Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,223
Thanked 105 Times in 104 Posts
Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (17)
Default DX4E

Ok windy day here in Wyoming,
so I decided to put together my new Super Cub that came with a Dx4e Transmitter and like any good newbie I read both manuals throughly just in case there were any changes to the Super Cub that I was not aware and their are a few changes non worth mentioning. Also I read the transmitter manual and I have to say I that was the most confusing manual I think I have ever read I was able to figure most of it out with some research here and there. I could not quite find a straight answer to these two questions. What is DSMX and what is DSM2 and what is the difference? I do understand that it has something to do with the idea of not having multiple planes on the same channel. Much like Frequency Radio Hop radios I use in the military. Also I do not quite understand Binding. If I bind the transmitter to another plane do I then have to bind it again if I wish to go back to the original pane? Finally I assume that Spektrum is proprietary (spelling) in other words I can only by receivers, servos etc that will are made for Spectrum. Is this correct? I originally thought you could bind any transmitter to any type of equipment. If anyone can answers these questions in terms this newbie can understand I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance
Fishbonez
Fishbonez is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,539
View xmech2k's Gallery21
Thanked 237 Times in 235 Posts
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (7)
Default

Here's good reading on the DSM/DSM2/DSMX stuff:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Technology/spekTech.aspx

I think there are other aftermarket rcvrs that are "DSM2" or whatever compatable. That's what to look for. But it won't mix, like the others, with Futaba's FASST, and whatever else is out there.
xmech2k is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
simibill
General Factotum
 
simibill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Simi Valley,CA
Posts: 1,141
View simibill's Gallery34
Thanked 53 Times in 53 Posts
Club: Simi Valley Flyers
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (19)
Friends: (10)
Default

DSM (Digital Signal Modulation) was Spektrum's initial 2.4gHz product, DSM2 was an incremental improvement, and finally DSMX which introduced a version of frequency hopping is the most recent improvement. Most Spektrum Tx offer the ability to have multiple model memories, so the same Tx could be used with a number of different Rx. I'm afraid your DX4e will only work with the Rx it is bound to. Yes, there is very limited availability of Rx that will work with Spektrum Tx. Servos are not Spektrum limited. e.g. any brand servo will work with Spektrum systems.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting, Holy Crap... what a ride.
simibill is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor
 
Rockin Robbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DeLand, FL
Posts: 1,633
Thanked 135 Times in 133 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (8)
Default

You mean you can not bind it to any other receiver but the one in that plane? Then the DX4e is different from my DX5e which happily bound to my Radian and now binds with glee to my Vapor, UM T-28 and Slow Stick. I just don't understand model memory addiction at all!

I just bind, move the sticks, throw the necessary reversing switch or two and go fly. What's the big deal? I switch back and forth between planes all the time and have had no issues at all. With the DX5e you don't NEED model memory.

Now DSM2 coincidentally scans the frequency band and picks out two unused frequencies, reserving them for use that session. It's pretty darned good, except that on occasion the two frequencies are too close together to act as a check in case one is jammed. If you have your trusty frequency scanner, you can just shut down the transmitter, turn it back on and you'll be okay. Unfortunately, my frequency scanner is still at the manufacturer waiting to be.....okay, I don't have one. Although extremely rare, the two frequency system has potential problems, but none so bad as the single frequency radios of the past.

DSMX is a true spread spectrum radio that broadcasts on many simultaneous frequencies, all over the band, switching many times per second with the receiver following right along. If a frequency is jammed, then the radio will be on another frequency in a tenth of a second or so and you'll never know there was a problem.

Both are good systems, making radios of the 1990s seem pretty primitive and chancy. There is a rare chance that you might have a jamming problem with DSM2. That can't happen on DSMX.

All the same I'm happy with DSM2 and will upgrade when I get a bee in my bonnet to get a computer radio. Someday a DSM2 DX6i might whisper in my ear for a price I have to listen to and I wouldn't hesitate to make the buy and miss out on DSMX.
Rockin Robbins is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?
 
xmech2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,539
View xmech2k's Gallery21
Thanked 237 Times in 235 Posts
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (7)
Default

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
You mean you can not bind it to any other receiver but the one in that plane? Then the DX4e is different from my DX5e which happily bound to my Radian and now binds with glee to my Vapor, UM T-28 and Slow Stick. I just don't understand model memory addiction at all!
You can do that, but then your trims will be off, any servo reversing would have to be switched, etc. With the model memories, your radio setup for each plane will never change. The other thing is the radios with multi-model memories are computerized, so you now have programmable features not available on the DX4/5. WAY more features! Programmable dual rates, expo, control mixing, etc. You wouldn't want to have to program that stuff every time you switched planes!
xmech2k is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,223
Thanked 105 Times in 104 Posts
Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (17)
Default

Originally Posted by simibill View Post
DSM (Digital Signal Modulation) I'm afraid your DX4e will only work with the Rx it is bound to. Yes, there is very limited availability of Rx that will work with Spektrum Tx. Servos are not Spektrum limited. e.g. any brand servo will work with Spektrum systems.
Well that explains why its so cheap
So if I upgrade to say DX6 or soething like that it will still bind to my plane and maybe some others? As long as I stay with Spectrum Rx

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Fishbonez is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,223
Thanked 105 Times in 104 Posts
Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (17)
Default

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
You can do that, but then your trims will be off, any servo reversing would have to be switched, etc. With the model memories, your radio setup for each plane will never change. The other thing is the radios with multi-model memories are computerized, so you now have programmable features not available on the DX4/5. WAY more features! Programmable dual rates, expo, control mixing, etc. You wouldn't want to have to program that stuff every time you switched planes!
Good point,
got me thinking
That can be scary

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Fishbonez is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:24 AM   #8
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN
 
kenchiroalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,837
View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Thanked 300 Times in 294 Posts
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (168)
Default

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Well that explains why its so cheap
So if I upgrade to say DX6 or soething like that it will still bind to my plane and maybe some others? As long as I stay with Spectrum Rx
Hi
Yes it would
I allways recommend the best charger and best TX you can afford as they are the most important items in this hobby imho
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
kenchiroalpha is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF
 
Wildflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lacey WA, 1 mile E of Mushroom Corner
Posts: 1,107
Thanked 130 Times in 126 Posts
Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
iTrader: (3)
Friends: (7)
Default

I hope everyone knows that, the Receiver is bound to the transmitter.
Not the trans to the rec.

The transmitter has a unique code number embedded in the transmitted signal, that the receiver must learn and remember, before it will work with it.

If your transmitter does not have memory, it is not the end of the world, you simply have a unit very much like any system from the 1960's to maybe into the 1990's or later.
we simply adjusted the basic trims and travel ranges mechanically in the plane, not electronically in the transmitter.
If you wanted mixing for a V tail plane, you made a device that moved one servo back and forth with another.

I agree you should buy the best transmitter you can afford, but there is still a lot of fun in any system that simply works.

I had several receivers for one transmitter, all set up in different planes, and sometimes flew all of them in one day.

Today, most all servos will work with Spektrum systems, old Futaba servos used 1.38 ms as neutral, but I used to get inside them and reset them to 1.5 ms and use them any way, some Airtronics use a different wiring pattern at the plug, and you would have to change that. A basic servo is just a basic servo, there may be some servo some where that will only work with a certain system, but I can't think of it.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Wildflyer is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
NJSwede
3D wannabe
 
NJSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,722
View NJSwede's Gallery1
Thanked 105 Times in 102 Posts
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (10)
Default

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Well that explains why its so cheap
So if I upgrade to say DX6 or soething like that it will still bind to my plane and maybe some others? As long as I stay with Spectrum Rx
You can bind the DX4e to any DSM2/DMSX compatible receiver. The manual clearly states that in several places (just looked online). So if you, for example, go out to buy a T28D (which I predict you're going to do once you've flown the snot out of the SC), you should be able to fly get it BNF and reuse the DX4e with it. You're going to want model memory, expo and mixes soon, though, but one thing at a time... :-)

AMA #959089
NJSwede is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
Bald Paul
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 58
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (0)
Default

As I re-entered the hobby, I bought a Spektrum DX5e, and it was a very good unit. I actually bought it as an upgrade to the radio supplied with an ARF. Since then I've aquired a few more planes (funny how that happens!) and consequently upgraded again to a 6-channel Tx with multiple model memory.
From this experience, I can suggest you spend a bit more money initially, because you'll end up doing it anyway down the road (runway?)
Bald Paul is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
NJSwede
3D wannabe
 
NJSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,722
View NJSwede's Gallery1
Thanked 105 Times in 102 Posts
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (10)
Default

Paul, I had the exact same experience. I figure "I'm never going to own more than one or two models, so model memory is just unnecessary luxury". Boy was I wrong! But as you say, the DX5e is a fantastic unit that you unfortunately outgrow quickly...

AMA #959089
NJSwede is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,223
Thanked 105 Times in 104 Posts
Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (17)
Default Let see if I got this

Ok so lets see if I understand this. Basically my Dx4e is junk except for the fact that it does work with my new cub which I am pleased about... but If I purchase say Dx6i because Dx7 is not made anymore and Dx8 is just a bit out of price range and expect to get any lovin from the wife.
It should then bind to my Cub and bind to my old cub FWD. On top of that in theory my Dx4e should then bind to FWD as well. Thus being able to remove the TX that orginally came with FWD and give my daughter dx4e so that she could then fly both Cubs and I could begine a build that I am thinking about doing as long as the Rx is DSMX compatible. Are you confused yet because I think I am

The Idea is I dont want a bunch Tx lying around the house and I want a Tx that I feel comfortable with so if I purchase a new plane or build one of my own I dont waist time and money on Tx and Rx that dont work. The Binding process already sounds as confusing as all be in the first place but I think I can get around that with a little of oops jacked that all up try again.

Now I know this is like Chevy to Fords but does anyone have recommendation for any ither brand rather than Spectrum I use Chellie for example she like Bergs Tx for she has had a lot of success with those. Just some food for thought here
Thanks inadvance
Fishbonez

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Fishbonez is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN
 
kenchiroalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,837
View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Thanked 300 Times in 294 Posts
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (168)
Default

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Ok so lets see if I understand this. Basically my Dx4e is junk except for the fact that it does work with my new cub which I am pleased about... but If I purchase say Dx6i because Dx7 is not made anymore and Dx8 is just a bit out of price range and expect to get any lovin from the wife.
It should then bind to my Cub and bind to my old cub FWD. On top of that in theory my Dx4e should then bind to FWD as well. Thus being able to remove the TX that orginally came with FWD and give my daughter dx4e so that she could then fly both Cubs and I could begine a build that I am thinking about doing as long as the Rx is DSMX compatible. Are you confused yet because I think I am

The Idea is I dont want a bunch Tx lying around the house and I want a Tx that I feel comfortable with so if I purchase a new plane or build one of my own I dont waist time and money on Tx and Rx that dont work. The Binding process already sounds as confusing as all be in the first place but I think I can get around that with a little of oops jacked that all up try again.

Now I know this is like Chevy to Fords but does anyone have recommendation for any ither brand rather than Spectrum I use Chellie for example she like Bergs Tx for she has had a lot of success with those. Just some food for thought here
Thanks inadvance

Fishbonez
Hi
Ived used JR for years am now using a JR 12 X
JR Txs are very well made, dependable and very capable
And i tried and owned just about TX out there
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
kenchiroalpha is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor
 
Rockin Robbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DeLand, FL
Posts: 1,633
Thanked 135 Times in 133 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (8)
Default

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
You can do that, but then your trims will be off, any servo reversing would have to be switched, etc. With the model memories, your radio setup for each plane will never change. The other thing is the radios with multi-model memories are computerized, so you now have programmable features not available on the DX4/5. WAY more features! Programmable dual rates, expo, control mixing, etc. You wouldn't want to have to program that stuff every time you switched planes!
Okay, so like I said zip! zip! Two axes on the throttle stick. Click! (had to reverse the rudder there) Zip! Zip! Two axes on the right stick (both okay, just leave 'em alone). This takes longer to type than it does to do. But it justifies spending three times more for a radio because it's........cool I guess.

Elevator trim is the same for any properly trimmed plane, flat level will fly just fine. If it doesn't your CG is off, but you can dial in a click or two in flight to compensate. Again, that is quicker than typing it. Rudder is easy enough to remember from plane to plane and set by eye on the ground.

Actually, the only reason that means anything important for model memory is to remember channel mixing, dual rate settings (they work differently in a computer radio!) and exponential rate adjustments. Why? Because only there is one model very different from another.

Regardless of what kind of radio you use, shouldn't you verify the proper direction of control movements every flight before you fly? If you have a computer radio and find that the movement is reversed, what do you do? Throw the switch just like I would.

The excuses for computer radios sometimes sound like a man who can't run 100 yards in ten seconds using that as an excuse to use a wheelchair. The argument just doesn't follow.

Model memory is for dual rate, exponential rate and channel mixing. The other stuff is just non-essential window dressing having nothing to do with the usefulness of the radio any more than the color of the transmitter case.

In the 1980s I had a Futaba FP7FGK with dual rate and expo but no model memory and I thought I was living in the space age! Model memory was so outlandish nobody thought of it then. Was too ignorant to miss it and flew multiple planes with no problems.
Rockin Robbins is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #16
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher
 
CrimzonRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NW Oklahoma
Posts: 1,300
View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Thanked 100 Times in 99 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Friends: (14)
Default

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post

Now I know this is like Chevy to Fords but does anyone have recommendation for any ither brand rather than Spectrum I use Chellie for example she like Bergs Tx for she has had a lot of success with those. Just some food for thought here
Thanks inadvance
Fishbonez
I also like Jr, I have a dsx7 as my first comp. radio, yes it took me a couple of weeks to get the menus down verbatim and I love all the shiny new switches and buttons and I enjoy doing my own mixing and all the other bells and whistles. That being said I fly two bnf planes with a Dx5e and I will carry it whenever I fly and looking back I probably didnt really "need" a comp. radio. But I found one barely used and it was too good of a deal to pass up. Futuba radios are pretty popular around here too.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4454
just a little light reading on computer radios and why to buy them.....

have a good one
cr
CrimzonRider is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor
 
Figure.N9ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,138
View Figure.N9ne's Gallery8
Thanked 79 Times in 77 Posts
Club: Mako's RC Jet Club
Send a message via AIM to Figure.N9ne
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Okay, so like I said zip! zip! Two axes on the throttle stick. Click! (had to reverse the rudder there) Zip! Zip! Two axes on the right stick (both okay, just leave 'em alone). This takes longer to type than it does to do. But it justifies spending three times more for a radio because it's........cool I guess.

Elevator trim is the same for any properly trimmed plane, flat level will fly just fine. If it doesn't your CG is off, but you can dial in a click or two in flight to compensate. Again, that is quicker than typing it. Rudder is easy enough to remember from plane to plane and set by eye on the ground.

Actually, the only reason that means anything important for model memory is to remember channel mixing, dual rate settings (they work differently in a computer radio!) and exponential rate adjustments. Why? Because only there is one model very different from another.

Regardless of what kind of radio you use, shouldn't you verify the proper direction of control movements every flight before you fly? If you have a computer radio and find that the movement is reversed, what do you do? Throw the switch just like I would.

The excuses for computer radios sometimes sound like a man who can't run 100 yards in ten seconds using that as an excuse to use a wheelchair. The argument just doesn't follow.

Model memory is for dual rate, exponential rate and channel mixing. The other stuff is just non-essential window dressing having nothing to do with the usefulness of the radio any more than the color of the transmitter case.

In the 1980s I had a Futaba FP7FGK with dual rate and expo but no model memory and I thought I was living in the space age! Model memory was so outlandish nobody thought of it then. Was too ignorant to miss it and flew multiple planes with no problems.
actually, computer radios have other useful features and just because you don't use them, doesnt make them "window dressing". one very obvious example is helicopters. Another is throttle curves on 3d planes.

if you only have 1 plane you fly per day, or a couple of very similar planes, then I guess a non-computer radio is ok. But I and a lot of people go to the field with 3,4,10 planes and helis and it would be impossible without a computer radio or tons of patience. An average day at the field for me involves 1 3d plane, 1 delta, 1 war bird and a heli. Each of the fixed wing planes have at the least 3 mixes, and radically different dual rate, EPA, and expo settings. The helicopter would take about 30 minutes to program with a pre-made setup. Let's not forget the people that need more than 4 or 5 channels. Cylic E-rings, built in governors, higher resolution and lower latency, etc.

Figure.N9ne is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #18
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN
 
kenchiroalpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,837
View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Thanked 300 Times in 294 Posts
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (168)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Figure.N9ne View Post
actually, computer radios have other useful features and just because you don't use them, doesnt make them "window dressing". one very obvious example is helicopters. Another is throttle curves on 3d planes.

if you only have 1 plane you fly per day, or a couple of very similar planes, then I guess a non-computer radio is ok. But I and a lot of people go to the field with 3,4,10 planes and helis and it would be impossible without a computer radio or tons of patience. An average day at the field for me involves 1 3d plane, 1 delta, 1 war bird and a heli. Each of the fixed wing planes have at the least 3 mixes, and radically different dual rate, EPA, and expo settings. The helicopter would take about 30 minutes to program with a pre-made setup. Let's not forget the people that need more than 4 or 5 channels. Cylic E-rings, built in governors, higher resolution and lower latency, etc.
Hi
Excellent posting
As one with a large hanger of fixed and rotary wing aircraft of all types i agree whole heartedly
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
kenchiroalpha is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #19
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor
 
Rockin Robbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DeLand, FL
Posts: 1,633
Thanked 135 Times in 133 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (8)
Default

Originally Posted by Figure.N9ne View Post
actually, computer radios have other useful features and just because you don't use them, doesnt make them "window dressing". one very obvious example is helicopters. Another is throttle curves on 3d planes.

if you only have 1 plane you fly per day, or a couple of very similar planes, then I guess a non-computer radio is ok. But I and a lot of people go to the field with 3,4,10 planes and helis and it would be impossible without a computer radio or tons of patience. An average day at the field for me involves 1 3d plane, 1 delta, 1 war bird and a heli. Each of the fixed wing planes have at the least 3 mixes, and radically different dual rate, EPA, and expo settings. The helicopter would take about 30 minutes to program with a pre-made setup. Let's not forget the people that need more than 4 or 5 channels. Cylic E-rings, built in governors, higher resolution and lower latency, etc.
You're not communicating, you're bragging. We're supposed to be giving advice to a new flier who is looking for a quality radio The advice is for fishbonez, not you. You are an advanced flier. Fishbonez is a new flier. He needs to learn the basics, then he can advance at his own pace to the stuff you brag (rightfully!) about.

A DX5e or DX4e is a great purchase because they are quality radios that do more and do it better than just about any radio from the 1980s. In those days radios were analog. A trim position wasn't a trim position even. The next time you turned on the radio you'd have to find the new correct trim position.

After he advances to the point where he's ready to wrestle with the steep learning curve of a computer radio the basic radio is still VERY useful as it can be used as a buddy box.

I'm very happy that you've found a use for all the throttle curves, and different mixes that I already talked about in the post you don't seem to agree with even though it specified that the computer radios were very useful for channel mixes, dual and exponential rates. The throttle curve IS a type of exponential rate by the way. Let's double check to see that I covered your point. Yup I said it. Those fancy capabilities are the true usefulness of a computer radio.

If you're a newbie you have other things to be concerned about rather than programming your radio, which from the posts on Wattflier, seems to be a complicated and frustrating thing in itself.

A newbie should be interested in eliminating as many variables (the same variables that experienced fliers love!) as possible and narrowing their focus on one thing and one thing only: learning how to fly.

Putting the cart before the horse and complicating the process beyond the newbie's capability to process all the interactions is the surest way to kick them right out of the hobby.

What is excellent advice for you can be terrible advice for a newcomer to our hobby. Giving them advice based on "1 3d plane, 1 delta, 1 war bird and a heli. Each of the fixed wing planes have at the least 3 mixes, and radically different dual rate, EPA, and expo settings. The helicopter would take about 30 minutes to program with a pre-made setup. Let's not forget the people that need more than 4 or 5 channels. Cylic E-rings, built in governors, higher resolution and lower latency, etc" is just plain foolishness.
Rockin Robbins is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:51 AM   #20
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher
 
CrimzonRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NW Oklahoma
Posts: 1,300
View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Thanked 100 Times in 99 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Friends: (14)
Default

As a beginner(still) myself, I didn't take fig.9's post to be bragging(maybe a little). Also, Fishbone is not a total newb, and a pretty good flier starting out as per his vids. It seems to me that upon his daughter showing interest in this hobby, he is thinking about "upgrading" his tx possibly to a computer tx and passing on his "old tx to his daughter and asked about what people thought about different tx brands. I was in his shoes no that long ago with only a dx5e, and I am sure that everyone here was at one time or another.

IMHO it seems that he is showing interest in computer radios, whether or not he is ready for them, no one but Fishbone knows that. I am sure whatever he gets he will keep on flying and having fun.

As his last post asks, "but does anyone have recommendation for any other brand rather than Spectrum".

have a good one
cr
CrimzonRider is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #21
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,223
Thanked 105 Times in 104 Posts
Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (17)
Default

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
As a beginner(still) myself, I didn't take fig.9's post to be bragging(maybe a little). Also, Fishbone is not a total newb, and a pretty good flier starting out as per his vids. It seems to me that upon his daughter showing interest in this hobby, he is thinking about "upgrading" his tx possibly to a computer tx and passing on his "old tx to his daughter and asked about what people thought about different tx brands. I was in his shoes not that long ago with only a dx5e, and I am sure that everyone here was at one time or another.

IMHO it seems that he is showing interest in computer radios, whether or not he is ready for them, no one but Fishbone knows that. I am sure whatever he gets he will keep on flying and having fun.

As his last post asks, "but does anyone have recommendation for any other brand rather than Spectrum".

have a good one
cr
Well definitly kicked off some debate here. Which is good because debate sparks great ideas and great information.

Crimzon thanks fo the complment but I would still classify mysef as a complete newbie. I am interested in a computer Tx, even though I just now learned that is what they were called, because I would like invest in some new planes or even possibly build my own sometime here in the near future. However I am interested in planes that come with its own Tx and I just dont see the need for a Tx for every plane, maybe I am ignorent well I know I am, and think a good Tx is a good investment but I am to new to understand them they a far more complex than I thought. I dont see my daughter going to far into this hobby because of school and Im to cool for school and dad thing etc etc however I still want her to enjoy FWD.

I Love Hanks pics of the numerouse Tx's some look like they are ready for a museum Sorry Hank.

I like to shop around compare all my options just to ignorent to know what to look for in a Tx. If binding seems to be too dificult for me then maybe I should allow the Tx collection to grow just like the master RC Plane mentor Hank

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Fishbonez is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #22
NJSwede
3D wannabe
 
NJSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,722
View NJSwede's Gallery1
Thanked 105 Times in 102 Posts
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (10)
Default

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
You're not communicating, you're bragging. We're supposed to be giving advice to a new flier who is looking for a quality radio The advice is for fishbonez, not you. You are an advanced flier. Fishbonez is a new flier.
Robbins, as a new flier myself, I have to respectfully but firmly disagree with you. I've been flying less than a year, but I'm flying a tame warbird (T28D), a powered glider (Hawk Sky), a dual EDF (Dynam A-10) and a couple of micros on a regular basis. Add to that the 3D-bird (Airfoilz Extra 300NX) and the speed monster (my contest scratch build). That's a collection of planes that couldn't be more different in terms of flying characteristics. The 3D bird and the speed monster and to some extent the A-10 probably wouldn't be flyable without expo (room for elitist "back in the days when I started, I could fly 3D with a one channel radio" here!). I can bet you good money I would have forgotten the servo reversal and crashed a plane by now if I hadn't had model memory. All in all, the computer radio is giving me more air time and less setup time, more enjoyable flying and fewer crashes. That's definitely worth the extra money I put into it. In fact, the radio has already paid for itself. A few times I've been puzzled why the plane wouldn't respond to my commands when I powered it up. It was, of course, because I had the wrong model dialed in and the ModelMatch feature kicked in and saved the day. Without that, I would probably have crashed my plane, since virtually all my planes have different servo reversals.

I think it all boils down to different schools of thought. Sure, I see guys at the field with 5-10 models and a radio that predates me and they're doing fine. However, when there's helpful technology available at a price that most of us can afford, I see no reason not accepting the help it offers.

AMA #959089
NJSwede is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #23
NJSwede
3D wannabe
 
NJSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,722
View NJSwede's Gallery1
Thanked 105 Times in 102 Posts
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (10)
Default

So, to summarize my recommendation (with all the usual newbie disclaimers) to Fishbonez:

1) I don't think your DX4e is junk. It's probably doing a stellar job doing what it was designed for. Go out and fly your cub instead of listening to us bickering!
2) When you get your T28D or whatever your next bird is going to be, you can save a few bucks by getting the BNF and continue using your DX4e with it. You'll be just fine doing that.
3) At some point, you're going to want more advanced features. But you can safely ignore that right now as you are about 2 planes away from it.
4) If I was to recommend a starter kit for someone who's really determined to get into RC flying, I'd probably side with the folks recommending a good tx as a first purchase. But that's a moot point in Fishbonez' case, since he's already all set it terms of equipment. Again, go out and fly that cub instead of listening to this crap!

AMA #959089
NJSwede is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #24
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor
 
Figure.N9ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,138
View Figure.N9ne's Gallery8
Thanked 79 Times in 77 Posts
Club: Mako's RC Jet Club
Send a message via AIM to Figure.N9ne
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Robbins, as a new flier myself, I have to respectfully but firmly disagree with you. I've been flying less than a year, but I'm flying a tame warbird (T28D), a powered glider (Hawk Sky), a dual EDF (Dynam A-10) and a couple of micros on a regular basis. Add to that the 3D-bird (Airfoilz Extra 300NX) and the speed monster (my contest scratch build). That's a collection of planes that couldn't be more different in terms of flying characteristics. The 3D bird and the speed monster and to some extent the A-10 probably wouldn't be flyable without expo (room for elitist "back in the days when I started, I could fly 3D with a one channel radio" here!). I can bet you good money I would have forgotten the servo reversal and crashed a plane by now if I hadn't had model memory. All in all, the computer radio is giving me more air time and less setup time, more enjoyable flying and fewer crashes. That's definitely worth the extra money I put into it. In fact, the radio has already paid for itself. A few times I've been puzzled why the plane wouldn't respond to my commands when I powered it up. It was, of course, because I had the wrong model dialed in and the ModelMatch feature kicked in and saved the day. Without that, I would probably have crashed my plane, since virtually all my planes have different servo reversals.

I think it all boils down to different schools of thought. Sure, I see guys at the field with 5-10 models and a radio that predates me and they're doing fine. However, when there's helpful technology available at a price that most of us can afford, I see no reason not accepting the help it offers.
Exactly. Sure, preflights and rebinding works in theory, but we're humans and make mistakes. Model Match helps us when our brains skip a few steps which is easy while at the field chatting, and in general being excited to fly. If the OP is interested in a computer radio and can afford it, it would be shame to sway him towards a basic radio just because he doesn't need all the functions right now. He may learn fast, I've known guys who have gone from flying trainers to 3d planes in under a month and now they need another radio. He may want a helicopter and then he'll need another radio. More expense, and more relearning. Like Hank says, buy the best radio and charger you can afford. You may not need it now, but you will eventually and it'll be more expensive to buy twice. When I first started flying I bought the original dx6 thinking that was all I would need. I outgrew it in under 3 months and needed another radio. I lost money on that deal and ended up with a bunch of outdated receivers. I then bought a dx7 which has served me well for about 4 years.

I wasn't bragging, I program mixes for all planes, I even put mixes on trainers for friends. They make all planes fly better and eliminate bad tendencies that some models have out of the box. I program a switch to give hand launch planes some elevator so a beginner doesn't have to rush to the controls. I program some elevator to throttle for planes that tend to climb at full throttle. I program knife edge mixes in all planes because it makes the rudder react more "straight" instead of making the plane dive or climb when they use it. None of these things are for bragging rights, they are features built into the radios that people buy and can be learned with short videos people post on youtube.

And yes, since you already have the dx4e, use it until you outgrow it. But for the next one, buy more than you'll need right now, because you'll eventually need it.

Figure.N9ne is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #25
wolfewinde
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 537
Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts
Club: Largo Flying Club
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (4)
Default

Heya Fish,

Sounds like you are planning to stay with the hobby. If you do, you will probably end up wanting to teach others to fly - especially your daughter.

Best way to do that, I am finding as I start teaching my grandkids to fly, is with a buddy box system so you can take back control when they get in trouble. For that, you need 2 radios that can be hooked together with a cord.

I use 2 DX6i's, and it works very well. I though hard about spending another 150 on the second radio, but I am glad I did now. It has saved triple it's cost in lost airplanes already, and I am just getting started.

So my point is, get a DX6i now - it is a very good radio that you will probably never out grow. Save the mony you would have spent on a better radio and plan to get a second radio later to buddy box with your daughter. Not sure if you can use the 4e for that or no, but it would be worth a try.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 0.87952 seconds with 68 queries