Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)
Default Had a Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience today

I had the honor of volunteering at an Extreme Makeover-Home Edition build site today. It was a very moving experience! My wife and I arrived at the staging area at 7:00 am to put our name on the list for volunteers. Nothing to do but wait, so I volunteered to direct parking in the meantime. Did that from 8:00 until 12:30 when we were finally given the go ahead to get on the bus to the build site. I had such a great time talking to the people (it seems hundreds) in the cars. All the sub-contractors have to go through the staging area to check in. Every single one was happy to be there and a pleasure to talk to. Then there were spectators, volunteers, people coming in for a "V.I.P." lunch. So much activity!

Once we got on the site, we met the sister of the owner of the General Contractor in charge of the build. She was AWESOME! I got a chance to speak with the owner of the company (Musser Family Homes) briefly as he explained what a few of us needed to do. He only had 3 WEEKS to coordinate this whole operation! And he and every member of his company were smiling, jovial, and very outgoing. I can not imagine how with that logistics nightmare! My wife, unknowingly, struck up a conversation with the owner's mother and father. She got the whole family history, and it was fascinating. Long story short, this is one amazing family!

Seeing the coordination that is involved was incredible. I spoke with one carpenter that had already put in over 80 hours on the project and took a week of vacation to do it! I took away an enormous respect for those tradesmen and a renewed feeling of connectedness to my community.

Oh, and they were filming a TV show, too. Whatever...

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 06-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
1320fastback

Club: Fallbrook R/C Flyers and Oceanside Quiet Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  AV Contest 
Friends: (2)

Thats great.

My company (well the 3 people they sent) framed up a house for a couple with 2 kids who had Spina Bifida. They had been passed over by the TV show but many local construction companies stepped up and made it happen.

I got to frame the walls and hang the shear panel and nail it during the 2 days I was there.

It is sobering seeing what hardships some people go thru on a daily basis.

Classic Sig Kadet/ OK Models SupraFly45/ Eflite SU=26M/ Ritewing TL50/ FPV Twin star/ Pheonix Strega .45/ Nitroplanes Bobcat .75 / Cox .049 Pilot Baby/ AMA#1,000,000

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat