Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Seaplanes E-Powered Discuss electric powered seaplanes here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
philbel

Friends: (0)
Default Cooling fan for heating ESC in seaplane? Help!

Hi all,

I suspect some of you flying bigger electric seaplanes (10 lb. and more) have experienced heating problems with high voltage ESCs (temperature auto cut-off, burning, etc.).

I had major failures on 2 of my seaplanes last week end at a float fly in Quebec because of heating ESCs... A Sig Kadet Senior on floats and a Great Planes Seawind (both around 11 lb.). One ESC fried and the other auto heating cut-offed, both after about 3 minutes in the air.

These were maiden flights...

The Kadet had a Monster Power 60, 2x3600 30c 6s lipos, 15x8 prop and a 100a K Force ESC. The amp draw during testing was 70a at full throttle (but much less during the actual flight).

The Seawind had a Rimfire 60, a 3-blade 13x8 MAS and with that motor the amp draw was more than 90a! We had to lower the end point of the throttle stick to achieve the desired amps at around 70. During the flight the ESC first cut-offed so the plane could be landed safely. But it fried moments later..

I thought a 100a ESC would handle an average of 60 amps even with no airflow... But I was wrong.

The other "big" seaplane I had was a 12lb. Canadair CL-215 (2xPower 46, 2x5000 25c 4s lipos, 2 x 14x7 MAS 3-blade and 2xTurigy Plush 60a ESCs). No heating problem in 5 flights.

It seems smaller ESCs (30-60a) can handle proportionally more amps without airflow. Am I right?

Now, I guess I will need to put a cooling fan on my high voltage ESCs...

I know these fans do exist but the only cooling fans I found were for car ESCs... Will they work on airplanes?

Or should I put a 120 or a 200a ESC to be safe??

Any help would be appreciated.

Philbel
Old 06-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

post some pics of your sea plane, I am sure someone can figure out a good place to put some air inlets on it, you have got to have air flow, even with fans, all the fans will do is blow hot air if it cant get any cold outside air. even a 120 amp esc wont work with out cooling air, it will just shut down when hot.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

View tampaflyer's Gallery7
Club: trac
Friends: (7)

yes the car fans work, but you still need to exchange the air.so some in/out opening are needed.
i have a PBN and they are just still inside the cowl area...

Old 06-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

I have a 50 amp esc running 4 - 480 brushed motors I hope you are right about the smaller ones holding up or iam goimg to be in trouble. Where are the pictures of the float fly ? joe
Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by philbel View Post
Hi all,

I suspect some of you flying bigger electric seaplanes (10 lb. and more) have experienced heating problems with high voltage ESCs (temperature auto cut-off, burning, etc.).

I had major failures on 2 of my seaplanes last week end at a float fly in Quebec because of heating ESCs... A Sig Kadet Senior on floats and a Great Planes Seawind (both around 11 lb.). One ESC fried and the other auto heating cut-offed, both after about 3 minutes in the air.

These were maiden flights...

The Kadet had a Monster Power 60, 2x3600 30c 6s lipos, 15x8 prop and a 100a K Force ESC. The amp draw during testing was 70a at full throttle (but much less during the actual flight).

The Seawind had a Rimfire 60, a 3-blade 13x8 MAS and with that motor the amp draw was more than 90a! We had to lower the end point of the throttle stick to achieve the desired amps at around 70. During the flight the ESC first cut-offed so the plane could be landed safely. But it fried moments later..

I thought a 100a ESC would handle an average of 60 amps even with no airflow... But I was wrong.

The other "big" seaplane I had was a 12lb. Canadair CL-215 (2xPower 46, 2x5000 25c 4s lipos, 2 x 14x7 MAS 3-blade and 2xTurigy Plush 60a ESCs). No heating problem in 5 flights.

It seems smaller ESCs (30-60a) can handle proportionally more amps without airflow. Am I right?

Now, I guess I will need to put a cooling fan on my high voltage ESCs...

I know these fans do exist but the only cooling fans I found were for car ESCs... Will they work on airplanes?

Or should I put a 120 or a 200a ESC to be safe??

Any help would be appreciated.

Philbel
You need to have some air flow through the fuse. Even car fans wont help if the fuse is closed up on a hi power setup.

Secondly, limiting the throttle end points to reduce amp draw will actually cause your esc to run hotter than if you ran the motor at full throttle.

I know that is counter intuitive, but thats the way it works. Check with the manufacturers of any of the name brand esc's if you dont believe me. Or search RCGroups or WattFlyer or RCU or do a Google for "part throtle esc heating". There is tons of data available.

Bottom line - you cannot get away with proping your power system for a peak current higher than the weakest component - especially the esc - can handle. Reducing throttle to compensate just makes things worse - not better

Thirdly - if your sealing up your fuse to keep water out because your worried about blowing the electronics if they get wet - get some CorrosionX water proofing agent from a Marine dealer or Aircraft supply or at many Ace hardware stores or Lumber yards etc etc. Its available world wide at many retailers.

I treat all my many water planes with it and I have recievers and esc's that get dunked under water regularly with no issues at all. Typically, when the wind blows the model right side up again I just take off like nothing has happened. Its amazing stuff

The TV commercials for it show them treating an old tube TV and tossing it in a swimming pool and watching TV under water.

For more details see post number 3 in my Capricorn thread.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26120

Really, you dont need to be afraid of the water ruining your gear if you use this stuff properly.

use CorrosionX and add some properly sized cooling holes and your expensive HV esc's will thank you for it

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 

By the way, here are a few of my water planes. Many of them have spent a good bit of time with ALL the electronics under water with NO DAMAGE at all

The Mega is using a castle ICE controller running on 6S A123 packs. The Giant scale Polaris is also running on 6S A123 with an ICE HV 80. The Foamy Yak is running on 9S A123 packs or 7S Lipo with another HV ICE controller.

All were running on Berg rx's and now are on Spektrum 2.4 rx's - also treated with CorrosionX.

Mega Capricorn getting blown over at the lake...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5095 (Medium).JPG
Views:	890
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	149298

Name:	atlake3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	149299

Name:	tipover (Medium).jpg
Views:	702
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	149300 Mega Capricorn getting blown over

Name:	IMG_3656 (Large).JPG
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	149301

Name:	IMG_2254 (Large).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	149302 BatBoat

Name:	IMG_5132 (Large).JPG
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	149303

Name:	IMG_2338 (Large).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	149304

Name:	build21 (1) (Medium).JPG
Views:	68
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	149305

Name:	build19 (2) (Small) (Large) (Small).JPG
Views:	99
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	149306

Name:	Sparkle 064 (Medium).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	149307

Larry
Old 08-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
philbel

Hi all,

I've been out of the country for a couple of months so here are some pictures of the float fly in Quebec last June:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...88421977876267

There are pics of my Canadair and my Kyosho Macchi.

I usually dip my escs in Corrosion X but I had hesitations with big escs like the Ice 100a or other 100a controllers. I guess I will first cut openings in the nose of the failed aircratfs (Kadet Senior on floats and Seawind) to create airflow and dip electronics in Corrosion X; I will keep you posted.

Philbel
Old 08-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

I have been using CorrosionX on all my large controllers from day one with no issues. The largest I have used it on is an ICE HV 120.

In this case, size dosent matter

Larry
Old 09-09-2011, 02:06 AM   #9
Glolectric

Larry.... do you just spray the stuff in, or do you dunk it in? servos also? and motor? I'm a newb at seaplanes........
Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #10
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Dunk for sure. I also rotate them while in the solution and do my best to allow the corrosionX to get to every tiny nook and cranny. This is especially important with the ICE controllers because you have a lot of stuff hidden under the heat sinks.

Larry

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Seaplanes E-Powered