Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Beginners - Helis
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)
Default Honeybee King II

Hi all,
One of the reasons I enjoy wattflyer is truely the foks here. I am sure I ask a lot of repetiirive questions and no one here flames me or anyone else for it or makes me feel dumb in any way. I love that so to all of you I say Thanks. So here goes another question. I recently bumped into a friend who had found out that I had been learning to fly my super cub airplane and also heard that I had been looking into all things RC. He offered to sell me his Honeybee King 2 RTF kit for a mere 50 dollars (I think it was a good deal who am I to know) all I had to purchase was a new motor at apx 10 dollars plus S/H. Well I thought to myself why not seemed like a good deal to me. So I did it and am researching an order for the motor. Any how with that said. What is your opinion on this type of Heli? Anyone own it? Make a good or bad first time Heli? Since it a 3d Heli, Should I leave it on the shelf and wait for more experience with Helis? Just curiouse, I have heard both the good the bad and the ugly about this Heli and wanted some real honest opinions and where else would I get it but right here. I have also quoted Hank who gave some real good stuff to tom and it is a really good read. Hank you are daman and to Chelle you ar dawoman.
Eagerly awaiting you thoughts
Fishbonez

Oh by the way Im clueless too Helis other than a cobra indoor Heli I got for christmas which is actually realy fun.

<quote>
Hi Tom
Pleased to meet you
Your best and easiest option is to find an instructor besides the flight training having some one with knowledge to help with the setting up and trimming before flight is invaluable
Thats the hardest part normally for the novice
If not and you have to learn on your own
Heres Heli flight school and how i learned to fly with a CP PRO 6 years ago
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
Do use training gear until you feel comfortable operating them
http://www.helitown.com/TrainningGear.html
Get a good sim and practice, practice, practice, i like Phoenix for helis
http://www.phoenix-sim.com/welcome.htm
No 1 rule if you get into trouble cut the throttle, better to have the heli drop then thrash around
And do practice extreme caution while operating RC Helicopters as once they reach a certain size and power the rotor blades on these can damage property and inflict serious even fatal injuries if not treated with the proper respect and safety procedures
Best of luck with your heli flight training
Take care
Hank
Old 05-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Well,
did not get too many replies on this thread. Can not be a good sign. I did order the motor and it should be here tomorrow or the next day. However with the very few replies I would assume that it is safe to say I better put this one on the shelf for a while.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Where is Hank?, haven't seen him for a while now, he might be on vacation!!
Someone here will surely answer, sometimes it just takes a bit longer on a holiday wknd.

have a good one
cr
Old 05-31-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
cbatters
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

I have this same heli along with a half dozen others. With some good training gear it is is a reasonable first heli but much harder than a coax like a CX2. it is also a belt drive so it is more complex to tune than a CP Pro that has an electric tail rotor.

I generally recommend a coax as a first heli - lots to learn with just the coax and plenty of time to advance to more complex heli after you have mastered basic orientation on a coax.

Just make sure to get some training gear and do some readiNg before attempTing to fly the king.

Clint

Current - Ventura, HZ SuperCub-Freedom-Swift-AB3, PZ Typhoon, T-28 Trojan, Radian, AeroAce Biplane
Maiden - F-27C Stryker
10 years Ago - ElectroSoar 2M Glider, 2M Foam Glider, Mirage 550
Retired - Sky Fly, Red Hawk, Extreme, Challenger

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Beginners - Helis