Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Nieuport Fly Guy

Friends: (3)
Default First Build Completed, Pico Tiger Moth

Well after much trial and tribulation...I finished my first build...a GWS Tiger Moth. Still need to work on finish details...but here is a pic attached. It's a little messy, and was quite a learning experience (i.e. put it together multiple times...made mistake like stripping and shorting motor connect to ESC, accidently gluing the servo after attaching the wing...ugh! accidently dripping glue to the motor...having to clean...gluing my teath and fingers together, pouring acetone onto my cuts on my fingers, jabbing a needle into my finger while adding rigging...you name the mistake and I did it!). Also...read the posts to figure a mod for where to place the battery. Decided to attach underneath and to the front of the landing gear. CG seems perfect there. Anyway...it's done! Next thing will be a maiden...but I just want to get a little more practice time in on the Sim and my Champ.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morning Light (1024x685).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	481.5 KB
ID:	149980 Pico Tiger Moth
Old 06-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
wolfewinde

Club: Largo Flying Club
Friends: (4)

Grats on your first build. I think it came out pretty good, actually. I cut out a little of the fuse on each side (only about 1/4 inch deep) so the battery will slip just under the cowl pretty much where you have yours placed.

My guess it that you want to move that battery forward some on your first flight - Moths tend to be more tail heavy than you think they are going to be. Better nose heavy than tail heavy.

Anyway, the Pico Moth is a wonderful airplane - you should get many hours of enjoyment out of her. I like the wires you put on - looks very good.

Wolfe
Old 06-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
RedHeckle

Friends: (0)

Looks good!! The PTM was my start into RC flying back in 2008 and it was a fun build and I learned alot. She's a great slow flyer. I just finished building my 2nd one after losing the first PTM two years ago to wind gusts.

What size is your battery? I was able to fit a 3s 500mah lipo in the battery compartment by carving out some foam on the sides. With my new Moth, I can fit a 2s 800 mah in the battery area by carving out foam on the sides and using velcro to secure battery - it's about 1.5inches away from the front of the fuse. I also use a 3s 900mah and 2s 1350mah but those are mounted similar to yours to the underside of the bottom wing. I do prefer having the battery inside for looks though.

Good luck on your maiden!!!

1st PTM which I learned to fly with back in 2008 (went MIA due to wind gusts back in 2009):

My new Moth finished 2 weeks ago and maidened over the weekend - made me wonder why I waited so long to buy another (I 3rd one still in its box):

Old 06-24-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
Nieuport Fly Guy

Friends: (3)

Hey Red...battery is a 2 cell 850mAh. I did carve out a space in the front but just a pain to get to...then I thought of under the wing...but decided on rigging...and too far back from cg. Tried to do some touch and go...but those cheap wheels broke. Have to get those replaced. Also reinforced the landing gear with a cross bar. Few more details. Just need a little more practice with the Champ to build confidence! Meanwhile, the Tiger Moth sits on the bar wiggling back and forth with the fan on...as if to say..." take me, take me". Fun Fun.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
RedHeckle

Friends: (0)

Cool, she's definately a nice in the air. If you want different wheels, GWS has light foam wheels; I've seen them up to 2in diameter and are less than 1/2 wide. They'd be a bit beefier (though heavier) and look more scale.

Main part, fly it and have fun and yes; the Moth will 'tease' you, just try not to make her too jealous!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Congrats! I have the 400-size TM and love it. I wouldn't mind getting a pico...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

Tags
build , gws pico tiger moth