Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-19-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
eseeweb

Club: SunParlour RC flyer, Windsor, Ontario
Friends: (0)
Default choice of radio, reciever etcc...

Starting learning rc flight last summer and just started solo flight a month ago. I have a E-flite 15e apprentice RTF with Spektrum dx5e, AR5000, 4 batteries. I am planning on what to do next. Can someone suggest what radio i should get. here is some of my thought...

I need one that can store a few planes, i don't see i am getting more than 5 planes in the near future.
I prefer to keep flying electric plane, at least 5 channel, at this point, i don't even know how to program these radio, so I do not need anything complicated but prefer a reliable radio with no surprise
I like the E-flite T34 mentor RTF package that come with DX6i DSM2 but not sure if DX6i DSM2 is good to carry me for next few years?
Members in the flying club that i am in suggested Hitec Aurora 9 but out of my budget. What is a 7 channel Hitec model ?

Any suggestions welcome... thx. Ted.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I use and LOVE the A9, but understand that is a budget issue.

So a used DX7 would be my next choice.

Mike
Old 06-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

A few months ago I was in the exact same situation as you and I ended up getting a used DX7. That's a decision I haven't regretted a second. I love the radio and it's tried and tested, so thousands of users have worked out the bugs for you. Just make sure it's fairly new and/or have all the software updates.

AMA #959089
Old 06-19-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I just re-read and saw your like of the T-34 a great choice by the way. And since that does come with a DX6i in RTF form - you really would be OK with that radio for a while. The price break will be nice. More than anything I just didn't care for the feel of the DX6i. But since you have the DX5 you the switch will be easy.

I LOVE my T-34 as well.

Here are some pics of mine....

Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T34-1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	149788   Click image for larger version

Name:	T34-2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	149789   Click image for larger version

Name:	T34-3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	149790   Click image for larger version

Name:	T34-5.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	149791   Click image for larger version

Name:	T34-6.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	149792  

Click image for larger version

Name:	T34-8.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	149793   Click image for larger version

Name:	T34-10.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	149794   Click image for larger version

Name:	T34-12.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	149795   Click image for larger version

Name:	T34-13.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	149796  
Old 06-19-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
eseeweb

Thank you for the suggestion...
Rcers - I'll look more into the T28 that you mentioned in another thread.
Ted.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
eseeweb

Default Aurora 9

hi
still didn't settle down with a radio. I still want to budget for Aurora 9. Do anyone know what's the running street price for Aurora 9 and where can i get the best price? any help will be appreciated.

Ted.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Ted you have not filled out your location so I am assuming US somewhere.

Here are a few spots to watch:
http://hobbyhorse.com/hitec_aurora.shtml
http://shop.tomsrc.com/product_info....oducts_id=2450

Mike
Old 07-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
eseeweb

Oh, i am from Windsor, Ontario. Just 5 minutes across Detroit. I go to US side regularly in Michigan area. I will update my profile... thx.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:06 AM   #9
old grump

Thumbs down RECEIVERS That are cheap & long range

I have been using CORONA RS 410 Receivers in 12 of my electric planes for years & never had a range or glitching problem ,and they sell for $11.50 Plus $2.50 for crystal at HEADSUPRC,AND $2.00 shipping. They also have long range,in fact a range check with Trans.ant. down i get at least 100 yards. I use only HITEC transmitters. THE OLD GRUMP
Old 07-05-2011, 03:18 AM   #10
THESANDMAN

Friends: (1)

this is a very addicitive hoby dont beive yourself that you will only have 5 planes, i thought the same thing and i have 16 planes . mind you i just started flying 9 months ago. i highly recomend a radio that you can get recievers for cheap since that is one of the most expensive parts on a plane
Old 07-05-2011, 03:19 AM   #11
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Hi
Heres some very decent prices
http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=2097
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detai...p?ID=200826736
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Having returned to this hobby from the wilderness ... I looked back on previous when I had 13 planes, 2 cars, 4 boats, helicopter ..... 4 radio systems with boxes of Rx's, Servos etc. In fact so much gear that Insurance Co. refused to cover under House policy. I had to take out separate home cover specifically for the model gear ..... and total value when added up was an astounding $20K .....

So knowing my character in this - I had to decide ow to budget ... even middle road radio gear would work out heavy on the bank balance so I looked around for alternatives.

First I went with RTF that included cheap radio ... it worked. Simply put it did the job but lacked the extras like dual-rates etc.
So while enjoying flying and return to heaven ! I kept reading up and looking for radios ....

Finally being a 'scrooge' - I opted for FlySky 9X version 2 system. It arrived and it worked.
It had 8 model memory, all digital trims, all the menu stuff needed for gliders, aero, helicopters .... priced at only slightly more than a Rx for a well known brand of up-market gear.
Nearly one year later ... it's still performing well ... in fact I have fitted FrSky module to it now and put FlySky module aside .... because I wanted to test and pricing of FrSky Rx's with telemetry were so cheap ...

Me ? There will be many that will cry - rubbish ... cheap chinese crap .... etc. Fine - but it works and that's the important bit. For those that say - never allowed in my club etc. - well the FrSky module for one thing is well accepted and regarded by many and in fact fitted to other 'respected' brands such as Hitec, Spektrum etc. as more economic alternative.

I will be buying a load more FrSky Rx's for other planes shortly ....

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 07-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
eseeweb

Great suggestions/reply from everyone, thx. I have experience the same problem of having more planes already. I am still flying the 15e mainly for practicing landing because i still have rough landing or misjudged approach once a while (rookie mistakes, i guess). Saying so, I have planned for a e-flite T34 for a last couple months and impulsively brought a PZ F4U instead a week ago. Just because it look so cool... My wishlist is endless in this rc thing with limited budget.
BTW, i got a lot of different feedback from people in the club. It general come in 3 groups, a) the Hitec A9 people who believe it the ultimate radio b) the Futaba group that using 7c c) the misc group that using Spektrum from Dx5e to Dx8.
My original thought was a used DX6i, then go to A9 that i think it will be a long term solution. The arguement about all the Spektrum radio is that sometime it has a glitch when battary is low. People in the club claim it lost plane cause the rx reboot etc...
While talking about FlySky9x, did anyone try the Tunigy 9. Its from HK?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

The problem with spektrum is that it is something new in an environment where people don't like change.
Don't believe me? Head to your local club and introduce rule changes and see what happens. Lol.
The equipment is good though. People always tell me about the glitching and brownouts with spektrum gear but no-one had had it happen to them. Its always a friend or someone they've talked to.
Or they think it happened to them but the crash was pilot error and something else needed the blame.
If the receiver is placed properly and a very esc is used most of these stories would go away.
Spektrum makes good gear especially at entry level pricing.
The turnigy 9x is interesting. The original had some firm ware issues that they clam has been fixed. There is a very big active user group that releases its own firmware upgrades and starting to get quite the cult following.
A flying buddy of mine uses one and swears by it. He has bought three so far cause the first two broke but he keeps swearing by it.
I've handled it and it does feel of the same quality as other middle of the road tx's.
If you didn't know it was cheap kit you could be fooled into think it ws much more expensive

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Wrongway-Feldman View Post
The problem with spektrum is that it is something new in an environment where people don't like change.
Don't believe me? Head to your local club and introduce rule changes and see what happens. Lol.
The equipment is good though. People always tell me about the glitching and brownouts with spektrum gear but no-one had had it happen to them. Its always a friend or someone they've talked to.
Those club members in my club that have gone to 2.4 Ghz have gone to the Spektrum or JR systems. Nothing else. And for the most part, all have been very happy with them.

As for the brownouts with Spektrum gear, this is a serious issue, and many people have pointed out it is not a receiver issue, its a receiver battery supply issue. Spektrum and other mfgs use what's called a microcontroller to control the receiver. And these microcontrollers have a minimum operating voltage. Go below that minimum voltage, even for a fraction of a millisecond, and that microcontroller will reboot. (That's the nature of these things. If they go below a safe operating voltage, and are programmed to NOT reboot, it might come back on line, scrambled, and inoperative)

Spektrum/JR did a software update several years ago that reduces that reboot time to less than a second. But, the main issue is that receiver power supply. If it EVER drops below perhaps 4 volts DC, you're using the wrong size receiver power system.

This spring, I caught a fellow modeler with a 5 cell 2700 Mah "AA" type nih receiver battery, installed in a $$$$ turbine model! Told him to NEVER fly with that setup again. I've checked peak receiver currents on my giant scale model of 14 Amperes, as measured by a Fluke 87V digital multimeter.

A load of 12 Amps on that 5 cell 2700 Mah battery dropped its output voltage to 3.6 volts and falling fast. He could have lost his turbine model, due to a $35 receiver battery.

I just ran a check on a fellow club members 3200 Mah LiFe battery. Its output voltage dropped to 6.27 Volts DC after a 10 second, 12 Amp load. Even a 5 Cell "Sub C" Nih battery would have problems trying to maintain 6.27 volts at 12 Amps.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 07-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #16
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Friends: (8)

anyone use this new radio yet? Pros/Cons?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9b-r...nel-radio.html

Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory!

AMA #964800
Old 07-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #17
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Originally Posted by jap71173 View Post
anyone use this new radio yet? Pros/Cons?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9b-r...nel-radio.html

READ THEIR WARRANTY STATEMENT, Nota so good if you use it and it fails, it sounds like your out of luck,read it all on the upper link.

Our warranty/ return / exchange policy is very simple. If the item we sent you is defective when you received the shipment from us (NOT AFTER USE), you can report to us by email for return / exchange / refund arrangement.

*** If you used / flew the product, or crashed product, no matter what the reason. We are sorry but we can not be responsible for your crash or use.

*** Return / exchange / refund is not allowed if the item has been used or flew. Please understand that RC helicopters and airplanes can crash if mistake made or you do not know how to fly, any kind of crash or hard landing may caused damage(s) to the helicopter or plane. We have no control over your flying skill, behavior or the conditions you have chosen to fly in. We tested all products before shipment as we stated above, if you have any problem with the aircraft or other product(s) you ordered from us, please report it at the time when you received the shipment (not after use please).

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros