Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Gingerwill

Friends: (0)
Default First time RC flyer

I have no experience in RC Airplanes but recently ive got a urge to start flying after seeing some people flying in a park. After some research ive found some good trainer planes:

Hobbyzone Mini SuperCub
Hobbyzone Champ
Hobbyking Bixler
Dynam Sky Hawk

Any other suggestions are very well welcomled :P
Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Welcome aboard! Those all sound familiar as good starter planes. Are you familiar at all with aircraft theory of flight? search for some basic info on that and learning a little will help with some basics. Also, if you have the funds, an RC simulator can be very helpfull and save some money for your wallet as well in the long run. I'd really recommend the simulator, and if you can find someone who will give you some time to help get your plane flying right and help your first few flights will make a big help.

Another mistake I see a lot of people make is choice of flying field. If you're really good you can fly in some tighter spaces, but if you're a beginner, unless you have been born with the skills, you'll be starting at a level where you're lucky to get down in one piece, let alone get it down precisely where you want it to be. So a crowded park with kids running around and lots of trees, cars, and batting cages to crash into is not a very wise decision. The bigger and flatter and more vacated the space is, the better. I've seen it on Youtube. Total newb gets a ducted fan fighter jet, and takes off between picnic benches (Amazingly avoiding them, considering it was only aileron and elevator control, no rudder) only to crash into a light pole 30 feet in the air, leaving the nose of the plane wedged up there!

Find your big empty space. Make sure there is little or no wind, designate a no-fly zone which is a line going left to right in front of you(No flying over your head either, it's disorienting), and just try to fly a race track pattern, big ovals, out in front of yourself.

Boss is coming, gotta go! Good luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Gingerwill

Default Experience in aircraft :)

I have a 3ch 20 indoor heli, which i fly around a bit. I have 50-75 hours experience of flight simulators also.... umm ;P Soo what plane would u recommend to me?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
zzlentz

Club: Local Sports Bar
Friends: (10)

Hobbyzone Mini SuperCub
Hobbyzone Champ
Hobbyking Bixler
Dynam Sky Hawk

All the above.
Welcome to WF!

"ZZ Rider"
Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Gingerwill

Thanks :P But which is the best? im a bit of a noob when it comes to wires etc... i need step by step :L
Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Hi and welcome to Wattflyer!

This might help:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...81&postcount=3

The Bixler is completely untested, since it just came out, but it looks *really* sweet! Kind of like a mix of a Hawk Sky and a EasyStar.

All the planes you mentioned are good trainers. Just keep in mind that if you live in a windy area, you're not going to get much air time out of the micro planes.

AMA #959089
Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
zzlentz

The list you gave above are all Ready to Fly(RTF),no wiring,just charge the battery and you are in the air.I don't know what others will recommend,but I would start off with the Champ.It should suffice as a first plane.No assembly,inexpensive,and will take crashes well.
Good luck on what ever you choose.

"ZZ Rider"
Old 06-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Gingerwill

I would go with the champ just its fairly windy where i live :L
Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
zzlentz

Then size does matter;try the HZ Super Cub.It can take higher winds.

"ZZ Rider"
Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Gingerwill

I was looking for a slightly cheaper trainer
Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
zzlentz

http://www.nitroplanes.com/j3pipercub.html

"ZZ Rider"
Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
Gingerwill

Is this any good
http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/review/pro.../category/570/
Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
zzlentz

I've never flown one,but folks here on WF say they are great.
Good Luck!

"ZZ Rider"
Old 06-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

Originally Posted by Gingerwill View Post
The EZ Hawk is essentially the same plane as the Hawk Sky but is 3 channels rather than 4.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #15
Gingerwill

Would u suggest a 3 or 4ch plane?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #16
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

You're asking all the classic questions! # or 4 channel trainer: which came first the chicken or the egg/ The eternal question!

Search here for the 3 vs 4 channel debate it's been overcovered plenty. I prefer 4 channel, due to my prior sim-flying experience and stuff, I couldn't imagine flying any other way. Others prefer 3. The 3 channel is built to be self righting from a bank. 4 channels will be, too, but usually not as much.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #17
Gingerwill

Well the ez hawk has ailerons instead of a rudder, but u can install a ruder so it's also quite good at stunts
Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #18
z-8
Banned

Friends: (1)

Champ, all day long.

I learned RC by myself on a mini cub and never thought it flew particularly great. The Champ is without a doubt the best flying RC plane I've ever flown, I think I have around 25. I just added a 60" Champ in the hopes that it flies half as well as the little guy. At 1 oz it doesn't do wind, but the good side is if you fly over grass, it will land itself every time without damage if you go hands off and power down.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #19
Gingerwill

Do you reckon i could replace the landing gear on the Mini Super Cub with the Super Cub's landing gear (http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...ProdID=HBZ7106)
Old 06-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #20
earthsciteach

A friend of mine has the Dynam Sky Hawk (Hawk Sky?). It flies very nicely and you can start out with 3 channels then add a fourth. However, if I were you and you went that route, I'd just start with ailerons so you don't have to retrain your thumbs to operated ailerons on the right as opposed to rudder only on the left. Easy to fly, pretty fast, and FUN! I like the motor being on the high side. Came in handy when my buddy accidently tried to make it a seaplane by making a water landing. No harm done!

I have the HZ Super Cub. Super easy to fly. I got bored with three channels fairly quickly. I'm going to upgrade to four channel and a brushless motor, as soon as funds allow.

For me, I think I'd go with the Hawk Sky, if I had to do it again.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 06-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #21
eagle33

Club: Dallas Electric Aircraft Flyers (DEAF)
Friends: (1)

Take a real hard look at Nitroplanes 4-channel Hawk Sky ($119). I learned on this plane with the aid of a sim (Clearview). The Hawk Sky is very easy to fly and very forgiving. I have read many posts in several forums and still can't figure out why someone would begin with a 3-channel plane and then have to spend more money in order to start over with a 4-channels. Cheaper, more fun, and more to scale by just starting out with 4 channels to begin with.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Originally Posted by eagle33 View Post
Take a real hard look at Nitroplanes 4-channel Hawk Sky ($119). I learned on this plane with the aid of a sim (Clearview). The Hawk Sky is very easy to fly and very forgiving. I have read many posts in several forums and still can't figure out why someone would begin with a 3-channel plane and then have to spend more money in order to start over with a 4-channels. Cheaper, more fun, and more to scale by just starting out with 4 channels to begin with.
I tend to agree, Eagle. Then, when you're flying the Hawk with confidence, you strap a camera to her and the fun will never end. She carries a compact camera with ease!

AMA #959089
Old 06-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #23
Wrongway-Feldman

Here's my take on the beginner planes being mentioned. But ill include some things to think about for each plane as it pertains to beginners. I have pretty well every plane mentioned so this is from experience, not hearsay.
Champ - best plane for a beginner ever made. but, it can be really frustrating as a new flyer to always have to wait for calm condition. Even more so if you live in a windy place like where I do.
Mini cub - similar to the champ but not quite as good a flyer. Same wind problems.
Hawk Sky - great plane, great price. Flies extremely well. Unbelievably rugged. There are no local suppliers there fore parts availability is a problem.
Hz Supercub - easiest flying " big " trainer there is. Fairly rugged. Parts are Cheap and plentiful. There are a kajilion threads on the web related to this bird for every kind of mod thinkable. But its only 3 channels with no ailerons. This bird flies so easy that a new flier feels the need to move on to something more challenging very quickly, sometimes before they are ready.
Apprentice - the most expensive of the bunch. Easy to fly, easy to learn on. One version comes with a dx6i. Parts are somewhat readily available. Its a four channel bird which allows a new flier to be challenged a little longer while training. Tricycle landing gear is a real plus.
IMHO the apprentice is the winner of the bunch. You pay more up front, but you also get more.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #24
Gingerwill

Default The Final 2

Thanks to you guys ive narrowed it down to the final two :P

HK Super Cub RTF
Dynam Hawk Sky

I live in the UK and does the Hawk Sky come with a UK Wallsocket adaptor or a EU one?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #25
earthsciteach

The Hawk Sky my friend ordered from Banana Hobby came with a charger that only had alligator clamps to hook to a 12v car battery. It is not very convenient!

The HZ Cub does come with a cigarette lighter charger with a/c adapter. No idea if it comes with an adapter for UK.

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners