Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
reef_rc

Friends: (0)
Default Electrifly Super Sportster Rx-R as "classic" second plane?

Just curious if others have tried this bird and what is your experience?

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma6006.html

Thought maybe this is may be a good 4 channel trainer plane instead of my T-28. thoughts?

btw - I already ordered mine earlier this morning so my impluse is faster than my desire for more research apparently .

I am hoping this will arrive in time and I can then make a decision as which one to sacrifice...I mean first to try as my first 4 channel park flyer plane...next week if I don't already take my T-28 out first.

thx

thx
Old 05-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)

Heya Reef,

Funny - I had the same thought in reverse. I had just ordered the sportster then picked up the trojan at the local hobby shop. I am guessing the sportster might be a touch easier to fly, but they should both be good airplanes.

Wolfe
Old 05-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
RCFlyer44

View RCFlyer44's Gallery2
Club: RC Wingers, Mooresville, NC
Send a message via Yahoo to RCFlyer44
Friends: (8)

I have the Super Sportster EP and LOVE IT, flies great and lots of aerobatics, only recommendation for that plane is to not get the recommended Electrifly 45amp SS ESC. It is not programable and if you power up quickly from a zero throttle setting it locks up and you have to throttle all the way down quickly and then back up smoothly. Can't change the timing on that ESC. Get a Turnigy Plush 40A ESC
Old 05-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
reef_rc

Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Heya Reef,

Funny - I had the same thought in reverse. I had just ordered the sportster then picked up the trojan at the local hobby shop. I am guessing the sportster might be a touch easier to fly, but they should both be good airplanes.

Wolfe
How funny...I guess like minds think a like .
Old 05-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

I'm sure it's a lovely plane, but I don't really see the point in getting another low-wing trainer if you already own a T28. If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend you spend the money on a simulator instead. Phoenix has an extremely good rendition of the T28.

AMA #959089
Old 05-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
reef_rc

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I'm sure it's a lovely plane, but I don't really see the point in getting another low-wing trainer if you already own a T28. If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend you spend the money on a simulator instead. Phoenix has an extremely good rendition of the T28.
Good point. Unfornately the addiction kicked in faster than the mind, hands and wallet when it comes this stuff. I think this gives me a little variety.

btw- i've just opened RealFlight G5.5 I got a few weeks back but just didn't have time try it out. I would have gotten Phoenix but discount and rebate on RF was better. Looking forward to sitting down with this before taking either one out for its first flight.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
reef_rc

Originally Posted by RCFlyer44 View Post
I have the Super Sportster EP and LOVE IT, flies great and lots of aerobatics, only recommendation for that plane is to not get the recommended Electrifly 45amp SS ESC. It is not programable and if you power up quickly from a zero throttle setting it locks up and you have to throttle all the way down quickly and then back up smoothly. Can't change the timing on that ESC. Get a Turnigy Plush 40A ESC
I believe ESC comes pre-installed with the RxR so it'll have to do for now i guess. I tried looking for specific it but but the description is pretty generic.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
RCFlyer44

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I have gotten the hint recently that the Phoenix sim is high on the list for a Father's day present....SWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
RCAV8T0R
Feeding the RC Addiction

Default GPSS Rx-R: Great Fun Park Flyer

Originally Posted by reef_rc View Post
Just curious if others have tried this bird and what is your experience?

...electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma6006.html

Thought maybe this is may be a good 4 channel trainer plane instead of my T-28. thoughts?

btw - I already ordered mine earlier this morning so my impluse is faster than my desire for more research apparently .

I am hoping this will arrive in time and I can then make a decision as which one to sacrifice...I mean first to try as my first 4 channel park flyer plane...next week if I don't already take my T-28 out first.

thx

thx
Maiden flight for mine was last Sunday in windy conditions here in So Cal. I flew it once as the wind was blowing steady around 12 - 15 mph and was gusting even harder at the field, especially when I wanted to land. What's worse it was a 90-degree cross wind to the runway. Not the ideal conditions for a first flight but I was anxious to get it in the air after prepping it earlier in the week. Got it down safely but it wasn't very smooth and like they say...all's well that ends well...

I'm a novice RC pilot that's transitioned from a twitchy 4-channel high-wing Cessna. From my perspective, I would say it's more than a low-wing trainer. It's a capable sport plane that can be used to learn aerobatics. I've been flying a F3A pattern plane with a 35" wingspan lately and that plane's design is much more sensitive to control inputs that the GPSS Rx-R is.

The GPSS Rx-R is a well-balanced park flyer. The CG was spot on as called out in the manual. The take-off was smooth and solid, no wandering or dipping. Once in the air it has very predictable and stable flight characteristics. Tracks well and carves turns without needing much up elevator input to keep the nose pointed in the direction you want it to go. Didn't really get a chance to test the vertical climb rate but it did large loops just fine and it pulled up well without losing much speed.

Although it's not very fast (yet), nor was it meant to be in stock trim, it did handle the wind very well. Still it's a fairly small and light plane as it did get pushed around by the turbulent winds but that's to be expected.

I flew mine stock except for using a 25C 3S 1800 mAh battery and I did switch the non-equal length rudder and elevator servo arms. The rudder servo arm is longer than the elevator's and (to me) the elevator throw is not nearly enough. After bench testing it, it seemed the rudder had too much travel whereas the elevator did not, maybe barely 20 degrees of deflection. I merely swapped the servo arms and did an EPA on my Airtronics SD-6G radio to lengthen out the rudder travel to compensate for the switch.

After only one flight it's easy to tell this plane is begging for hop ups (I really enjoy that part of the hobby, too). Soon I'm going to try a larger prop. It comes with a 9x6SF and I've got a 10x7SF to try out. If that set up pulls too much current or if there's too much torque, I might have to try another smaller prop. Or, I might drop in a larger motor and ESC. That's on the to do list anyway.

This is my first Great Planes/Electrifly model and I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of this GPSS Rx-R aircraft. I've had my share of off-brand RTF's and other no-name receiver-ready models that left a lot to be desired but this foam flyer is much different.

Excellent fit and finish, lots of attention to detail, nice pre-applied decals, and I like the use of the plywood for the battery tray and mating surfaces. It has a stout landing gear and that's a big plus in my book. The only problem I had during assembly was that the spinner back plate hole was too small for the supplied prop adapter so I had to drill it out to make it fit.

I've got a feeling this GPSS Rx-R is going to get quite a lot of air time in the very near future...
Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
RCAV8T0R
Feeding the RC Addiction

Default GPSS Rx-R

Doesn't the (red) GPSS ARF only have three servos? I noticed that on the GP website when I was researching the Rx-R and that seemed strange to me for a larger sport plane.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
RCAV8T0R
Feeding the RC Addiction

Default GPSS Rx-R

For the smaller GPSS Rx-R, it must have a 18A or 20A ESC based on the recommended 1250-1300 mAh battery size, plus the motor is quite small in size. No specs are out for the Rx-R yet since it is so new but I've been checking Great Planes, Tower and Omni to find out what they are.

Also, the stock Electrifly ESC has a "unique" arming sequence after connecting the battery. You must have the throttle stick in the lowest (off) position, wait for the beep, move it to the highest (full up) position, wait for the beep, and then move it back to the off position and wait for two beeps.

You don't have to do it in any certain time period either. Just have to move the throttle up and then down to complete the arming process.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #12
RCFlyer44

Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
Doesn't the (red) GPSS ARF only have three servos? I noticed that on the GP website when I was researching the Rx-R and that seemed strange to me for a larger sport plane.
It does only have three servos, not really strange, all the Trainers I built back in the 80s had the same set up where one servo was enough for both ailerons and works great for this plane as well.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
RCFlyer44

For the smaller GPSS Rx-R, it must have a 18A or 20A ESC based on the recommended 1250-1300 mAh battery size, plus the motor is quite small in size. No specs are out for the Rx-R yet since it is so new but I've been checking Great Planes, Tower and Omni to find out what they are.

Also, the stock Electrifly ESC has a "unique" arming sequence after connecting the battery. You must have the throttle stick in the lowest (off) position, wait for the beep, move it to the highest (full up) position, wait for the beep, and then move it back to the off position and wait for two beeps.

You don't have to do it in any certain time period either. Just have to move the throttle up and then down to complete the arming process.
Yes I did like the arming feature, great safety idea for other ESC manufacturers to follow. However the issue I had with the timing is not worth keeping that feature. I did write to Electrify and Tower Hobbies and I will say even though Tower will not refund for ESCs that have been used, once he saw the video of my problem and Electrifly's response to get an ESC where the timing can be programmed they gave me merchandise credit for the ESC, so kudos to Tower Hobbies for standing behind their products. They are going to reconsider recommending this ESC for that particular plane as well.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:30 AM   #14
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

Back to the OP's question. I don't have one but my friend just got one. I looked at it today and for a foam plane it looks very well made. The rcvr box and the batt box are ply! Not molded plastic like most foam planes. Lots of room and overall very good. My friend was disappointed, he had not read the add very well and expected a balsa plane. I offered to buy it and he chuckled and said he'd keep it. Looks good for a foam!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:42 AM   #15
reef_rc

Looks like I will be getting mine this Thursday if Mr. Brown is on scheduled. Can't wait to put her together and hopefully take her out Friday morning if the weather hold. Just to be safe, I did order additional parts just in case my time with her doesn't go so well first time around. I was looking to fly her first before taking out my T-28. This was based on the fact that the Electrifly Super Sportster is half the price of the T-28 and if an oops happen to occur, it's only 1/2 painful (financially and pride).
Old 05-26-2011, 02:05 AM   #16
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

Reef - get your fingers working on a plane you know! Then maiden the new one. Hate to see you all tight and "splash" the new one!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 AM   #17
wolfewinde

LOL - I am having the same thoughts, Reef - better to crash the cheaper airplane. My Sportster hasn't showed up yet, though, and the T-28 is ready to go - trying to be patient. The Sportster should be here this weekend.

Well, with a little luck we won't crash either one of them anytime soon.

Wolfe
Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #18
Gofer303

Club: Twin Cities Eagle Squadron CB Iowa
Send a message via Skype™ to Gofer303

RCAV8T0R
That is how my old beech craft stagger wing armed if you were in a hurry it seemed to take a long time to arm. It was the only one I have had like that.

Honor Student majoring in Crashology! Flying Thunder Air Field says" May the Thrust be with YOU"
Old 05-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #19
RCAV8T0R
Feeding the RC Addiction

Default Set the Throws

Looks like I will be getting mine this Thursday if Mr. Brown is on scheduled. Can't wait to put her together and hopefully take her out Friday morning if the weather hold. Just to be safe, I did order additional parts just in case my time with her doesn't go so well first time around. I was looking to fly her first before taking out my T-28. This was based on the fact that the Electrifly Super Sportster is half the price of the T-28 and if an oops happen to occur, it's only 1/2 painful (financially and pride).
Friday's almost here...

Don't forget to set the throws initially as per the manual. I'm not sure what radio you're using but for the maiden I would recommend limiting the amount of travel and deflection for the first few flights as stated in the manual. After that, you could experiment with more aggressive settings.

I have an Airtronics SD-6G 2.4 ghz programmable radio so I used dual rates and expo on mine (not following the manual, just by eye and feel). I used low rates for take-off and (an attempted) landing. Then switched to high rates after she was airborne for more response.

I can't recall right now but I think I programmed about 35% expo for elevator and ailerons and 25% for rudder in low rates. Less than that for each in high rates.

Good luck on your maiden...
Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #20
reef_rc

Friday's almost here...

Don't forget to set the throws initially as per the manual. I'm not sure what radio you're using but for the maiden I would recommend limiting the amount of travel and deflection for the first few flights as stated in the manual. After that, you could experiment with more aggressive settings.

I have an Airtronics SD-6G 2.4 ghz programmable radio so I used dual rates and expo on mine (not following the manual, just by eye and feel). I used low rates for take-off and (an attempted) landing. Then switched to high rates after she was airborne for more response.

I can't recall right now but I think I programmed about 35% expo for elevator and ailerons and 25% for rudder in low rates. Less than that for each in high rates.

Good luck on your maiden...
RCAV8T0R - The weather was so nice today that I just bit my teeth earlier this morning and took both T-28 and HZ Piper J-5 out today. I just posted my good and not so good first time on 4 channels today on another post on T-28. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62136

Even with the not all so happy ending earlier, I am looking forward to getting Super Sportster Rx-R. I figured this will give me a very good comparison on this versus T-28 versus HZ Piper J-5. So far T-28 is a solid winner (landing issue is a pilot issue ).

Radio - I am using DX8 but have used very little of its features. My DX6i was loaded between heli and planes I had to get another with unlimited storage option. I not sure I completely understand throws, expo, dual rates or low rates but I believe I am using some of them to certain extent on all my planes and definitely helis instead the house. I just haven't picked up all the right jargons and terms yet.

I do always set the rates low to make thing easier and docile for my skill level and gradually increase them as I get comfortable. On the T-28, I set aileron @ 40%, elevator @ 75%, rudder @ 30% and find it very comfortable for my first two and limited flight today. On the HZ Piper I have similar settings: aileron @ 40%, elevator @ 70% and rudder @ 40%. The behavior was very predicable as when I was on 3 channels. Sounds like this is what you are saying.

However I don't believe I am using any expo. One, I am not sure what it really is used for or how I can use it based on my settings. Two the settings I have seems to be working for me. I do plan to start using EXPO on my Super Cub now that i am advancing slightly with my skills.

I also do set the switches for different things higher percentage wise for setting of 1 and 2 for all the above items I mentioned. I have yet to used them since I still working and concentrated on the low settings I set in.

I will keep you posted. I checked the weather earlier and it might be windy tomorrow so I am not sure when I'll be able to take the Sportster out tomorrow.

Thanks for your input. I will have to review all posts here before taking the Sportster out to ensure I've covered all the basics.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #21
RCAV8T0R
Feeding the RC Addiction

RCAV8T0R - The weather was so nice today that I just bit my teeth earlier this morning and took both T-28 and HZ Piper J-5 out today. I just posted my good and not so good first time on 4 channels today on another post on T-28. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62136

Even with the not all so happy ending earlier, I am looking forward to getting Super Sportster Rx-R. I figured this will give me a very good comparison on this versus T-28 versus HZ Piper J-5. So far T-28 is a solid winner (landing issue is a pilot issue ).
Always good to have more than one plane with you. Usually it ensures you can get some flight time in even if you experience difficulties with any of the others.

Radio - I am using DX8 but have used very little of its features. My DX6i was loaded between heli and planes I had to get another with unlimited storage option. I not sure I completely understand throws, expo, dual rates or low rates but I believe I am using some of them to certain extent on all my planes and definitely helis instead the house. I just haven't picked up all the right jargons and terms yet.
Been there as well. Fortunately for me, I have a good friend who is very knowledgeable and is also a skilled RC aviator who has schooled me on electrics, radios and flying techniques.

I do always set the rates low to make thing easier and docile for my skill level and gradually increase them as I get comfortable. On the T-28, I set aileron @ 40%, elevator @ 75%, rudder @ 30% and find it very comfortable for my first two and limited flight today. On the HZ Piper I have similar settings: aileron @ 40%, elevator @ 70% and rudder @ 40%. The behavior was very predicable as when I was on 3 channels. Sounds like this is what you are saying.
Using dual-rates for reducing the total amount of servo throw is essential for certain aspects of flying. It helps lower the chance of too much control (pilot) input.

However I don't believe I am using any expo. One, I am not sure what it really is used for or how I can use it based on my settings. Two the settings I have seems to be working for me. I do plan to start using EXPO on my Super Cub now that i am advancing slightly with my skills.
Exponential is a great feature. It's helpful for not overcontrolling, meaning moving the control surfaces too much and too quickly. Expo desensitizes the stick movement so it's not a linear or 1:1 ratio, rather it softens (reduces) the speed of movement of the particular control surface. This is very helpful (for me) on take-off and landing, along with using low-rates. However, expo can also increase the speed of the control surface so you need to pay attention to that as well to avoid making it even more sensitive.

Reason I say this is because different manufacturers have different values to either reduce (or heighten) control surface movement when using expo. Some have positive numbers to slow it down and others use negative ones. Best to consult your radio's Owner's manual to find out how your particular radio works.

I also do set the switches for different things higher percentage wise for setting of 1 and 2 for all the above items I mentioned. I have yet to used them since I still working and concentrated on the low settings I set in.
I like to play around with my stuff, like going with 5-channels for flaperons and then using flap/elevator mix feature. I'm not worried about messing the settings up, either. You can confirm you have made the proper adjustment when you bench test it prior to getting to the field. The only other word of caution is pre-flight, pre-flight & pre-flight before attempting take-off with any of your planes.

I've made some silly mistakes my self like not triple-checking to see I've got everything squared away like calling up the right model for the plane I'm going to fly. Had a difficult time flying one of my planes as the aileron controls were reversed because I wasn't aware that I was using another plane's settings, and yes, my radio allows this to happen. Found this out too late after I already had it in the air and down she went. I realized later that I could've used the rudder to control her to land but I didn't remember that in time...

I will keep you posted. I checked the weather earlier and it might be windy tomorrow so I am not sure when I'll be able to take the Sportster out tomorrow.

Thanks for your input. I will have to review all posts here before taking the Sportster out to ensure I've covered all the basics.
No problem. Have fun with your new GPSS Rx-R. I'm hoping I can burn through a few batteries in my Rx-R during the long weekend.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #22
reef_rc

Default She's here.

Mr. Brown didn't failed today. She arrived late afternoon. I did manage to put her together while I also fixing the T-28 this afternoon. Made one final check this evening in case I am able to take her out tomorrow.

Overall I am impressed with this bird. Quality seems to be there as RCAV8T0R had mentioned. I especially love the bright rainbow like colors. This too is my first great planes / electrifly airplane and I can say right now I will buy more planes from them if the flight is as good as the quality I am seeing.

I did have to make minor modification to the battery plugs. I converted them to EC5 plug so they fit my other batteries I use with the Super Cub.

2nd modification - I added some velcro straps on the plane to hold the battery in place instead of add velcor to every battery. You can see the velcro in the picture (it's grey).

In the process of putting on the tail stabilizer, I broke the plastic hook thing that hook up to the tail. Unlike other models and manufacture, i just couldn't figure out how to loosing the darn thing so I can manually trim the elevator and end up breaking the plastic clip. Luckily I have Macgyver skills and improvise with fishing lines so the elevator lap wouldn't loosen up during flight. If there were any major issues or flaw with this bird it would be the two plastics clip which on the rudder and elevator. They're darn hard to figure out.

Another thing - I had to loose some metal screws to trim elevator and aileron. Should I have used lockit or something to keep them tight? I have some but didn't use it since i wasn't sure. I am afraid they may get loose over time if I don't so I may redo them later. thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01086 copy.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	148747   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01090 copy.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	148748   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01091 copy.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	148749  
Old 05-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #23
wolfewinde

Hi Reef,

Grats on the new bird. Mine has not shown up yet.

If you are talking about the little screws that tighten down on the push rods, I never use anything on those - they seem to stay tight - just check them now and then. I don't think I would want to put locktight on those - might be hard to get them loose without damaging the plane.

Wolfe
Old 05-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #24
wolfewinde

Oh, and another thing,.

I usually use foam scraps glued inside the battery area to create a " battery compartment" that I can just press fit the battery into. Just be careful you don't cut off too much air flow over the battery. I hate velcro. U can get an insulating foam tube for PVC pipes at the hardware store real cheap and it will be enough to last you forever. Good for wrapping recievers in also.

If you can put some foam between the battery and the motor compartment, it will cushion the battery on a crash when it tries to slide forward - helps save batteries and minimize the damage they do as they try to exit the front of the plane LOL

Wolfe
Old 05-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #25
RCAV8T0R
Feeding the RC Addiction

Default GPSS Rx-R Prep

reef_rc,

Yep, those little keeper clips stumped me too. I tried to take one off and did the same thing. When I was fumbling with them I found out they release ahead of the 'L' bend on the control rod since the "clip" is slotted there. To me, they could've used a better threaded clevis system but that's really the only gripe I have, at least right now.

Using threadlocker is always a good idea on metal to metal connections like the ones on the servo arms that lock in the control rods. I also used a Velcro strap and placed self-stick Velcro strips on the batteries and on the battery tray to hold them in place.

It's a smooth flying plane and I'll bet you're already at the field so let us know how your day of flying went...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers