Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
aeroknot
learning by doing

Friends: (1)
Default "best" weekday charged lipo voltage for the lazy weekend flier?

What is the "best" weekday fully charged (less than 100% and above storage) lipo voltage for the "lazy" weekend flier?
i.e. don't want to charge to storage at 3.85volts for the week, charge fully Friday, fly, etc.

Rather charge to below 100%, but above storage voltage, fly, charge again.

4.2v / cell = fully charged
4.1v / cell = one person's strategy.

or does it matter.

For lipo life, would storage in a cool place, refrigerator be more important during the week than the charged voltage (storage voltage 3.85 vs 99% vs 100%)?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
cbatters
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

I fully charge mine but keep them in the fridge to slow down the degredation. Almost as good as room temperature and 3.85 storage voltage but more convenient. (pop the batteries out of the fridge, warm them up on the drive to the field and fly)

If I have no plans to fly for 6 months I discharge to 3.85 and store in the fridge for maximum longevity.

Clint

Current - Ventura, HZ SuperCub-Freedom-Swift-AB3, PZ Typhoon, T-28 Trojan, Radian, AeroAce Biplane
Maiden - F-27C Stryker
10 years Ago - ElectroSoar 2M Glider, 2M Foam Glider, Mirage 550
Retired - Sky Fly, Red Hawk, Extreme, Challenger
Old 06-14-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
flashburn

Friends: (0)

I store fully charged also, only use storage charge over winter Nov. to end March
During flying season some batteries sit for several weeks between usage, depends on planes flown.
The batteries that sit longest are my small packs 850 to 1350 3S all appear to give good flight times with only one battery weak and that one is an odball brand picked up @ a show. It never really performed right from the start.
My bigger packs do get used on a regular rotation, most weeks will be out twice and if the weather holds three times for the morning then one or two evenings for at least 4 flights, the evenings are when the small packs tend to get used as those planes are one pce toss in the car and go fly profiles.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
aeroknot
learning by doing

An "official" thanks to all of ya'll.....
I've been charging to a full charge and keeping at room temp, but I may start putting them in the refrigerator - zip lock bag.
Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

sooooooo,seem's i'm not alone at storing batts week to week at full charge for weekend flying. to come home and discharge packs i didn't use would cost more in my time than the packs are worth...lol....thats the beauty of hk zippies.i have batteries that are 3 years old and still flying.

one note,i time all my flights and often have charged them back up in a 1/2hr or 3/4hr.

i run packs in series and parallel so i need 6 of a kind to get 3 flights on different birds. if i fly the roar 10 mins at aerobatic and the larger birds for 8+ mins i'll fly all the time i need with 2 planes any given day.can't beat it!

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 06-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
aeroknot
learning by doing

Thanks - good info from all.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers