Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

View Davethebluessinger's Gallery4
Club: Longdon Flying Club
Friends: (9)
Lightbulb GWS Props

Hi folks,
Thought I'd just post this little tip for those of you, like me who use GWS props on smaller aircraft.
I've started using a GWS 6 x 3 on my mini swift recently (Park 250 motor) and I've noticed that if I use a prop saver (O ring type) that after a few days the prop starts to deflect (even when stationary) because of the tension being applied by the O ring, small white "stress marks" appear in the plastic. You can't put too large (slack) an O ring on there because you need that tension to hold the prop snug and centred.

To help prevent this put a couple of very small blobs of hot melt glue right at the root of the blades where they join the hub of the prop. You need to make the blobs as uniform as possible so as to avoid imbalance in the prop but I've found that you don't have to be utra precise - "close enough" will do as the glue is so close to the centre point of the prop. If the prop does vibrate add a dot more glue to one side or the other until it's balanced again.
This additional "shoulder" of hot melt also adds extra strength and prevents too much deflection when the prop comes under load.

You don't have to do this with a brand new prop (but I'd recommend it). You can do this to old props, the heat of the hot melt normalises the plastic where its stressed and extends the life of the prop.

Hope this is of use!

Dave

EFlight Mini Pulse XT, Durafly Dynamic S, Scratch Built 52" Pushycat, HK 330 Edge Profile, HK Mini Spirit, Thunder Tiger EHawk 1500.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
gazza2007au

Friends: (0)

sounds like your using the incorrect bands prop savers come with all different sizes of bands u need to find a good match to suit your prop saver and prop as some props have different thickness hubs so if u are stressing the prop the band is to tight
Old 07-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

I use automotive type o rings, i like the o rings that are used for auto air conditioning, i think they are made from silicon, they are green in color, soft and dont crack like the rubber ones do, also i think the cold climate where your at has a lot to do with the rubber o ring getting hard and brittle and wearing a spot on the prop. just my 2 cents worth, Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R134A-AIR-...item2a11f57470

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Paul Cook

Friends: (0)
Default new member

I use gws props on my park flyers. I do not experioence the problem. I have quit using O-rings. I buy latex sursgical tubing, similar to what I have used for high-starts. I cut 1/8 inch lengths, more or less depending on amount of tension I want. I find it easier to put on than o-rings. I get the tubing at Lowes. Less expensive than 0-rings also.
Paul

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings