Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
fl350

Friends: (0)
Default HobbyKing DSM2 rx

I ordered a 6 channel dsm2 receiver from hobbyking but it it STILL on back order three weeks later.

Has anyone else ordered one lately? How long has it taken to get it?
Old 09-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
chinaclipper

Originally Posted by fl350 View Post
I ordered a 6 channel dsm2 receiver from hobbyking but it it STILL on back order three weeks later.

Has anyone else ordered one lately? How long has it taken to get it?
A long time. Three weeks? you haven't passed the halfway mark yet!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
Old Tin Man

Just got the 2 that I ordered 3 weeks ago. Bound fast and seem to work fine so far. Will range check as soon as the weather clears.

I also have 2 of the 4 channel RX's and have been flying them in my foam wings. Hyperflea and Assassin. Seem to work great and have good range. I can fly the wings to the same range as a AR500. Very happy with these so far.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
fl350

Hmmmm. I am coming up on one month since I placed the order and still nothing. Do you remember what day you placed the order? Did you get the 6 channel or 4 channel?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Old Tin Man

I ordered both the 4 and 6 channel RX's, in separate orders. The 6 channel RX's were ordered on Sept. 12th 2010 and the 4 channel Rx's were ordered on, Sept 16th 2010. I ordered these separately and they were the only things on the orders. I did this so they would ship and not be held up with any other items. I also selected registered international airmail. Both orders took approx. 3 weeks to arrive.

Did you have other items in your orders?

I hope that you get yours soon, I am sure that you will like them. They work great and the 4 channel is very small and light so they are a great match for small foam planes!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
fl350

I ordered mine about 6 days after you did, so I should be getting it soon. I ordered a couple other things with it but none of them are on back order so I should be getting it within the next two weeks for sure. Thanks for the info. Glad to hear it is working well for you.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #7
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (15)

So has anyone confirmed that "Model match" works with these new receivers? Is anyone able to confirm that they actually use the dual-link technology? The dual link function is what's covered by Spektrum's patent so I was wondering if they dodged that by only using one frequency.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

View smokejohnson's Gallery22
Club: Independent
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (108)

I'm not sure how I can check the dual link but at least on this one, I just checked, and the model match worked. With the wrong model pulled up on my DX6i it would not bind. Once I pulled the correct model up it worked as usual.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:07 AM   #9
biznak

i just ordered 2 of the orange 6ch and got email today stating they shipped! i can't wait! i've got a couple foamies to put them in but i'm gonna do some nice long range checks too!

so far the hangar only consists of a: PZ Corsair, Skyfly 2, GP BLT (with custom ailerons) and a Slope diver (soon to be motorized), oh and about 4 other "in the works"....
Old 10-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
Old Tin Man

I bought 2 of these and now have 12 flights on a 4 channel unit in my Stryker and 10 flights on my HyperFlea with the other one. Model match works just fine. They always range check very good. So far I have to remember that I am using these and not the AR500's that I normally use. I only see a difference in price and that these have no case just shrink tube as a cover. Just ordered 2 more today. Very impressed so far.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
patnchris

View patnchris's Gallery2

I recieved my Orange 6 channel hard case RX's, yesterday. I wasted no time removing my AR500 from my Mini Funtana and installing the HK RX. It bound easily and needed vertually no trim adjustments.
I took it to the field, this morning, for some test flights. Our field is large and bordered by corn fields on three sides, so there's not much limit as to how far you can fly.
I range tested the RX per Spektrum and it easily passed. Then I taxied out to the furthest distance of our field....Never lost the link.
Time to fly.....I hit the throttle and the plane took off in it's usual 5 feet....I flew a few circuits over the field, just to check the trim, etc.....Then proceded to fly further out, over the corn field....I kept flying larger and larger circuits until, at the far ends, the plane was just a spec and never had a hint of a glitch. This is much further out than I normally fly .40 and .60 sized planes.....Then brought it in for a smooth landing. I continued this for 4 packs and had no issues. I even flew inverted and knife edge to see if there was any signal blocking, but never had an issue.
I suspect that this will have to put some downward pressure on Spektrum to lower some of it's priceing or these RX's are going to take over the small plane market. At $15.99 plus shipping, one can get three for the price of one AR500.
As a side note, I might add that it appears that the Orange RX may be slightly faster than the AR500. While I have no way of verifying this, it definately felt more positive and responsive....Again...no way to actually verify, but just something I thought was note worthy.....Pat
Old 10-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #12
texasclouds
Super Contributor

View texasclouds's Gallery472
Friends: (12)

I hope this encourages Spektrum to drop at least 25% off their receiver prices...

Old 10-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Old Tin Man

Now that you mention it I can hear the throttle change faster than my AR500's. I thought that this was just me hearing things.

I wounder how long until HK offers the satellite RX for the 6 channel RX's? Maybe a upgrade to carbon fuse or a longer antenna? I run a AR500 in my Siren with the antenna poking out just behind the wing. Wonder if a long antenna could be retrofitted to the 4 channel units?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
patnchris

I am told that the long antenna on the AR500 is actually a coax and thus shielding it from everything but the small end piece. The antennas are actually tuned in length to the frequency, thus the short length of the RX and TX antenna for 2.4 ghz.

I suppose, if one could fing the proper coax, the short antenna could be removed and a longer one installed in it's place. This would allow the antenna to be secured outside the fuse on planes where carbon fiber or other materials might be blocking the signal.

I don't believe that this would increase the range of the HK RX, though, unless one could actually calculate the wave length and then tune the length to the proper resonance.

As far as a satellite RX....Jason says there is no future planes to offer one. I had a friend who actually used a Spektrum satellite and said it connected and worked perfectly. Whether it increased the range is open to speculation. The satellite actually just works as a redundant, in case, for whatever the reason, the signal is blocked to the original antenna, it is picked up by the satellite. This is why they specify the difference in orientation for the satellite....
Old 10-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #15
patnchris

Just in case anyone's interested......I placed my order on Sept 28 and recieved it, yesterday.

I'm told that if you wait until they show stock before ordering, you will have a long wait, but if you back order them, they are usually filled in a couple weeks.

I believe that part of the reason for the huge back order log is because there are a number of EBAY sellers that are snatching these up and selling them on EBAY for $30. If you check, you will see several sellers that have actually cloned HK's page. I queried one seller as to how many he had at that price and he came back and said 25+..
Old 10-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #16
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (15)

Thanks for the feedback on the model-match. That feature has saved planes several times for me and I'd hate to loose it using one of these receivers.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #17
Old Tin Man

Originally Posted by patnchris View Post
I am told that the long antenna on the AR500 is actually a coax and thus shielding it from everything but the small end piece. The antennas are actually tuned in length to the frequency, thus the short length of the RX and TX antenna for 2.4 ghz.

As far as a satellite RX....Jason says there is no future planes to offer one. ..
Thanks for the info on the AR500 antenna, always wondered why it had the long wire. Would love to find a small amount of this type of wire and add it to a 4 channel HK RX to test it out on a cheap foamy.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #18
biznak

i got my 6channel hardcase orange RX and they bound fine and all channels working(to DX6i)! i havne't done a range check but i'm guessing it will be good! i need to hurry up and finish my foamy cub build now....

so far the hangar only consists of a: PZ Corsair, Skyfly 2, GP BLT (with custom ailerons) and a Slope diver (soon to be motorized), oh and about 4 other "in the works"....
Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #19
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Sounds like they work. I think I'll order a couple if I do well at poker this weekend.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #20
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA

I'm using one of the HK 4ch DSM2 receivers in a parkjet.

It is working perfectly, has about 20 flights, sometimes about as far away as I can see, NO problems

It's about 1/2 the size of a postage stamp, I just stuck it to the foam with dbl side tape.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #21
cbatters
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

HobbyKing backlog question...

If I order a bunch of items and a couple of them are on backlog, will Hobbyking just que up all of the other items that are in stock and ship as soon as the backlog items ares in stock? (will including in-stock items on the order slow down the order in any way?)

Thanks

Clint

Current - Ventura, HZ SuperCub-Freedom-Swift-AB3, PZ Typhoon, T-28 Trojan, Radian, AeroAce Biplane
Maiden - F-27C Stryker
10 years Ago - ElectroSoar 2M Glider, 2M Foam Glider, Mirage 550
Retired - Sky Fly, Red Hawk, Extreme, Challenger
Old 05-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #22
Azarr
Electric Junkie

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post

If I order a bunch of items and a couple of them are on backlog, will Hobbyking just que up all of the other items that are in stock and ship as soon as the backlog items ares in stock? (will including in-stock items on the order slow down the order in any way?)

Thanks

Clint
Yes, but they hold the whole order until each backordered item comes in stock. You don't need to worry about something you thought was in stock becoming backordered. If you check through your order page it will show items as "reserved" and others as "backordered"

That being said, shipping is not too expensive. If I run into that situation I usually just split it into two orders, one for what's in stock and a second for backordered stuff.

Azarr
Old 05-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #23
gyrocptr

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
If I order a bunch of items and a couple of them are on backlog, will Hobbyking just que up all of the other items that are in stock and ship as soon as the backlog items ares in stock?
Yes.
...(will including in-stock items on the order slow down the order in any way?)....
No, but including any out-of-stock items on the order will definitely slow down the order.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #24
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

I do wish they'd stock these in the U.S. warehouse.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 AM   #25
cbatters
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

Finally caught these in stock and ordered a couple to evaluate. I am going to stop trying to catch things in stock and place periodic orders not worrying about when they will be delivered.

Two types of orders

1 everything in stock with one week delivery

2 some out or stock items with non urgent delivery.

Clint

Current - Ventura, HZ SuperCub-Freedom-Swift-AB3, PZ Typhoon, T-28 Trojan, Radian, AeroAce Biplane
Maiden - F-27C Stryker
10 years Ago - ElectroSoar 2M Glider, 2M Foam Glider, Mirage 550
Retired - Sky Fly, Red Hawk, Extreme, Challenger

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers