Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
4stripes

Friends: (0)
Default SAPAC Gripen with HABU 32 80mm fan/motor

Just installed the HABU 32 80mm fan/motor in our Gripen. The stock setup was underpowered but this new fan makes it fly with authority. Not 1 to 1 thrust but plenty for scale flying. Guessing around 90mph speed in level flight. We have a thrust vectoring nozzle installed (SU34 Freewing type) which makes for some interesting maneuvers like flat spins! The outlet is a tad small for the 80mm fan but it seems to work fine. Balancing the 6S 5000mah pack requires the compartment opened up way back into the duct. An aluminum tray was added to hold the battery. You have to be creative to hold the battery from sliding forward. We used a stopper that velcro's in front of the battery. Flight times of 5 minutes are easy. The only mod planned next is to move the main landing gear closer to the CG to make take-off rotation easier. Now it seems to leap into the air and I want a more gentle rotation.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GripenTO.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	149741

Name:	GripenLANDING.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	149742

Name:	GripenMOON.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	149743

Name:	GripenTOP.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	149744
Old 06-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (10)

OMG!!! That is so awesome! Look at her in the air on the picture to the right! OMG!!!

I think I need some more EDF training on my A10 before I can fly a Gripen, but I'll get there one day. Oooh, will I get there!

The Gripen is (obviously) one of my all time favorites. The only plane that looks more awesome in the air is the Saab 37 "Viggen". When I served in the Swedish Navy, our ship used to be subject to simulated attacks by Viggen. Let me tell you... You feel kind of small when a pair of Viggen dive right towards you and make a low pass right over your head...

But I'm rambling...

Are there any good e-powered Viggen models out there?

AMA #959089
Old 06-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
4stripes

NJSwede
It is easy to fly. I'm sure it flies better than your A10 (I have one from Starmax). The only drawback is the narrow main gear. You have to get the tracking straight or you will be tipping on the wing tips. a simple solution would be to move the gear outward on the wings from the stock location.
Cheers
Old 06-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery59
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Holy Smokes, 4stripes! What agreat post. Thanks for the pictures.

This is an instant classic!

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
4stripes

Moved the landing gear to about 1" behind the CG and takeoffs are now smooth and scale like. Better ground handling by far than stock position. Was able to just cut the plywood plates a new retract opening and shorten the legs about 3/4". The nose leg was replaced with a single wheel and it extends much better into the slipstream than the fat original two wheel setup.
Cheers

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets