Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
tenacious101010

Club: TRAC, Bay City Flyers
Friends: (3)
Default 70 inch ws kit built Fiesler Storch conversion to electric

I bought this kit built Storch at a swap meet today. It has a 70 inch wingspan. I have no idea what kit it was. It is very scale, scale hinges, and working oleo struts. It has servos in it but has never had a motor. I plan on converting it to electric outrunner powered. I am thinking a monster power 15 should fly it scale or a bit better. Any thoughts as to what the kit manufacturer was, I would appreciate it.
Denny

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9547.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	149773   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9546.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	149774   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9544.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	149775   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9543.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	149776   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9541.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	149777  

Name:	DSCN9540.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	149778   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9539.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	149779   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9538.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	149780  
Old 06-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Thumbs up

Hi Denny
Pleased to meet you
She could be a Bob Holdman, either plan built or short kit
http://www.aviationtrivia.info/Fiese...156-Storch.php
She quite lovely by the way congratulations
Love that aircraft they fly so nicely
Heres mine
Do enjoy
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 06-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Hi Very nice plane It looks like you will need a monster power 40 size motor for your plane rather than a monster power 15, just my 2 cents worth, Take care,Chellie

http://www.nitroplanes.com/mo466brmo.html

Bob Holman has plans and short kits for the Fieseler Storch rc airplane for sale. These come in two sizes. The 70" wingspan model can be powered by .25 to .40 two cycle engines. The 1/6 scale 94" wingspan model can be powered by .90 to .120 or G38 engines.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-19-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
tenacious101010

Hank and Chellie, Thanks for the help. Mine does look a lot like yours Hank. I assume the added details on this one were a bashing of the kit. I cant imagine a kit having all this stuff as standard. It has oleo struts, scale hinges and lots ofd other small goodies. Hank, what motor do you have in yours?
Chellie, I think you are right, it will need more than a .15 size. I had come to the realization that this will probably need a bigger motor than what I first thought. So I did order a monster .25. I want it as light as possible, as long as it can fly reasonably well, I will be happy. I need to weigh it and do a few calculations, lathargicaly (such bad spelling) underpowered planes are no fun at all. If I dont use the motor for this one, I will use it for another project.
I just ran out and weighed the plane without the reciever, battery, motor and ESC, its just under 4.5 pounds with all the servos, linkages and hardware installed. Now to get the motor, ESC and battery weight and I can do better calculations on whats needed. I am so used to doing big gas planes, this is a bit of an adjustment for me. I will post the results and pass on anything I learn to try to help others.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:17 AM   #5
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Talking

Hi Denny
Thanks
She has a Hacker A30-12XL V2 brushless motor, Phoenix Ice lite 50 esc, 2700 mAh 4s 14.8v battery pack , 14 x7 prop and weighs a little over 5 pounds
She cruises quite well at 1/4 to half throttle and can stay in the air for about 15 minutes per charge
Hope this helps
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 06-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by tenacious101010 View Post
Hank and Chellie, Thanks for the help. Mine does look a lot like yours Hank. I assume the added details on this one were a bashing of the kit. I cant imagine a kit having all this stuff as standard. It has oleo struts, scale hinges and lots ofd other small goodies. Hank, what motor do you have in yours?
Chellie, I think you are right, it will need more than a .15 size. I had come to the realization that this will probably need a bigger motor than what I first thought. So I did order a monster .25. I want it as light as possible, as long as it can fly reasonably well, I will be happy. I need to weigh it and do a few calculations, lathargicaly (such bad spelling) underpowered planes are no fun at all. If I dont use the motor for this one, I will use it for another project.
I just ran out and weighed the plane without the reciever, battery, motor and ESC, its just under 4.5 pounds with all the servos, linkages and hardware installed. Now to get the motor, ESC and battery weight and I can do better calculations on whats needed. I am so used to doing big gas planes, this is a bit of an adjustment for me. I will post the results and pass on anything I learn to try to help others.
I think the 25 motor will work ok, the reason i suggested the 40 size motor is because electrics tend to come out lighter than a glow motor, Myself i would use a 60 size motor if it will fit in the cowel because it weights more and i may not need to use any lead to get the CG correct, you may need to add a lot of lead to the nose to get the CG correct, rather than adding dead weight, i always try to use the biggest E motor that will fit into the cowel, I would rather have the weight of the motor to adjust my CG rather than have to add lead, and its nice to have the reserve power to get you out of a bind if you ever need it, also it allows you to fly at about 1/4 throttle, and your flying time normally will be longer not having to push a smaller motor to work harder, Just My 2 cents worth, Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

View tampaflyer's Gallery7
Club: trac
Friends: (7)

Old 06-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
tenacious101010

Chellie, I agree with your thoughts also, I would also prefer more motor and/or battery verses adding dead weight to balance a plane. I always max out the weight/leverage ption first before adding weight. I put a 3000 mA 3s battery in the location it would be and the plane is almost balanced right on the wing spar. If I add a motor and ESC too, the CG will be very close. With just a power 25,I will probably even have to move the battery back a bit, this plane has an exceptionally long nose. I have a geared Mega motor I am going to do some testing on to see what it pulls, would love to have the plane as light as possible for some very scale takeoffs and landings. Whoever built this plane did an amazing job keeping the tail light.
Denny
Old 06-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Keep us all informed on how well it flies, and dont forget the videos Take care, Chellie

Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
tenacious101010

I think I found out the designer of this plane. I believe it was built based on Dennis Bryant plans. I saw a picture of one built from his plans and it is exactly like this one, details, landing gear and all. It seems it is not built from a kit, but was built from plans.
Denny
Old 07-04-2011, 03:02 AM   #11
tenacious101010

The monster power 25 is installed, the two two cell 5,00mA batteries are in place, the cg is set. It looks like tomorrow will be the maiden. The power 25 really has a lot of pull with a 10 inch prop. I will post the results, and I hope they are good.
Denny
Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #12
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

View tampaflyer's Gallery7
Club: trac
Friends: (7)

awaiting to fly... soon now..

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-07-03 10.11.22.jpg
Views:	1421
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	150399  

Old 07-04-2011, 03:19 AM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

That looks very very nice, Dont forget the Flight Video

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)