway - more flying space there anyway. If that goes well, then I will probably fly her at the local park whick is grass, so I think I will get bigger wheels.

Does the extra weight of the 2200 mah battery make much difference? I have both the 1800 and the 2200 - was wondering which one would be best.

I will be flying her with a Spectrum DX6i transmitter - which is also new, so I want to get some flights on a familier bird first with that radio. I have the dual rates currently set up at 50% LOw and 75% high with +25% expo on both. I also have a 25% rudder mixed in with the ailerons - which will be less since the rates are not at 100%

Reef - I can't help you with the hand launch problem since I haven't flown mine yet and I never hand launch anymore anyway. I think hand launching actually gives you less time to get control of the plane when something goes wrong. I would rather have both hands on the sticks when she lifts off and get some feel for the plane on the runway.
Let me know how your experience goes with the club and your maiden flight. I don't have much time for club as kids and work keep me busy and any free time I have has to be taken advantage of rather quickly. If I don't have to drive to an open area it's more time I'll have flying. Plus I live on an open golf course with access to the fairway so I have plenty of space to fly and some "golf cart" run way if there are not golfers on the course . That's the reason I like to hand toss my planes. i can do take offs on paved concrete but I'll have to watch out for golfers. I guess it'll depend on my comfort level at the time of flight.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #9
reef_rc

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
When I hand launch the T28, I grab her right behind the main wings. Unless you have extremely small hands, a nice firm grip should be enough to hold her. I launch at an ever so slight upward angle and use full throttle. She'll take off at 3/4 throttle as well.
Thx NJSwede. I'll keep that in mind and will try that and see how comfortable I am with that. Hopefully I can try early tomorrow morning if the winds stay low or at end of next week. Will have to see. The plane and settings are set so I am just waiting for the right time to try this out.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
wolfewinde

Good luck on your maiden, Reef. Let us know how it goes

Wolfe
Old 05-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
bthrel

Club: Hickman County Model Aviators
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I also use a tip from another forum, program the flap switch to add a little up elevator when the switch is set to deploy the flaps, I have used this successfully on my PT-19 as well. Starts the ship with some up elevator before you reach the stick. I launch right handed and grip behind the wing, toggle flap switch, full power, firm toss a degree or two above level and away it goes.

Cheers

Brian
Old 05-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

That's a fantastic piece of advice that I'm going to use on my Dynam A-10 right away! I was thinking of doing the same thing with trim, but a flap mix is a MUCH better idea! Thanks!

AMA #959089
Old 05-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
RCFlyer44

View RCFlyer44's Gallery2
Club: RC Wingers, Mooresville, NC
Send a message via Yahoo to RCFlyer44
Friends: (8)

T-28 was my first plane after getting back into the hobby after a 25 year hiatus and I still fly it, even at Fly-Ins. The picture was from last Saturday at a Fly-In in Charlotte, NC. First plane I flew that morning and I love flying just as much now as I did the first time I flew her. After being out of flying for so long it is needless to say she has had two motor mounts, a few props and some epoxy but still looks great. If it was balsa like my Sportster there I would have been out of the hobby again or still repairing or building a new plane!!! Love it!

Another tip -- About a month ago I notice the wing was a little loose from the fuselage even with the screw fully tightened so I put 4 little velcro points along the wing saddle, like a new tight wing again!!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #14
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Amen, RCFlyer44!

Every time I bring my T28 to the club field, I have some of the balsa-and-silk-paper old timers come up to me and exclaim "Is that a foam plane??!??! WOW! It flies fantastic!!!". Then I usually stare at them angrily until they say "Ok, it's not just the plane. The pilot is good too!".

But seriously, I keep getting compliments for the way that plane flies!

AMA #959089
Old 05-25-2011, 03:35 AM   #15
reef_rc

Good luck on your maiden, Reef. Let us know how it goes

Wolfe
Looks like Thursday is when I might take her out for her first flight. Given the windy conditions lately, flight time has been limited. I was able to get 1 flight in with my UM T-28 with rudder, elevator aileron and all today. I did thought twice as to whether or not I was REALLY ready for her big brother. Looks like only time will tell I guess.

2nd - since I opened my RealFlight this past weekend, I was able to get a few more stick time than otherwise would have if I hadn't. I am not impressed with RF from the depth/perception perspective. Maybe I am new to flight sim thing but depth perception doesn't work well for me on the computer. I find judging depth on the sim seems harder than it is when I actually fly outside. I know it's not my computer as my system is pretty solid (i7 930 8 GB RAM, 64 bit OS, dual ATI Radeon 5700, 3 24" Dell IPS monitors, 1920x1200 resolution).
Old 05-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
bthrel

Dont worry Reef, if you can handle the UM T28 her big brother will be a snap. The bigger bird fly's much better and is much less twitchy.. Just be sure to dial in a little expo and stay a few mistakes high till you get comfortable.

Happy Flying

Brian

P.S> I love my T28's UM and T28D. The T-28D always goes to the field mo matter what else does and its always the first one up in the air.. Its so smooth and fun to fly.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #17
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Hi Reef, just wanted to mention that's a normal problem with the sims. They're good for learning what to do with your fingers, but without the depth perception and peripheral vision, it makes things a bit more challenging. Enjoy your T-28!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #18
wolfewinde

Swede - I took your advice and ordered the new wheels for the Trojan. You were right - these will work a lot better off grass which is where I will eventually fly her most - if she handles well enough at medium speeds and doesn't hasve to come in too fast to land - looks like she should be OK with all that.

Batteries also came yesterday - so this one is ready to maiden - question is if the pilot is ready to maiden LOL.

Wolfe
Old 05-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #19
bthrel

Wolfe,

Could you post a pic with the P47 wheels? I fly almost exclusively off grass, no problems landing, but takeoffs are hard so I usually hand launch, taxiing is out of the question. Can you taxi with the p47 wheels?

Thanks

Brian
Old 05-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #20
wolfewinde

I am pretty sure she will taxi OK with the wheels Swede recomended if the grass isn't too long - at least enough to take off and land. I think these must be 2 & 1/2 inch wheels, and fairly thick. My other plans do fine with wheels that size that are thinner than these.

Will try to figure out how to post a pic LOL

Wolfe
Old 05-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #21
reef_rc

OK guys I finally bit my teeth today, prayed and head dive into 4 channels and took sweet little T-28 on her maiden flight. Not sure when our third date will be however; I'll explain shortly.

The short of it is that today's weather is sunny with little wind. Since I've been on the edge on this 4 channels thing for sometime and wasn't sure I was ready. I decided last night I was going to go full speed into this thing like everything else I'm into. Besides preparing sweet little T-28 for her maiden flight last night, I also prepared my red and twitchy HZ Piper J-5 cub last night with 4 channels. I've been using her as 3 channel since I got her a while back and was hesitant to go 4 channels since she's too twitchy to try on first. We'll last night I said what the hell. Worst case I break a few hearts and parts in the process of experimenting.

I tried HZ Piper J-5 first early this morning and everything went great. I must have gone through 8-10 battery packs with her before all things the glue came off of her wing struts. Luckily I had just landed and saw the issue. Right then I knew I was going to have to "just do it" man and take little sweet T-28 out.

T-28 first maiden flight was almost uneventful but I have to say WOW...WOW...WOW. This thing is smooth and so balance. Not what I had expected at all. Takeoff was smooth. I did the run way thing since I went to a soccer field instead of usual spot on the golf course which I would had to hand toss her. Initially I had thought me being booted off the golf course this morning by one golf course employee was going to be my big event for today. On the first landing I brushed the left wing due mostly to fact I was not expecting her to come in so fast and over shot the area where I wanted to land. Luckily nothing was damage other than the wing bottom on the fuselage had to be taped in as it got loose in the impact.

T-28 2nd flight was also almost uneventful similar to the first. Everything was great. I was flying inverted without issues. Turns using aileron and rudder were relatively smooth for a beginner. It wasn't until I brought her in for the 2nd landing that the "Ooops" happened. Again I over judged her speed and had to do several low circles so I could land and on the 3rd circle, i was already too close to the ground and as I was making the last turn in, she dived into the ground and broke head of the fuselage as shown below. This is a big beginner mistake. Should have known better...lesson learned now. Next time, just overshoot and make big loop around instead of trying too hard to turn and land.

Over all I am so excited and pumped on making this big leap successfully. I say it was successful because I flew two planes today and had great fun doing it even thought my nerves and muscle were on needles the whole time. I had T-28 flying for 16-18 minutes and lost count how many times I flew HZ Piper. With time I am sure I'll relax more.

Anyway that's the short and long of it with my first date with sweet little T-28 and some. Luckily I have an extra fuselage for situation like this so my "Ooops" downtime is kept to a minimum. Looking forward to bring her back up later again today since the weather is so nice.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01073 copy.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	148716 I have have broken her heart :^(

Name:	DSC01074 copy.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	148717

Name:	DSC01082 copy.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	148718 Taped end wing to fuselage

Name:	DSC01080 copy.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	148719 Little sweet T-28 and HZ Piper J-5 Cub

Name:	DSC01081 copy.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	148720 Glue not so good.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #22
bthrel

Good job Reef,

Save that extra fuse, glue her back together, its easy with these foam birds. Then, once you confidence and skills are up some, then swap out the glued one for the new one.

When I was learning I was fortunate to have a field where I could do straight in approaches and not have to turn low and slow. Get her back together, then go up a few mistakes high and practice some imaginary slow approach turns to see what happens and how to correct.

Get back up there man

Cheers

Brian
Old 05-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #23
wolfewinde

Heya Reef - Grats on the success my man. Sounds like you really did quite well despite that little crash at the end. Glad ti hear she flys well. Mine goes up in the air this weekend , I think, if the weather is good. Hope I do as well as you did.

That fuse looks pretty easy to fix.

Wolfe
Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #24
reef_rc

Heya Reef - Grats on the success my man. Sounds like you really did quite well despite that little crash at the end. Glad ti hear she flys well. Mine goes up in the air this weekend , I think, if the weather is good. Hope I do as well as you did.

That fuse looks pretty easy to fix.

Wolfe
Thanks Wolfe. Landing skills at high speed are not my best skill yet.

BTW - After replacing the fuselage and checking everything to make sure she's trimmed, I took her back out this evening for two more fantastic flights around the same soccer field earlier in the day. Both flights and landings went great. No damages or scrapes. On my 2nd landing, I received multiple claps from the several audiences watching me fly. Like the first two flights, my landing were long but this time I set her up correctly and just let her ride it out till she stops. Wish T-28 had flaps to slow down.

Broken fuselage - I am definitely not throwing it out. I plan to glue it back together tomorrow and let it sit so it cure correctly. I just couldn't wait 24 hours given the nice weather and wind conditions.

Good luck on yours this weekend if weather holds for you. I hope to add additional flights under my belt if weather holds in my area as well.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #25
reef_rc

Originally Posted by bthrel View Post
Good job Reef,

Save that extra fuse, glue her back together, its easy with these foam birds. Then, once you confidence and skills are up some, then swap out the glued one for the new one.

When I was learning I was fortunate to have a field where I could do straight in approaches and not have to turn low and slow. Get her back together, then go up a few mistakes high and practice some imaginary slow approach turns to see what happens and how to correct.

Get back up there man

Cheers

Brian
Thanks Brain. I will definitely take my time gluing her back. But I did end up using the new fuselage just b/c my damn addiction to flying is so out of control right now and I am loving every minute of it .

As you may have read above, I my other two landings went well even though both landings were long compare to my Super Cub and HZ piper J-5.

btw - i did practice the imaginary landing later in my flights just before I had to land and it helped.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers