Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Seaplanes E-Powered Discuss electric powered seaplanes here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
**neons**

Club: Joined Bristol County RC Club. Dartmouth, MA 1-2010
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (2)
Default Kawanishi H8K2 "Emily" Flying Boat

I have been building a large "Emily" and have posted the started plane in Scratchbuilt Foamies Forum in RC Groups.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417974

The build log has been going well into month #2 now. I think I am approaching 3/4's done at this time. It has not been built too much from my researching in the past. I have only seen 1 other made in gas and 1 in electric. I am posting here in Wattflyer to make it become available to view and to see the way I am building this plane. Have a look if you wish too.

The pictures posted today in this post were taken a few days ago so I could offer you a temporary look over while I am assembling components.

The fuselage is 6' long. The wingspan is 8' 4" long. Weight is at 15lbs now.

**Neons** Bob

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-22-11 Emily Mockup.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	148961   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-22-11 Emily Mockup (1).jpg
Views:	361
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	148962   Click image for larger version

Name:	65_12 Huge Sketch.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	148963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete 3 View Emily (Large).jpg
Views:	392
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	148964   Click image for larger version

Name:	emily003.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	148965  

Name:	H8KX.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	448.0 KB
ID:	148966  
Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Nice job Bob Can I do the Maiden flight on it when your done LOL, Just Kidding, Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
**neons**

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

Chellie,
I have seen your videos of you flying. I would be honored to have your presence in doing the maiden flight. It is just so unfortunate we are on opposite ends of this huge country. Thank you very much and sweet flights to you,
**Neons** Bob
Old 06-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

What motors, esc and lipos are you using ?

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
**neons**

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

These are Hextronic DT750 motors with 30 amp HK Esc's. The lipo will be a 4K- 30 rated 11.1v lipo. I have 10x6x4blade APC props. The motors produce 2.5lbs of thrust. They can be rewound to put out about 3lbs of thrust also. If I fall short of power I will use a 4s lipo battery. They are also known as Blue Wonders. I have been using these for 6 years now and have about 14 of them. That is how much I like them.Big bang for the buck.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...777998&page=75

Bob
Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
These are Hextronic DT750 motors with 30 amp HK Esc's. The lipo will be a 4K- 30 rated 11.1v lipo. I have 10x6x4blade APC props. The motors produce 2.5lbs of thrust. They can be rewound to put out about 3lbs of thrust also. If I fall short of power I will use a 4s lipo battery. They are also known as Blue Wonders. I have been using these for 6 years now and have about 14 of them. That is how much I like them.Big bang for the buck.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...777998&page=75

Bob
Wow, thats very interesting, I hope you have enough power with those little motors, the water can be a little sticky, and wont let the plane break free, I was thinking that you might need like a 2 to 1 power ratio to break free of the water,because of drag and water suction on the hull, Just my 2 cents worth Good luck with your Nice Sea Plane, Chellie

Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

WOW!!! That is Beautiful! Nice work. Hope to see some vids of her in flight soon!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 06-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
**neons**

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

Thank you Earth,
I hope to finish it up some time this month also. I know it will be a great flier. She was not to bad to build either. The fuselage was fairly easy. The wings required lots of thought on a daily basis as I tackled each part to make and how to go about makng it fit or work. One example is the plugin wings. This was a first one for me and I had little reference to do it. It worked out well. The mid wings were a lot of work to get together with servos , plugin, and wiring. Let alone installing nacelles. Diferent than making a kit.

I am making the air scoops today for all the nacelles. Most of the glass work will be airbrushed in. I am going to vacu-form the side blisters and the top gun turret only. The problem with going with all the nose , tail, and cockpit glass is banging it in handling or if it takes a fast dump in the water. They could collapse and I would have bigger problems. So I weighed the thoughts on these options and will not do that. I think painting stages will be very soon coming also. I only have to add a reciever and an external BEC in the electronics now. All else is done.

Chellie,
I admire your contributions to Wattfler. Not only are you such a capable RC flier, you are well versed and intelligent. You are in the modelors class of Amelia Earhart of modeling. Just do not replicate her long trip. Thanks again.
**Neons** Bob
Old 06-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

I really admire your work! Such nice lines on the airplane. Is that construction blue foam? I hope to have the talent and patience to build something like that.

Oh, and I second your comment regarding Chellie! Incredibly knowledgeable and helpful!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 06-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
Thank you Earth,
I hope to finish it up some time this month also. I know it will be a great flier. She was not to bad to build either. The fuselage was fairly easy. The wings required lots of thought on a daily basis as I tackled each part to make and how to go about makng it fit or work. One example is the plugin wings. This was a first one for me and I had little reference to do it. It worked out well. The mid wings were a lot of work to get together with servos , plugin, and wiring. Let alone installing nacelles. Diferent than making a kit.

I am making the air scoops today for all the nacelles. Most of the glass work will be airbrushed in. I am going to vacu-form the side blisters and the top gun turret only. The problem with going with all the nose , tail, and cockpit glass is banging it in handling or if it takes a fast dump in the water. They could collapse and I would have bigger problems. So I weighed the thoughts on these options and will not do that. I think painting stages will be very soon coming also. I only have to add a reciever and an external BEC in the electronics now. All else is done.

Chellie,
I admire your contributions to Wattfler. Not only are you such a capable RC flier, you are well versed and intelligent. You are in the modelors class of Amelia Earhart of modeling. Just do not replicate her long trip. Thanks again.
**Neons** Bob
Thank you for the complements Bob The truth to the matter is that I am Just Plane Crazy LOL, Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 06-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

The link in the first post only took me to RCGroups main page.
I just had to see more of this plane.
This one will bring you to the actual thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417974

Great job, I'd love to see it fly too.

Paul
Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
**neons**

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

Paul,
Thanks, and I hope you enjoy the log. I made an ajustment to the entry post to correct the link. Thanks again for heads up.
**Neons** Bob
Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #13
**neons**

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

Earth,
I am sorry on delay. The foam in the plane is "flotsam". In other words I found it on the beach after a storm. It was in real tough shape with lots of barnacles, seaweed, and well rounded from wear. It probably was part of someones dock. I saw a plane in that foam so I squared it all up and released the whole airplane from that salvaged foam. So the foanm is now recycled and going back to the water. Go to the link I provided and you will see the build and how I used the foam.
Thanks for nice comments.
**Neons** Bob
Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I Like your hot wire cutter Bob, Good job with the pvc I need to make one like that, here is my scratch built hot wire cutter, Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 06-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Very nice neons i wish my solent balsa could have been found on the beach.lol Your plane is amost the same size as mine and iam using 10x6 apc four bladed props also. I balanced them the other day and they were so far out of balance i had to shave stuff for a hour . Cant wait to see your maiden. joe
Old 06-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
**neons**

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

Hello Chellie,
It is interesting ho the need to cut foam has us all looking for tools to do it easily. There are so many designs for simple ways to do it all the way up to commercial units. I have limited space left in my garage and did not want too many more large tools using up what space I have left. I used my old Craftsman router table to make this one rather than just leave it hang around unused.

The pvc tubes with some scrap wood and an old barn door hinge were inmprovised to make my hot cutter here that works like a bandsaw. Pvc is very useful stuff so I made bows for different size hotwire cutters. When using my bow I like to have it hang from the ceiling with weights and pulleys to make i neutral balance. This takes the pain of handling a loose bow in hand. After the cut, it raises it self up in the air. Of course more uses for pvc is for making plane racks for the fuselages and wings. I also have a foot operated bungee launcher made with it.

I think if someone happens to get to this thread they may strike upon some useful info here.
Thanks Chellie. Good info and a nice table setup too.
**Neons** Bob

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6-2-11 Hotwire Table.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	149023   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-2-11 Hotwire Table (1).jpg
Views:	146
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	149024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transformer HotWireCut.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	149025  
Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
**neons**

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

Hi Joe,
Your plane is fine the way the way it was built. It is better quality than my plane being but the cost of all he wood must have been expensive. I mostly build today with composites and wood trims. I am interested in how your plane will fly also. It came out pretty light weight too. Now on these props I do not know what to expect as far as the efficiency and thrust I will get with them. I have the other 3 coming as of yesterday. I am going to stay with brushless motors also. Brushed can motors are easy to setup but they are limited in efficiency and thrust. Your plane has been already proven with Ivan's builds.

I have still the pains and trials to go through in getting the right motor match for my plane. I will worry about that when the time comes I guess. In the meantime my push is to get it done for the summer season. I am getting along now on most construction and I suspect the painting will be coming very shortly. I want to make the 2 hull blisters and the top turret gun setup in my vacu-former first. Progress reports are in my Build Log. Today I am installing radial engine exhaust tips on the nacelles.
Thanks again.
Bob
Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I bought the jamara motors that are a little faster than ivans long can 480s ,but i went with 4-1-1 gear boxes the same as ivans. Ivans swings his mome made2 master airscrew 10x7 props notched in the middle to make a four bladed prop . I like you found apc props but because i went with more rpm motor i needed to drop one prop size,I THINK, .I will maiden mine maybe next week but i want to put a watt meter on them and see what it reads. I will try 2- 3 cell 3200 lipo packs in paralel for the first tests.2 packs just to get the cg right no bec i have a extra battery for radio and servos. Good luck with your build and i will let you know how my motors and props work . I have been looking at master airscrew 3 bladed props also but i dont want to keep spending all of my extra cash on props for the next month or so. lol Good luck neons she looks great. joe
Old 06-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #19
**neons**

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

Hi Joe ,
Thanks for well wishes. I hope your maiden goes well also. I hope you video it. I always video all my planes. I use a helmet cam I made a mount for around 2004. I have given thought to making my own 4 blade props also. I did that years ago too. I believe it is not a problem with fiber filled props. I would not run them on a high rpm motor either. The motors I am using are 700 to 750Kv's. It would also benifet from a good balancing. These recent APC props are like gold after the shipping cost. I will just make mine next time.
**Neons** Bob

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Helmet Cam.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	149026  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #20
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Bob the APC props holes are 5/16 in the front the back is bigger,my collet is 5mm so i dont know what size you have but i found these and the fit in the larger hole in the back to convert to metric shafts with out reaming. They say APC but made by landing products,dont ask me why. There are others that sell them ,horizon hobby is where i had my hobby shop order them for me but they are under the name landing products. All 6 on the sheet are the same size across ,thank god. joe http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...p?prod=APCMPA1 Bob my head is big enough without strapping a helmet and camera to it. lmao
Old 06-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #21
**neons**

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

Very Good Joe. I have about 75 in many sizes that came with all my props over the years. That is what works on mine, I CA them in to help stop slippage. I have 4mm shafts that are long. I am using 2 blade GWS prop spinners that screw on the shaft. I cut the blade area off and they thread flush. They look ok. Hard to find spinners for this plane.
Bob
Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #22
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

One of the guys who has built a solent bought his spinner from hobby- lobby rc and craved the extra blades holes and they are short stubby like what you want. I am starting out with cheap ones then going to these when my rich uncle dies. http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store...ctrics&maxp=30 They make good stuff . joe
Old 06-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #23
**neons**

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

Joe thanks for the info. I am going to stay with the GWS spinners . They do the job and have a pretty good effect. I spent the last 2 days on the nacelles making the air scoops and exhaust tips. I am doing the upper ball turret and 2 side blisters next.
**Neons** Bob

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6-3-11 Exhaust. (1).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	149049   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-3-11 Exhaust. (5).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	149050  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #24
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

The cowls look great neons ,cant wait to see the blisters and turret. Alot of windshield glass in that bird also. joe
Old 06-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #25
**neons**

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

Here you are Road King. I only taped the blisters in place. The ball turret is sunk in place and will turn on magnets.

The video is here. Best watched in full screen. Other vids there also.

Report is here in page 7.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1417974&page=7

Enjoy,
**Neons** Bob

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6-7-11 Emily in Primer.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	149323  

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered

Tags
amphibian , electric rc , japanese , kawanishi , seaplane