Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
mdflys

Friends: (0)
Default Cessna 337 motor issues

Hi all,
I have an interseting situation I hope to get some help with. I have a Park scale Cessna 337 with 2 2024-1000 motors, 2 12 amp esc and planned to use a 1000 mah 20C 2 cell lipo.
Upon doing a run up of the motors on the bench, the front motor runs fine but the rear motor starts slow, runs in one direction then slows even more and begins to run in the opposite direction, then at full throtle stops all together.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
Old 06-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

I cant find any info about those motors on the net. Figuring the kv is 1000, but do you have a watt meter? If so, How many amps are you getting. Have you tried the same setup with dual batterys? Whats the specs on the plane? You said park scale, under 24" WS? Just need a bit more info....

BTW Welcome to wattflyers. IMHO I suspect you might not have enough battery. But I might be wrong. Surely someone will get this one figured out, lots and lots of very knowledgeable rc pilots here.

Here's a good thread

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24238

have a good one
cr
Old 06-27-2011, 01:13 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Originally Posted by mdflys View Post
Hi all,
I have an interseting situation I hope to get some help with. I have a Park scale Cessna 337 with 2 2024-1000 motors, 2 12 amp esc and planned to use a 1000 mah 20C 2 cell lipo.
Upon doing a run up of the motors on the bench, the front motor runs fine but the rear motor starts slow, runs in one direction then slows even more and begins to run in the opposite direction, then at full throtle stops all together.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
Hi Mark we need more information on the motors, are they brush or brushless motors ?, are they on a gear box ? are you trying to run both motors from one 1000mah lipo, did you disconnect the bec red wire from one of the ESC what size prop are you using and what type of prop are they, if you have a web site on where you bought the motors that will help, Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
mdflys

Chellie,

Thanks for the responce. The motors are Turnigy Brushless 2024-1600kv,(sorry small print in a cowled area) direct drive. Yes I have disconnected one of the red wires. I've got e8x4.3 props. I purchased these motors and escs at hobbyking. I must have at least a couple dozen these motors/escs in varius sizes and have found them to be very reliable.
On the watt meter- starting with the 1000mah @ 7.8v the rear motor cuts out at about half throtle and the front runs up to 4.6a, 30 to 35 watts and the batt drops to 7.19v after about 30sec to a min.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
mdflys

ChrimzonRider,

Thank for the welcome. I goofed on the Kv's they are actually 1600kv. Purchased at hobbyKing. I put the plane on the Watt meter and got around 4.6amps. I even tried
a 3 cell with the same results. Rear motor cuts out completely at around half throtle.
The amps did increase as expected to around 6/7.
The plane is a Zekes' Park Scale 37" WS, Recommended: Dual GWS IPS-S2 w/GWS 7x4.5 prop
Old 06-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Sorry for all the questions, How big(mah's) was the 3cell that you used and do you have two similar batterys that you could wire one batt to one motor and the other battery to the other motor. I dont have a twin engine plane, but lots of other people here do, and they almost always have dual esc and dual batterys.

Or you might have just got a bad one on the rear motor. But I still suspect that you dont have enough battery, 1000mah on two 12amp max motors seems like a lot.

Chellie will probably log in a bit, she might have a better idea as she has a wealth of information way beyond me.

have a good one
cr
Old 06-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #7
mdflys

cr,
the 3cell is a 1500mah and I do have a few more but I pulled the two escs into one tail. I do have more escs so I may try to change that out. I was hoping to stay w/ one batt to keep weight down. I have a GWS twin w/ a couple brushed motors that
I run on a 1000mha batt and get about 7-8 minute flights. Was hoping the cessna would follow suit.

MD
Old 06-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #8
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

cr,
the 3cell is a 1500mah and I do have a few more but I pulled the two escs into one tail. I do have more escs so I may try to change that out. I was hoping to stay w/ one batt to keep weight down. I have a GWS twin w/ a couple brushed motors that
I run on a 1000mha batt and get about 7-8 minute flights. Was hoping the cessna would follow suit.

MD
I would probably just swap the esc's like you said and see if the second motor still doesnt run up. Then I would be calling hobbyking!!

have a good one
cr
Old 06-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Ok you have a 20 AMP lipo, 1000mah x 20C = 20 amps, if its in good shape, it should do the job, second, how long are the battery cables, from the battery to the esc, if they are to long, that will cause a problem or if they are to thin, also you may need to set the throttle end points on both ESC. check for loose connections on your battery to esc and from esc to the motor, check the solder connection, a bad solder connection will cause a lot of problems, the problem sounds to me like a lack of battery power to the rear motor, try each motor seperate, switch the ESC around and see if the problem still happens, you could have a bad rear motor, check everything, pull on the wires a little, sometimes that will show a problem with a bad or loose connection, you might need to use 2 seperate lipos, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...tle+end+points

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

cr,

MD
Hi mdfly I did not understand this part of your post, but I pulled the two escs into one tail

Old 06-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
mdflys

the 2 escs are joined together at the batt leads with one jst lead for the lipo
Old 06-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
mdflys

Chellie,
Is that your 337 in the pic? What size props are those and where can I get a set?
My initial plan for this plane was exactly what you have shown here. I wasn't able
to find 3 blade push/pull props.
Very nice looking plane. Does it fly as good as it looks

MD
Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Chellie,
Is that your 337 in the pic? What size props are those and where can I get a set?
My initial plan for this plane was exactly what you have shown here. I wasn't able
to find 3 blade push/pull props.
Very nice looking plane. Does it fly as good as it looks

MD
Hi MD Thats not my plane, i just wanted to get a pic of what plane we were talking about If you switch the esc, the front esc to power the rear motor and the rear esc to the front motor, does the problem reverse its self if so, the rear motor or esc is defective, or the esc is not set properly, check the timing on both esc.

you dont need a push prop, just make sure the numbers on the prop are faceing towards the front,

Heads Up Rc has some 3 blade props
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...nch/Categories

HK has some 3 blade props too
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=308

Old 07-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #14
mdflys

Follow Up for all the above.

Switched out the rear esc, no change. Front working fine. Soooo, rear motor faulty.
Thought I found a loose wire, repaired, but to no avail.
Unfortunately, I don't have a spare for this one. Will have to order another and try again.
Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:12 AM   #15
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Srry to hear about bad motor, sometimes it happens even nib. Just got a bad esc from tower hobbies. QAQC is not what it used to be.

have a good one
cr

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions