Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)
Default Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...what just happened?

Hi all,
just a quick question I hope.
I was flying today the wind was relatively calm everythin seemed fine and I began my usual pattern of s turns and circles and such when suddenly it seemed like my plane would not respond at all except to pull up. It kept going further further away from me in circular motion it was all i could do to keep it from smashing to the ground at full speed. I would swear someone else was flying my plane and it was not me. After my plane was no bigger than a speck It cam crashing down. I was certain it was lost. I got lucky and retrieved it and after checking everything out everything seemed fine and it flew perfectly aftewards. So I guess my question would be is there some kinda signal that can interfere with a TX to actually overide or jam a TX signal not allowing you to control a plane? This has never before happened to me, most of my crashes are due to inexperience and lack of control however this seemd totaly different and my plane was well over a 1/2 a mile away from where I was standing or in a wog as I frantically tried to keep control of her. Just curiouse because I was kinda miffed and all ic ol say to myself is Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. What just happened?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

What radio and receiver are you using ?

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

That is a heck of a good question Chellie. I am using the standard TX that came with my Hobbyzone Supe Cub. I really dont know all the specs Im sorry. Im still kinda ignorent to all this. but if it helps its set for CH2 freq of FM27.045M I hope that helps
Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
That is a heck of a good question Chellie. I am using the standard TX that came with my Hobbyzone Supe Cub. I really dont know all the specs Im sorry. Im still kinda ignorent to all this. but if it helps its set for CH2 freq of FM27.045M I hope that helps
I think you got your plane out of range, the 27 Mhz transmitters are not very powerful, or your batteries might have been low, keep your plane closer to you, untill you get a better Radio for it, Just my 2 cents worth Take care, Chellie

the ad says it has a 2500ft range but that will vary with conditions, There are 5280 feet in one mile, so if you were 1/2 mile away you were most likely out of range, at 1/2 half mile = 2640 feet and if the batteries were low, even less feet on the range.

• Proportional 3-channel FM transmitter with 2,500-foot range
• X-Port™ technology equipped for use with add-on accessories such as Aerial Drop Module™
• Float mounts installed and ready to accommodate the Super Cub float set (HBZ7390 - sold separately)
• Super Cub “Learn to Fly” DVD with assembly instructions and flying tips to make sure that getting started is easy

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
invertedthoughts

Friends: (0)

Somebody could have been keying up a hopped up CB radio near you too, they are on AM as well.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Agreed,
it did eventualyt get out of range and looking at the minicam footage though it seemed I lost control very early on in the flight. I became desperate well within 5 mins of the flight. Do you think that the battery could have affected this as well? I am pretty sure it was fully charged but I have no way of measurig this at the moment until I purchase a real charger so I can only assume it was fully charged. Also if the battery dies or runs low doesnt the plane motor just quit?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I appreciate your help Chellie by the way
Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I appreciate your help Chellie by the way
I am always glad to help out if i can Charge your batteries before you go flying, that way you know they are full charged Also, check the crystal in the receiver, they have been known to vibrate out or get loose, use a little scotch tape to help to hold it in place, Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 06-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Agreed,
it did eventualyt get out of range and looking at the minicam footage though it seemed I lost control very early on in the flight. I became desperate well within 5 mins of the flight. Do you think that the battery could have affected this as well? I am pretty sure it was fully charged but I have no way of measurig this at the moment until I purchase a real charger so I can only assume it was fully charged. Also if the battery dies or runs low doesnt the plane motor just quit?

it depends if your esc has a Low Voltage cut off on it or not, and if it is set properly

Old 06-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
[/COLOR]

it depends if your esc has a Low Voltage cut off on it or not, and if it is set properly
I see, thanks Chellie you are quite the lady
Ok I had thought maybe like a Hamradio Operator might have effected the TX or something like that. Definitly will look at the receiver as well
Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I see, thanks Chellie you are quite the lady
Ok I had thought maybe like a Hamradio Operator might have effected the TX or something like that. Definitly will look at the receiver as well
thats a possibility just about anything can disturb our RC Toys

Old 06-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
jungmann1
electron deficient

Friends: (1)

The old AM and FM radios were all subject to random interference from all kinds of outside sources including other radios on the same frequency. IF you stay in this hobby long at all you will probably end up flying on 2.4 spread spektrum radios. They are much more reliable in the park flying environment so many of us use. John.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Did you have the Anti Crash Tech turned on or off during the time the plane was flying, i have heard that people are having issues with it, and they just leave it turned off, to tell you the truth, I would get a better radio in your plane, and get rid of that 27Mhz AM BS

A Hitec transmitter on 72 Mhz with a BERG receiver will serve you well, I use a 72 Mhz JR Transmitter, with a berg receiver and dont have any problems, Berg Receivers are the best of the best for 72 Mhz and dont cost any more than the other receivers, the hitec receivers are ok, but i trust the berg more. 2.4 is nice if you have a lot of money to spend on Full Range receivers that cost 3 to 4 times more than a 72 Mhz receiver for your planes 72 mhz with a Berg Receiver is just as good, if not better IMHO, Take care and have fun, Chellie

$99.99 Cheap insurance, and a much much better radio than AM 27 Mhz
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...HRC156724.html

http://www.thefind.com/family/browse-berg-receivers
i like the Berg 4L4 receiver, only use a Berg Crystal with a Berg Receiver. they will lock onto your transmitter like a 2.4
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...user_guide.pdf

Transmitter Signal Recognition (TSR) process:
The receiver "learns" the characteristics and specific signal signatures of your transmitter when you power it up. After that, the receiver will only listen to your transmitter*.
Note: If a similar transmitter on the same channel is powered up and is CLOSERto your receiver than your own transmitter, loss of signal/fail safe may be experienced.

use a little scotch tape to hold the crystal in with, as they like to vibrate out on all the mini receivers.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

Frankenstein Build Contest Award  100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW 
Friends: (67)

Dont forget to put fresh batteries in the TX too....

Those early AM units clearly have power output related to battery power.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 06-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

It may also have been something as simple as pointing the aerial on the tx at the plane unknowingly. New pilots inadvertently do this as its instinctual to point it at the plane. But it will severely shorten the safe control distance causing just the type of control loss you described.

Ps: I just saw the video of the gremlin gremlin attack. If the black wire next to you vertical stabilizer is the rx aerial then it is in the wrong place. It really should be trailing behind the plane to give the maximum length. There iz a reason for the length of the antennas. The wavelength of fm signals is quite long and when the antenna is looped up like that you loose signal quality.
Think about trying to listen to a radio in the car without the power antenna up. It sound terrible.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #16
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Wow,
I really wish I would have checked Wattflyer just a bt longer before going to fly.

Because it happened again and she is no where to be found. Poof gone like that at full speed flying straight ahead with no wind to slow her down. very strange. I did put name and phone number on her so maybe just maybe I will get a phone call. Went to the hobbystore to look at the cost of a new plane not cheap grrr because I really like learning on this plane. Also to replace the minicam is $60 and if Chellie is right and I have no reason to doubt her. I will be needing to purchase a new TX if I buy the BNF versio or replace the one came with it. So all in all I would say I am grounded for a while funny thing is my wife said the same thing if I purchase another I love her to death
Old 06-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #17
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

[QUOTE=
Ps: I just saw the video of the gremlin gremlin attack. If the black wire next to you vertical stabilizer is the rx aerial then it is in the wrong place. It really should be trailing behind the plane to give the maximum length. There iz a reason for the length of the antennas. The wavelength of fm signals is quite long and when the antenna is looped up like that you loose signal quality.
Think about trying to listen to a radio in the car without the power antenna up. It sound terrible.[/QUOTE]

oh and by the way Wrongway You are right it was the rx antenna I am not sure what I was thinking when I put it there.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #18
Drifter

Friends: (0)

Since it happened the same way again, then I suspect an issue with the electronics. possibly a bad crystal or bad connection to the crystal, antenna not long enough, antenna broken.... 27Mhz is pretty nasty for interference, I would recommend that if you do go for a new plane, consider going to 2.4Ghz.

Sucks that you lost the plane though

Trainee pilot
Plane: ST Model Discovery - awaiting repairs
Heli: E-Flite Blade SR - training in progress
Old 06-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #19
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

defintly keeping all of this in mind and am eager to read more theories cuz thats all I got now yea it stinks to lose that plane it had character. but nature of the beast sometimes. I will probably end up buying a new Super Cub because I had just getting used to flying it and I still think IMHO that it is probably the best plane for me to learn on.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #20
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Wow,
I really wish I would have checked Wattflyer just a bt longer before going to fly.

Because it happened again and she is no where to be found. Poof gone like that at full speed flying straight ahead with no wind to slow her down. very strange. I did put name and phone number on her so maybe just maybe I will get a phone call. Went to the hobbystore to look at the cost of a new plane not cheap grrr because I really like learning on this plane. Also to replace the minicam is $60 and if Chellie is right and I have no reason to doubt her. I will be needing to purchase a new TX if I buy the BNF versio or replace the one came with it. So all in all I would say I am grounded for a while funny thing is my wife said the same thing if I purchase another I love her to death
ALSO, Becareful with the bind and fly stuff, normally the 2.4 receiver is not full range in them, so keep it close to you, or you will get another fly away plane with 2.4, unless you change it to a 2.4 full range receiver, 72 Mhz is full range for 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of the 2.4 full range receivers, thats why i love 72 Mhz

Old 06-07-2011, 03:50 AM   #21
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Drat my luck has gone to the poops

Well,
I did get the plane back was real excited about it however she is demolished. Moment of silence Yep the cost of repairs and new TX was just not in my favor...So I bought a new HobbyZone Super Cub DSM that came with Spektrum DX4e 4-Channel 2.4GHz DSMX transmitter. Not quite what everyone sugested however after some thought I figured a good comprimise and was eager to get back out there. Well my luck ran out it was malfunctioning it seems it had server roblems and I have to mail it back to horizon for them to honor the warrenty then wait for them to mail me a new one which could be as late as early July So I am definitly grounded so in the mean time I shall work on the demolished plane and my helicopter, got nothing to lose if it works it works and if it dont well I still have some spare parts. So off to the simulator I go to get my RC fix and work on inproving my limited skills.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:03 AM   #22
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi Fishbonez how badly damaged is your original Super cub, please post pics

Old 06-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #23
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

I don't know anything about the Dx4e, but I judging from the experience I've had with DSM2/DSMX so far, your static days are going to be over. I noticed from your video how the motor is cutting out all the time. Either you had a bad tx/rx or it was static/interference. The 27Mhz band is really crowded. If a kid in one of the houses you're flying over is playing with an RC toy, you could be "shot down". DSMX is the way to go IMHO. You'll love it!

AMA #959089
Old 06-07-2011, 04:14 AM   #24
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

ok I will try but it might make me cry but im to cool for that
Old 06-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #25
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

ok I will try but it might make me cry but im to cool for that
pictures have to be re sized here, 1000 pix x 800 pix seems to work well for me

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners